Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

Ideas on Rules For the Race Thread:

What does it matter? Last year it was (to use your words) a Cheyenne showcase (at least on our end).Main point is to have fun, and we did. If FSD got some sales out of it that's good for them, why should we deny them that if we like their products?IF you want to do what you suggest you have to take it a lot further and prescribe certain specific aircraft. Doing that however will turn most people away I think.

Well, anyway, in relation to all these ideas -- who is the boss-man who decides and when will he decide. It really doesn't matter as long as we all know what is required and have a bit of time to plan. Planning is a big part of the fun!! :)Barry

and planning under pressure is more fun :)Final rules last year were posted I think 24 hours before engine start. Plenty of time, especially as it's a weekend :)

Guest EasyEd

Hey All,After thinking about it and reading last year's race thread - keeping track of how often any particular aircraft has flown might be problematic. It could be done but there would likely have to be a "secretary" keeping track and could require some real finagling toward the end of the race to make the numbers balance. It could be done and might be fun but I don't know if its worth it. I'm just thinking it would be nice to see a wide variety of aircraft participate and the rules could be constructed in such a way as to do this. Another way might be to require teams to use at least say 8 types of aircraft.As for market exposure for FSD - I have no problem with that either. I have the Cheyenne and the Porter.One other "wrinkle" that might be interesting might be a required water landing at a seaplane base.Take Care! -Ed-

There's one tiny problem with that and that's that seaplane bases in FS are few and far between except in one area: Alaska.There's a few more on remote Pacific islands but that's it.

Well, if they want to force a seaplane base, there's always amphibian aircraft with retractable landing gear such as the Caravan Amphibian.... (Within the rules, that's the only way a pilot can transition to a seaplane for the seaplane base stop anyway... :( )All it would take is good flight planning to fit it in, but might force a flight route through Alaska when the optimal route might be elsewhere..

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest Willy McCoy

Plenty of Amphibs out there. Mike Stone has done a PBY Catalina & Grumman Goose, Bill Lyons has three (Sikorsky S-43, Goose and a now freeware Globe Swift), and Jerry Beckwith over at mudpond has done a Grumman Widgeon that I heartily recommend. I've given serious consideration to flying a Goose for a leg myself since I couldn't find a Wright Flyer with floats ;).WillyCo-ConspiratorTeam Outhouse

I think there was a Farman with floats, or maybe a Jenny. No need to use something inferior like a Goose or a PBY.

You folks may want to keep an eye on this thread as well over at Sim-Outhouse.http://www.cfcforums.com/showthread.php?t=11469It appears some members flying and organzing for fs.com have some input on possible rule changes.I left a note for the person who disclosed the potential changes and asked for a clarification.Matt Smith, if you see this, maybe you can post a quick comment on it.Thanks,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest JohnMueller

Hi Joeyou mean me? :) Nah, all we have as input is - more or less: "the rules might be different, stay tuned". I'm hoping for different, it makes the race all the more interesting! I just hope it isn't too open for discussion, meaning you loose time debating things that should be fix (hard to do at any rate).How about the following idea: * 3+ airports need to be visited, each team starts at a different one. That way there's no follow-the-leader and some variance in the path due to different weather conditions (hopefully)By the way: is there any ruling on floatplanes? i.e. can you pass a baton somewhere at sea? Aircraft-carriers? That would make for some interesting flights crossing the oceans, if the wildcard was left out!Also just for my information: does the rule: "1)The only allowed aircraft are: A) Piston-powered fixed wing aircraft :( Turboprop-powered fixed wing aircraft (two engines maximum)"mean that you can use a 3+ engined piston-powered aircraft? or is there a limit on 2 engines as well? And one more for the road: how about a group start with all teams? Interested? Where should we do it (who's server has is robust enough and has the bandwidth needed? -not mine-)?Good luck Team Avsim! Hope to see you in my rear-view mirror :DRegardsJohn Mueller, Team FlightSim!!!

Guest dcc

any word on when the rules will be posted? I seem to recall in the past two races it was before race day, but I can't recall for sure ...I too would welcome some changes -- it would make it challenging and fun to have to adapt to some new things.- dcc

>By the way: is there any ruling on floatplanes? i.e. can you>pass a baton somewhere at sea? Aircraft-carriers? That would>make for some interesting flights crossing the oceans, if the>wildcard was left out!>says "airfield". I'd guess as long as there's a land runway as well you can use a floatplane... Aircraft carriers won't help, all the ones in FS are set close to shore near continental boundaries.>Also just for my information: does the rule:> "1)The only allowed aircraft are:> A) Piston-powered fixed wing aircraft> :( Turboprop-powered fixed wing aircraft (two engines>maximum)">mean that you can use a 3+ engined piston-powered aircraft? or>is there a limit on 2 engines as well? >yes you can. I think the limit was 4 engines on props and 2 engines on turboprops, not 100% certain on that though.Jets fitted with supersonic propellors aren't allowed as those derive the majority of thrust from their jet directly rather than from the prop.>>And one more for the road: how about a group start with all>teams? Interested? Where should we do it (who's server has is>robust enough and has the bandwidth needed? -not mine-)?>There are no fixed teams. While each team has a more or less fixed group coordinating and planning anyone is free to hop in as they like.>Good luck Team Avsim! Hope to see you in my rear-view mirror>:D>Turn it around and mount a camera on your nose pointed backwards and you may for a few minutes :-lol

Last year it was I think 24 hours before race start, maybe 48.

>>By the way: is there any ruling on floatplanes? i.e. can>you>>pass a baton somewhere at sea? Aircraft-carriers? That would>>make for some interesting flights crossing the oceans, if>the>>wildcard was left out!>>>says "airfield". I'd guess as long as there's a land runway as>well you can use a floatplane... >Aircraft carriers won't help, all the ones in FS are set close>to shore near continental boundaries.>I don't see a problem if a team really wants to handoff their baton at a seaplane base (with no land runway)... As long as the seaplanes used also has landing gear (like the Caravan Amphibian) where they can takeoff from a land runway, and land at the seaplane base, handoff the baton, takeoff from the seaplane base and land on a land runway for the next handoff...Just as long as it's at an official seaplane base that shows up as an airport in the sim... If pilots just handed off in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the ocean, it would be too easy for them to cheat... ie. Team flying west-to-east, pilot lands in one spot, next pilot takes off a few hundred miles further east. Do this not in multiplayer so they can use that as an excuse for not seeing both planes in a screenshot. And the only way thay can be caught is if a referee looks closely enough to see the latitude/longtitude differences between the landing and takeoff in the flight analysis screenies, which would probably be zoomed out far enough to make it hard to see...If floatplanes are allowed, it needs to be at official seaplane bases only (and show up as such on the flight analysis screenies..)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

there's also need to be a ruling whether a seaplane base on the coast qualifies as landing on the continent ;)