Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bill Kunert

What is your method for backing up/restoring FS2K2 ?

Is there a program that you use to back up your windows registry once youhave tweaked fs2k2 to where you want it to be, so that if (when) it all crashes, you can restore it all before the crash...WITHOUT having to reinstall everything ...AGAIN?Sheez!! :-(This is about the 3rd time this has happened to me. I spend about two weeks tweaking and adding on to FS, getting it just right, everything beautiful, planes, scenery, ...then ...something catastrophic happens either to my computer, or my FS settings get so messed up that I have to start all over again, reinstalling everything. You know the drill.Sound familiar? :-DAny good backup method or program you could suggest. Freeware, Payware, doesnt really matter. I just want the dang thing to work without having to worry all the time.Much Appreciation,mouse

I'm not a computer techie by any stretch. But, I don't think the tweaks applied to fs2k2 actually make it into the windows register, except for those done directly by way of your video card driver. Otherwise, you should back up some specific files...including:fs2002.cfgscenery.cfgany other of the *.cfg files (I'm at work and do not have access to the list.Also, if you have add on scenery, back up the files. btw, I think it makes better sense to create additional scenery folders outside of the fs2k2 directory, so that if you have to start over, at least your scenery folders will be in tact. Back up your aircraft folder if you have additional planes. I know there are some other backups, but cannot recall them at the moment. I am sure others will be able to help...One other, more drastic solution. do a backup of everything you have in fs2k2 to as many cds as it takes...Sherm

Hi Mouse,the program I use is the registry editor that comes with Windows. Go to 'run' from the start menu, type 'regedit' and find the entry for FS here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator8.0 , choose 'file/export', and save the entry to a location of your choice. Then zip up the FS folder in its entirety, save it to a spare drive, then reformat and do what you have to do.Finally, just unzip your FS folder back to your new, clean HD, double-click on the saved registry file (this will add the contents to the registry), and off you go...If you have add-ons that add their own registry entries, you'll have to save those as well, using the same procedure (having said that, I found that all my add-ons, like PIC, PSS etc. ran fine without their registry entries).Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Tweaking the windows registry is not going to give you a jump in performance in FS. FS is very dependent on all of your computer.Thus tweaking the registry for FS would be pointless. You will see a gain in general O/S performance and maybe alittle in some other games but not enought to justify having to reinstall everything. Only mess with the registry if you really know what you are doing . Half the time you back up your registry, if it gets currputed chances are you will not be able to restore everything back to it's orginal stable state. The choice of course is up to you. If you have windows xp there is program called tweak-xp . Iam not sure of anything else out there. The windows registry is not very forgiving :) . Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpghttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Gosta,That is **EXACTLY** what I was hoping to read!!Thank you Thank you....and Thank you everyone else for your comments!Cheers,mouse

Hi Mouse,no problem, I hope it works out. On the last occasion I did this (a few months ago), I got an error message during startup, stating a scenery file had become corrupted and to reinstall FS. I tried copying over the file from the CD, but it didn't like that, so I just deleted it and replaced it with a dummy (open notepad, and save it as whatever the original's name is). Everything runs fine now, and to this day I haven't noticed anything missing...Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Captain, Thank you for your reply. I am not looking to tweak my registry to gain some kind of increased performance in FS. Nothing to do with that whatsoever.Im looking to save the hair on my head that I keep pulling out everytime FS gets so miserably corrupted that a reinstall is necessary.Currently, I have so many third party utilities, enhancements, addon A/C, sceneries, panels...etc, etc, all running piggy back on FS, that it takes me about 2 weeks of evenings to get everything where I want it to be. You know what Im talking about, Capt.! :-)So if I could somehow take a "snap shot" of my computer the way it is when it is all working great, that is all I would need, because I could just drop in the whole FS enchilada along with its respective registry file the "next" time my computer barfs.Cheers,Mouse

Wouldn't a better place to start be with the answer to the question "Why does my FS installation barf out on me?"If you got to the heart of that problem, you might find many of the headaches go away. I've never, ever reinstalled FS2002 since I first installed it over two years ago. In that time I have upgraded system drivers, graphic card, card drivers, sound card, sound card drivers, hard drive, mobo, CPU and RAM, run beta packages and installed and removed a dozen games - and added and/or removed around 2000 add-ons for FS itself. The only thing I haven't changed is the OS (W98SE), but even that has been heavily modified. In all that time I have never seen the need for a re-installation or a `corruption` of the FS installation. So is your need just a panic reaction like replacing the car because the aircon packed up, and do you think you might do better trying to understand why you are mucking up your installation and learning how NOT to do it? It would save you hours, days of aggravation. If you have a WinXP system then System Restore before you install anything to FS means never having to say `pass me CD #1` ever again.ChasW

ChasW,>>>>I have never seen the need for a re-installation or a `corruption` of the FS installation... So YOU'RE the one! ;-)Seriously, thank you for your comments. I read them. Twice.I think my biggest problem is that I tend to "throw" too many FS addons at it all at once and expect it to work properly. When it doesnt, I make it most difficult on myself, and can only guess what went wrong.But I hear and understand your point, most importantly. The problem is more likely "me" than FS.Im workin on it. ;-)Thank you for your advice, sir.Mouse

Guest Bill Kunert

You don't say what operationg system you are using. If it is not XP you might want to consider upgrading. XP as compared with 95, 98, or ME is much more robust. The older Windows systems had a tendency to load up with trash and slow down and, for best performance, should be reformatted and reloaded about every 6 months. I've had the same load of XP since it first came out and it runs as good as it did when I loaded it a year and a half ago. XP also save its configuration every time you load new software and if something screws up you can go back to before the problem. This function is a real advantage and I've used it several times with complete success.RegardsBill