Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

Avsim vs Flightsim RTW Race - Pre-Race Thread #1

I was thinking of people being able to register the aircraft of their choice by type (say DC-3, Cheyenne 400, Avanti) rather than specific addon names.That would enable you to choose any implementation of that type (as long as it has reasonable flight dynamics, so not like the supersonic ATR someone discovered last year) while still preventing the thunderscreech (or something like it) from making an entry as it would be shot down before ever taking flight.I'm personally getting reacquainted with my Cheyenne 400 and may add the new FSD Avanti to my stable (which is supposed to be a bit faster still).

Guest dcc

>I'd advocate limiting the event to normally aspirated engines>only (so no turboprops or supersonic propellors on jet engines>at all).but wouldn't that also exclude anything with turbosuperchargers? I'd vote for keeping the same airplane rules as before, but saying the airplane must have been in production -- that keeps it limited to real-world craft that actually flew, and should exclude super mods like reno racer P-51s or experimental craft.I think the lessons learned from past races is that it's not necessarily flying with the fastest bird, but good teamwork, including route planning, baton hand-offs, etc.- dcc

There's a difference between turbocharged and turboprop ;)Yes, stating explicitly that only production aircraft that have not been modified for increased performance (thus excluding race modifications like you mention) should be sufficient.

Guest kickin_chicken

Dumb question? How does one "sign up" for this race? I'm an good PC pilot in the Piper Cheyenne LS400, I'd like to fly a leg. I'm from New England and I'm familiar with the area, maybe that would help? Thanks!

There's no "sign up", just be here some time during the race and grab the baton. There's no formal reservation of legs since that's against the rules, so we can't actually schedule you for a flight, but it's not unheard of to unofficially figure out who might be flying the next leg after the current pilot lands mainly in order to make sure *someone* is available to keep the baton moving...Based on last year's race, we tend to give priority to new pilots that haven't flown yet over pilots who have already flown 1 or more legs to be fair to everyone so I'm sure you'll have no problems flying a leg or two or three.... :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest TornadoWilkes

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Team AVSIM, it's nice to see that we've awoken the sleeping monster ;-)Good luck this year, I'm sure that you'll do well. However I must say that Team Flightsim seem to be gunning for it this year, so it may be a whole lot closer than ever before.I like the idea of only using production planes that haven't been modified, however we'd need a definition of "production" perhaps even a specific number. In fact the original rules were actually meant to encapsulate this, even thought it was me in the Thunderscreech when the word "production" was removed from the rules in 2003 :-lolTo see the original flights, please type RTW into the forum search engine, rememebering to scour the archives too.Good luck.... some may so you'll need it.

Happy New Year,Hey a little bird sent me a link where you folks have been ramping up for months on this. ;-)And yes, I feel this may be a close race this year as well. We may only win by 6-7 Hours this time. :-) :-)I also like the idea of Production planes only with a stern definition of such. That way, if Matt needs to he can intervene with a ruling more quickly without having to rule on the fly. Perhaps examples of planes that cannot be used would help, but it would be better, IMHO to simply define what CAN be used.I'm going to itemize all the suggestions and forward them to Matt. Perhaps you can do that for the loser...errr.... the other side as well. ;-)And good luck to you folks as well. And Don't forget, Fly West To East for fast times at flightsim high. :-)As for "Sleeping Monster...." Muhahahahahha..... You Have No Idea....!!!!! Best Regards,Joe****************Grab My FREEWARE Cessna 172 Voice recognition Profile here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Hi all,I am going to compile all of the suggestions here, and forward them to Matt as to proposed ideas on the race. And of course he is the final arbiter of all concerns.Once I compile them, I will list them here and give people a chance to comment before I forward them. That way we are all not blasting him with emails and such.Regards,Joe ****************Grab My FREEWARE Cessna 172 Voice recognition Profile here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

Ok folks, I started another topic where I have compiled your ideas from this thread.This mainly pertains to rule recommendations. if you have any more, add them to that thread, and in about a week or so, I will forward them to Matt.Thread is here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...esg_id=29&page=Regards,Joe

Production as in "available for purchase in numbers, not a prototype or experimental".That should make certain that everything that's available commercially (or with government permission in case of military aircraft) will qualify yet special modifications and experimentals (like race modifications and prototypes) do not.

>Thanks for giving the heads up to folks, Joe. As is the>tradition, the race will begin at 12:00 Noon Eastern Time on>the Sunday following Valentine's Day. I'm finalizing the>particulars for this year's race and I'll be making an>official announcement within the next few weeks about the>race.Hi Matt Can we PLEASE use ZULU time for this race. I am afraid that EASTERN time means nothing to me - unless you are referring to AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) . C'mon , this is an international forum - IMO , ZULU is the only way to go.RegardsBarry

Just wanted to let you know we are aware. ;-)And good luck to you and your merry band of war mongering men. ;-)dcc will be flying with Sim-Outhouse this year. Thanks for your help last year dcc.My advice for your team is this:Please fly East to West above the equator, and West To East below the equator. And fly as high as practicable in both cases, and I'm sure your team will do well. :-)I also heard there are some freeware sopwith camels for you folks to use, as I think they will go well with your military theme. ;-)Folks, we got ourselves a Race. :-) :-) :-)Best Regards,Joe****************Grab My FREEWARE Cessna 172 Voice recognition Profile here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

Guest sfoofficer

Good evening all.This sounds great. First time I've ever heard of such a thing. Just FYI, I would love to volunteer my flying services for the site.LOL - Quite a reversal. Years back, these flightsims helped me in getting my pilot's license. Hopefully, those R/L skills will pay back for this.Regards to all.AE

hey, I slept. Just don't tell my boss :-lol

Guest dcc

"And good luck to you and your merry band of war mongering men. ;-)"I prefer vintage-airplane mongering men :-)Thanks for the flying advice :-) I'm afraid I don't have any for you guys, since I know you already know the winning formula :-) Maybe the other, third team could use that technique?now, back to getting that Wright Flyer off the ground...- dcc