Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

Team AVSIM Practice thread #3

Ok folks, two choices here:Someone can do a 3387 nm Flight fromFalklands to Cape TownEGYP to FACTOr just pick it up in Cape Town (FACT) and start heading North East to Europe.Regards,JoeJOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Cessna 172 Voice recognition Profile here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Next leg could go to SCRM.From there a long flight to McMurdo and then up to New Zealand.Let's try the polar route to cross the Pacific.

SCRM would be 623.4 from EGYP, maybe I should have gone there .I like the Pole Idea, could gain some ground there.And then from SCRM to McMurdo (NZWD) I show 2243.2, a Little CloserNZWD to NZNV Would be another 1893.8. Fun Huh? Could be soem good long flight practice.

Guest sfoofficer

The pole sounds interesting. That would be a new take.If no takers in the next 10 mins, I'll fwd to SCRM.Alex

Here is mine:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/104975.jpgJOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Cessna 172 Voice recognition Profile here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

OK, will take it on to McMurdo...Good chance to test the longrange capabilities of the aircraft :)

The long stretch over the Antarctic.Wish me luck :)For this longest of all flights I've taken to the Cheyenne for it's superior range.

Guest KChapman

Reminiscent of Mr. Marc Sykes in the Cheyenne (it just sipping gas) as he stretched out an eight hour wild card leg in last year's race over the tundra of Canada. Yours is just a tad south of that, though.Tail winds and blue skies, sir.:-)Kevin

And a tad shorter at between 4 and 5 hours...Of course he could have diverted, I've no such luxury. Once I pass about 800nm out the closest airport (in time) is McMurdo...

Guest KChapman

Mixture, props, manifold pressure...You know the numbers. :-)Just don't forget to set the ECS comfortably. That's a long flight to endure with ice crystals in your nose...

Jeroen, have fun with the fuel management....BTW I think I hear rumors that last year's "loophole" (about unlimited flights over water) has been closed this year. If that turns out to be the case, then some of these imaginative routes will not work out. That would be a shame.Hmmm. What do people think about this?M.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

The loophole allowed a flight to bypass airports that were within a 2 hour range if they were well off the great circle route.That's what allowed our worthy opponents to plan a route that bypassed a lot of airports in Alaska and some in northern Russia in order to prevent time consuming landings and takeoffs.It also allowed us to fly that very long route up the Aleuthans towards Vancouver I believe it was.This route enters an area without any diversion options at all, different scenario.Closing that would open up a team to deliberate sabotage by people flying it into a position where the only option is to backtrack for hours and hours.

Guest KChapman

Perhaps it will create less competition or perhaps foster more. On the same note, it could mean less fun for some and more for others.With the overwater rule still intact, let's say Avsim navigates the Bering Strait while SimOuthouse takes wing on the South Pacific route and Flightsim is headed for Africa from South America. That leaves everyone wondering just where the teams will meet having accomplished which tasks with what left to do (like the last two years). While one is racing against the other teams, many (most?) may find as much joy and motivation in racing for their respective team as competing against the others, direct comparison being all but impossible in the above situation.On the other hand (overwater rule wiped out), if two or all three teams roughly start the same direction, we could find ourselves racing for the same landlocked checkpoints over strategically necessary routes and playing tag for fear of making a tactical mistake that could cost the race. Perhaps more would be motivated to fly a leg when they see a game of "beat you in a direct line to VHHH" while many others may shy away from flying for the first time under such pressure to perform flawlessly for the team in a neck and neck battle.Aww, who knows... Did that make sense?Kevin