Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

How many of us fly without AI traffic?

I'm very interested to know how many of us fly WITHOUT AI traffic?My personal preference is to fly without AI traffic. Whilst I do enjoy taxying round a large airport busy with real airlines, I don't enjoy the framerate ;) I also do most of my flying with ATC provided by RC3. Whilst I did enjoy the MS ATC for a short while, it soon became apparent that it's very limited and very inflexible. RC3 provides a much more realistic ATC environment - I can actually fly SIDS and STARS, I can perform step climbs, and ATC doesn't hand me off to a dozen different control towers when I'm on my approach :) Alas, RC3 doesn't interact with AI traffic :(Don't get me wrong, I think Project AI and the other AI gurus out there are doing a fantastic job. I've spent entire weekends adding many AI airlines to my FS2002. It's just that flying with AI at the moment means a hefty framerate hit and being lumbered with Microsoft's inflexible and unrealistic ATC.If only we could have realistic ATC *and* AI traffic that didn't massacre framerates......here's to hoping that FS2004 will finally bring these two features together!

I fly without A1 traffic also. Just too hard on frame rates. It's a trade-off, I guess, until I either upgrade my computer, or Microsoft comes up with something. I don't really miss the traffic that much.

Guest outtatimeiii

I only turn on the AI when I feel lonely being the only airplane in the sky :) LOL. They dont really impact the fps too much on my comp, but they are just too stupid too keep on LOL. I rather fly alone than almost getting run over by a AI plane during landing.

I as of recently fly almost entirely without AI traffic. While I love the work done by Project AI, the traffic in fs2002 just is too basic for use. I have started flying real world sids/stars lately and the ATC was cancelling all my flights because of it, so I just shut it off. AI traffic soon followed as mid-air collisions are just too common. I was thinking of just turning off collisions and just ignoring the AI as we did back in FS2000 with Lago's great FS Traffic, but I haven't done that yet. I just tune in to some real-world traffic in the backround and fly alone in the sky. Just hearing the real world chatter in the backround feels more real to me and I don't have to worry about a 747 taking out my little commuter plane on finals. I'm starting to look more seriously at getting Rc3, but with Lago's Tornado and Simflyers CYYZ coming out together, by credit card is running a little hot right now from all the use! ;)

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I've taken to flying most of my flights online.That means no AI or FS ATC anymore, so I turned AI to 0. Helps on performance but mainly on loading times.Before I flew with full AI (100% with full projectAI engaged plus some unofficial addons). Was great too.

Guest Maul

Hello all,I only fly online now. I used to use MyTraffic, then PAI, then the ttools and lots of unofficial timetables and liveries. I was used to enjoying low framerates, but I got broadband a week ago so I'm all about VATSIM now! Zero AI traffic!EricWho Wants To Fly The Big Jets In & Out Of Chicago O'Hare...I DO! :-wave

I do not fly with any. I got so tired of doing a low visibility ILS approach just to hear from the ATC at 200 feet to do a go around. It always seems to me that whenever I try to land a AI plane will get in front of me starting the whole go around thing.

I don't use AI traffic because they don't fly to the places I go, so it's no use leaving it turned on.

Guest jason2112

For me it's the frame rate hit that prohibits the use of AI traffic. I only have a modest Duron 1000, and while seeing dozens of Lufthansa planes at EDDF or United ones at KORD, my computer is too slow to maintain fluid control in these situations.One thing that I turn to 100% all the time is autogen. I love this feature, because I spend a lot of my time flying VFR under 8000 ft, and the 3D objects on the ground make a big difference to me. Suddenly there's a world out there ...Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]

well,I sure understand your concerns for framerates etc., but I you have a decent system,some time investment into this AI is really a must: it adds an enormously amount of realism.OK,it takes time,but after all it's all worth it.All this wouldn't be possbible of course without PAI and MRAI,AFCAD,TTOOLS,AITM,...

Guest Bigshot

Sometimes I turn it on. But mostly I fly without it. Don't use the radios either except to navigate. Got tired of asking for clearance only to be told to fly right. Never have figured out what that means.

I'm running FS2002 on an XP1800 with 512 megs RAM and a GF3 Ti500. Not exactly top of the range I know, but it's no slouch either.I run FS2002 at 1280x960 32bit, 32 aniso, terrain mesh slider at 80, max scenery and autogen density. I also use Lago Terramesh for Europe and Realscene terrain mesh for the US. Even at detailed sceneries such as UK2000 Heathrow or Gatwick I can still maintain at least 15fps. Away from the airports I get a constant 20fps (that's what I've got it locked at).If I add AI traffic that framerate drops to about 4fps at big airports. Once in the air I get the dreaded blurry terrain textures and horrible stuttering. I suppose I could cut back on the autogen, but if you've ever flown an approach into a city centre airport, looked out the side window and seen hundreds of 3D buildings going by below you'll understand why I want to keep my autogen at the maximum setting ;) I could get rid of the mesh addons, but again this isn't a price I'm willing to pay to get good framerates with AI. If you've ever seen the Alps with Lago's terramesh you'll understand...The details announced today about FS2004 look very promising, so hopefully the next version of FS will let us have plenty of AI without comprimising framerates (and of course *realistic* and *flexible* ATC too!).

Guest JonP01

I don't use the AI either. The main problem is that where I fly, I would see no traffic in any case. I really don't feel like burning up hundreds of hours configuring my setup so as to include the traffic either. From a system performance perspective, I would rather use my available CPU cycles for rendering high resolution mesh scenery rather than AI aircraft. With the high res mesh, I can navigate more easily with just a map and my eyeballs. That is what matters to me. All the AI traffic in the world isn't going to help in this respect. That said, if I felt my machine was so fast that it has CPU power to spare, I would find the time to add the neccessary traffic.I am toying with the idea of writing a utility one day that looks at a given GPS flight plan and compiles in real time some AI flight plans that would interesect with my planned route. Otherwise I'd need tens of thousands of AI flight plans all running at once if I were to ever guarantee I'd see another plane.