Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

Avsim vs Flightsim RTW Race - Pre-Race Thread #1

Hi Everyone,The time is drawing near where we the members of Avsim get to defend the Trophy as Champions of the (RTW) Round The World Race.From:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...misc&DLID=45449"The idea, inspired by Tornado Wilkes and refined and implemented by Matt Smith, is for each team to advance a baton around the world

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest OwenH FSD

Very cool! Joe, please check your PM ;)Regards,Owen

The Rules just above this post are actually form the 2003 Race, I posted the wrong ones.Here are the Rules form the 2004 race. Sorry about that.2004 Rules:OFFICIAL RULESObjective:To be the first forum to successfully complete (and authenticate) a series of flights around the world. It

Thanks for giving the heads up to folks, Joe. As is the tradition, the race will begin at 12:00 Noon Eastern Time on the Sunday following Valentine's Day. I'm finalizing the particulars for this year's race and I'll be making an official announcement within the next few weeks about the race.Kindest Regards-Matt SmithOrganizerMicrosoft Flight Simulator Round-the-World Race

Matthew Smith | Priority Left Consulting
www.priorityleft.com

Hi Matt, Good To see you Again. :-)I am also setting up some Multi-Player events over the next few weeks before the Race Starts for Avsim members.I started a Thread on that separately in the Avsim Multi-Player Forum here.Multi Player Event Thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=114&page=First One, This Sunday 1 pm Pacific. Location TBD.Regards,Joe

A few ideas for this year's race...I personally think Matt should have 10 specific cities each forum must stop in, actually doing a baton handoff there, not just a touch-and-go. One city on each of North America, South America, Central America, Africa, Asia, Europe and Australia, and clues for the other 3 where each team must solve the clues/riddles/whatever to determine those 3 specific airports. For the known cities, if there's more than 1 airport in the city, any of the airports will do; for the mystery cities, the clues would point to a specific airport at the specific city. Some of these cities might take the flight route well away from the "ideal straight" route, like forcing a stop at a city in South Africa, or an airstrip in northern Canada. The extra distance would make the race take longer, offer more legs to allow more pilots to participate, and make flight planning even more important. The required cities/airports can be done in any order, but all must be done.Invite other forums to participate, making it a race between 3 or more teams.Alternately, if the race is limited to just avsim and flightsim, allow each forum to form multiple teams. So, Avsim might form 2 teams, "Avsim A" and "Avsim B", which are completely seperate teams in direct competition with each other in addition to the team(s) from flightsim. Of course, this strays away from the "Avsim vs. Flightsim" concept, becoming "Avsim vs Avsim vs Flightsim", or "Avsim vs Avsim vs Avsim vs Flightsim vs Flightsim" or whatever, depending on how many teams are formed. Avsim A members are members of that team only, and cannot participate in Avsim B's race as well because they're unique teams. This would also allow more pilots to participate, but might complicate things further, and lead some to think it unfair that Avsim might have 2 teams vs 1 on flightsim. Thus, this may not be desirable, but I give the idea now anyway... :(Questionable aircraft such as the Thunderscreetch that caused controversy in last year's race need to be banned from the beginning.A minimum time between legs? For example, pilot A lands, hands off to pilot B over the course of a 5-minute waiting period. Or, at least the next pilot cannot takeoff (and post the "I have baton!") until the previous pilot has posted their "baton available!" AND their proof screenshot(s). Once the screenshot is posted, then the next pilot can post "I have the baton" and takeoff. (no more having your basic messages ready to just hit submit then post screenshot afterwards to save time..) Tip: just make sure your image editor works properly before you fly your leg, so you don't delay your team while you fix your image editor. :(I'm hoping above all hope to get cable internet before the race starts so I can devote more time to the race... :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Will we be setting up the sub-forum again this year? :)

Guest SoarPics

"Questionable aircraft such as the Thunderscreetch that caused controversy in last year's race need to be banned from the beginning."And a pre-race ruling about the LearFan 2100 would be good as well.Greg

I'd advocate limiting the event to normally aspirated engines only (so no turboprops or supersonic propellors on jet engines at all).And limit the use of known grossly incorrect FDEs.Last year I think it was someone also found an ATR 42 which had such grossly unrealistic flight dynamics that it almost went supersonic. He decided not to use it because it was clearly incorrect but according to the then-standing rules it would have been legal as it was openly available and not modified by him.Maybe even further restrict it to a fixed set of aircraft (participants could be asked to submit their chosen aircraft for approval before the race and get permission to use those, others coming in later can then use only one of the aircraft listed as permitted).

Guest deKoven

Hmmmm weeeellllllll, have to tell you guys; at least one of your competition has been practicing for more than a month. They (who shall remain nameless) started out with the expressed intention of shutting down the previous year's winners (that means "you", Avsim).Now I wouldn't want to throw any wrenches around but I'm really hoping that we repeat this year. I'm gonna be watchin' although I don't think I'm good enough to actually participate. I'm going to try to fly some of the legs along with the registered baton carrier. :DLet the games begin!

We won 2 years in a row without practicing ;)I wish the competition every luck but I do think we have the ability to make that 3 wins out of 3 with a bit of luck.

Depending on how you look at it, I've been practicing since last year's race... :( If you count regular flights as practice... :(Of course, race flights are completely different from regular flights, where speed is not an issue... I'm amazed my little P38 was still in one piece after my legs last year, flying virtually the entire flight at or near full throttle.....Will be digging it out of my hangar, dusting it off and tuning it up so its in optimum condition for this year's abuse... :(You're perfectly welcome to join in, all you need is a good, fast plane that you're comfortable with and can safely takeoff and land with... We could use as many good pilots as we can get... :(@Jeroen:"Maybe even further restrict it to a fixed set of aircraft (participants could be asked to submit their chosen aircraft for approval before the race and get permission to use those, others coming in later can then use only one of the aircraft listed as permitted)."Only if the majority of the permitted aircraft are freeware... :( (Maybe limit it to freeware aircraft so everyone can choose from the entire list....)Looking forward to this year's competition! :)

Yes. Now the question is, do we set it up in advance for all the "how to's" and "whatzit" questions, or do we wait until just before race day?