Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

Flight Analysis Screen Burp PROOF Please.

Guest EasyEd

Hey All,Joe your right there are other options. I think the GPS zooms to 1000 miles. (I'm working now so I can't check - well not right now :) .) It has occurred to me that maybe people should be required to post the GPS screen (I don't recall which one it is) that shows elapsed time. If we do have a 2 hour limit there ought to be some way of verifying it - although there may be a few people using planes without GPS, I doubt it. I see people freely showing over 2 hours flying and some of that is due to weather diversion or fuel or some such. I'm not convinced people take takeoff and landing time into account timewise in their planning. I think that most people say how far can I get in 2 hours and then addon the time to takeoff and land. Precise timing would make flightplanning much more interesting.Take Care! -Ed-

Guest TornadoWilkes

Opinions duly noted.

Hi all,I have just tested the following and it DID NOT cause any FA disrupt Icons.1) Pausing for at least ten minutes. went and retrieved the mail, went to the bathroom, sorted the mail.2) Switching from windowed mode back to full screen and back again numerous times with the GPS in floating window. When the GPS is Undocked in Windowed mode and a user switches to full screen, the GPS is again docked, and the undock function is disabled in full screen mode. When switching multiple times in every scenario I could think of, th ered line was consistently constant. ***My pause on task switch is also not enabled in my settings, so my sim keeps flying if I switch tasks, like browsing, etc...3) Going into flight planner mid-flight, I created a flight plan and clicked load. I did not save the flight plan, (which is what load causes you to do), because if I did so, that would move the aircraft to that location. I cannot speak of a 3rd party flight planner, as the one I use functions off-line, (super flight planner) and only saves the plan as if it were a MS created plan. (In other words I use it prior to my flight.)4) Just did all the Direct to in the GPS, and no disrupt icons from doing that either. These were all done on the same flight over the last 30 minutes or so. I di dnot attempt any other changes. I also have very little add-on scenery.I still believe it is add-ons or a user changing something or doing something during a flight.Also, forget about the GPS, it doesn't show the red line of lfight, only the route.So map View or FA Screen. Very similar and grab the same data, I believe.Do you have the Time Zone fix installed?I do not. Also, are the scenery change disrupts going near an area where mesh, landclass, or other add-on scenery is installed infringing on an area where it is not installed? I also just opened my FSScreen and took a quick photo, opened photoshop cropped and resized, saved it, and posted it all the while no disrupt icon.I still have the same flight and am flying on BushNet MP Server, while running teamspeak as well at this very moment.Regards,JoeAlso posted at Sim-Outhousehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106108.jpgJOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

GPS is not an option, as it does not show flight line path, only route that I can see.Mine also only zooms out 500 miles.So FA Screen or map View are I think the only ones in FS9 that can be used.

Guest EasyEd

Hi Joe,I use FS2k2 it will zoom out to 1000 miles and does show both flight line and flight path in different colors - flight path planned in green and flight path flown in yellow. I can post some screenies if you like. Must be different in FS9. As to providing a means to verify 2 hours or less flying. The GPS would do reasonably well. The first (map) page shows ground speed the second page shows nm, ETE and ETA. If you use direct to for a planned alternate those nm show as well. Could be an interesting wrinkle.Take Care! -Ed-

Hi ed,Good Info, I'll check those out as well.Maybe the GPS does do it in FS9, I'll dig around and see if there is a setting or something.Can anyone else get the actual flight flown to show up in the GPS in FS9?

Well,It seems some don't even want to admit it could be their system or their own faults for the disrupt Icon. So be it.All I tried to do with this whole process was try to help others out that allegedly experienced these things.If people can't seem to run their own sim without changing settings, etc.. during flights, or trying to figure out if they adjusted time zones or had a time zone program installed, or add-on scenery to diagnose this, I guess we'll just have to see what happens.All I tried to do was to ascertain why this was occurring to help others prevent it from happening to them, and some that had this don't want to be bothered with finding out why, or don't seem interested, they only want to say it happens, and move on. Well I am not satisfied with non-responses as to cause only acceptance of a problem, I would rather find the fault.So why not try to find the fault?Some users obviously did things that would cause an Icon that MS thought should cause a disrupt Icon.I never experienced that. Nor did quite a few others, unless to their own admission, they changed something. (see above)I will still advise our members here what will cause these that are KNOWN FACTS to cause them so that they can prevent them from occurring on our team. You as a race pilot for Avsim can still do what you like, as from the time you post "I have the baton" the members are counting on you.These KNOWN instances will appear in the thread I started previously.Thread is here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=161&page=I will only be posting findings at this site however, as with 13 days to go, my focus will only be on our members here.Let's Go Race. :-)Regards,Joe JOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

Guest kickin_chicken

"Clicking OK from Map view cancels your IFR (in other words, it resets ATC, IFR, and the current Flight Analysis data) if you have made changes in Map view. If no changes are made in the Map view, there is no problem. However, if you do make a change in Map view, the program will cancel IFR when you click OK."This is from the Readme.doc file that is installed with Flight Sim 2004. I think if you enter the Flight Analysis screen, and click on anything (zoom, time compression, etc.), it borks the analysis and resets the aircraft position indicator after you click "OK". So, even if you didn't 'change' anything in Flight Sim, if you enter Flight Analysis and hit "zoom" or something, then hit "OK", you inadvertantly bork the flight analysis! You need to either hit NOTHING or use "CANCEL" instead of "OK".I hope this sheds some light on the problem.BTW I use the new Duenna program, it works very nicely.

Guest moparmike90

Here is my pst from over there answering your questions since you left the conversation before I got off of work this morning. Had to reregister since I haven't come over here in search of Arne B's advice on gauge projects in quite a while.I do have to mention again that I am not opposed to running the race without the Duenna program, but I do certainly like the features that JM is including in the program. It is applicable to many more uses than the RTW race. Time-Speed-Distance rallies and Reno-style air racing are two events in which I can really see the benefit of using the program to better "level the playing field".Coming from a long career as a CFS1/2/3 pilot and being an avid 1/4-mile bracket racer in past years I am very much in favor of someone developing a utility that allows for a more evenly matched competition. I've also been involved with civvy FS since FS4 and remember the old dogfight part of the game (the CFS beta? :)) well. Competition has always been a sub-niche of FS...I'm glad to see it maturing into some very fun scenario games that span different sites across the net and around the globe. Some method of uniformity is welcome in my eyes.-----------------------------------------------------------------Sonar5(Joe), (I see that you have left the conversation...me? I had to go to work last night, but I'm back now for a while before bedtime).I must apologize for a bit wording in my previous post. Was in a bit of a hurry before leaving for work...didn't notice I was speaking in the it-is-and-it-does sense until I reread my post this morning. Anyhoo...where I said "will" you can substitute "can" instead.This is due to the fact that there are many different systems out there. Just because it doesn't happen on one machine doesn't mean it can't happen on another machine...even with a fresh, bone-stock install with no add-ons. there are entirely too many variables to iron out.The only add-ons I run are the RealityXP GNS530 avionics pack...which requires FSUIPC...which I wish I could fly without as it has always introduced some quirks into the turbulence effects in my CFS and FS installs (FS2000, CFS2, FS2002, and FS2004 all have a few little turbulence quirks on my rig when FSUIPC is present). No addon mesh, but I do have a half dozen NorthCentral US airport sceneries in my flying install...the occasional scenery reload problem on my machine is present with these disabled though too. I have had scenery reloads before I installed the RealityXP GPS as well.I have a clean, stock, "development" install of FS that I use for testing my projects. In using it during our practice sessions here at S-O, it also suffers the occasional scenery reload.When I alt-tab between applications or alt-enter between fullscreen & windowed mode I sometimes encounter scenery reloads. My race setup will include two other machines in my computer room that will be used for communications and surfing while simming. I have eliminated that as a potential problem for me. Not everyone has the luxury of more'n one computer at their disposal though. Time zone utility? Don't have one.Pause on task switch? Disabled.You can go into the FS flight planner utility, create and load a new flightplan without moving your aircraft to the departure point. FS2004 asks if you would like to move your plane to the departure point, but you can click no.The thing with the scenery reload...it seems to be more of a feature of older or less powerful systems. Anything that causes a lot of swapfiling can bring on the scenery reset. Not everyone has a super gaming rig...I consider my XP1700+OCed-2.1GHz, Athlon XP, Ti4200p, 1024MegRAM, Mandrake/Win2000/WinXP multi-boot gaming rig adequate for FS use but it does have it's shortcomings...which I live with because it's paid for.

Hi Mike,I left because I was asked to not discuss it there, so I just abided by what they asked of me.Thanks for replying.I also have a low-end machine with the following:1.2ghz Athlon (no OC)512mb ramGeForce FX 5600Win XP Pro (sp2)FS9 (with 9.1 Patch)Res 1280 x 1024 or 1600 x 1200 depending on profile used.I run all my simming in a Limited User xp profile. Within that profile, I use multiplayer, teamspeak, & voice recognition all the while maintaining about 20fps, which is where I set it for Multi Player.I also run 5 different Hardware Profiles under xp according to advice from black viper.I've gone through scenery reloads, since prep for the race, have always had 15 minute weather updates enabled, switch from full screen back to windowed mode all the while still surfing on the web on a wireless home network.For Race day, I will have my laptop for web, and only use the desktop for racing.There are quite a few problems with duenna which I will outline in the other thread. I still cannot get it to run without realism or weather errors depending on which profile I am in.I'll have more on this tomorrow or so, right now, I am trying to get duenna to even work on my system. (going on about 4 hours now) :-)Thanks again for replying here, :-)JoeJOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

Guest moparmike90

Yes, I see that you were asked to leave. I must apologize if I made it sound that you turned your back.I had a slow night at work and had time to digest points from all sides...kinda sucks that I can't browse at work, but then I'd never get anything done some nights! LOLThe requiring a certain realism setting and certain weather settings are two of the features that I am in favor of...from the aspect of creating a more even playing field. I realize this may "lock out" some of the rookie simmers that fly at less than 100% flight settings. Maybe an option to choose several realism settings and a display of the chosen settings would be a good addition to the program...I'll put that down on my suggestion list that I send to John.I see in another thread that the official ruling is that it is not a requirment. This is fine by me...and I suspect the rest of Team S-O as well (even the ones that sound grumpy...heck sometimes I'm the head grump-meister :))...but I definitely want to see John continue developing a good utility.Definitely looking forward to what you find.Mike (defector from RTWRace#1's Team FS.com...nah, not a defector, just sticking closer to my home field. :))

Hi Mike,No need to apologize, and don't worry about it. I'm not. :-)I agree realism settings are a good idea, and if this program can be slimmed down I support it 100%. I think some changes need to made in that regard.As to rookie players. Requiring them max settings may pretty much keep them out of the race, IMHO, think of the folks on dial-up or no yoke and pedals or no joystick, even.Those that fly with a keyboard will be pretty much afraid to join up, if it is made too difficult. I keep my scenery settings somewhat low anyway in favor of frame rates. As a Pilot, I am more concerned with procedures and inside the cockpit rather than eye candy. I do some Bush stuff which is a blast, and lately have been flying mostly on Multiplayer on Bushnet here at Avsim.My fear is that folks will use this, somehow it will burp for some new user and the baton either sits for quite a while or some team has to refly a leg.It being an option is fine by me, it will be interesting to see how it all works out.I put it this way.IMHO, most of us probably fall in the advanced category with regards to computers and the sim that are commenting on this. Some of us are also Pilots as well.I am considering the average user that will start showing up a day or so before race day, or during the race and wants to fly. When someone says you have need to install duenna, update FSUIPC, don't run it in a limited access profile, check your realism settings and weather settings to exactly match what the program wants, I think we will lose potential race members.I would love for each pilot to only fly one leg in the entire race.We won't have a reservation list, but we will have other plans just in case Fubar appears.Over here, we would like any member to be able to just show up, say "I have The Baton" and start flying right then.That is the spirit of the race, and that is what I am striving for our team here at Avsim.What I did was try to respond to you folks over at Sim-Outhouse when they started having problems with their FA Screens. I now regret having tried to assist them in that endeavor.With 12 days to go, my focus will be on our team here at Avsim, and I wish you folks Good luck in the Race. Regards,Joe

Joe-I agree with you absolutely - we want this race to be open to everyone, from the newbie to the advanced flightsimmer. That said, we also want a realistically challenging experience for everyone - we want to make this as much like a real world race around the world as possible. This is why we're requiring the advanced settings. There's no risk if you turn off crash detection. The goal of each pilot is to successfully and safely complete the flight. If we allow them to turn off crash detection, the only risk they have is a computer crash - where's the flying challenge in that?For this year's race, we're trusting people to have things set the most realistic way, as prescribed in the rules. I hear and understand your concerns about the possible complications that the Duenna brings, and that's why we're making it optional this year. For those newbie users that just want to get in the race, things are exactly the ideal as you described it - they show up on race day, post that they have the baton, make sure FS is set right (takes about 30 seconds to move that slider to the right, if that), grab the weather, and go. Exactly the same as last year.Things this year are essentially the same as they were last year. We've worked them to close a few loopholes and changed some things that didn't make sense, but the heart of the race -and the spirit of fun competition- remains unchanged.And for the record - the little arrow in the Flight Analysis window isn't anything to get worked up over. As long as there's a credible track there and nothing else is suspicious we'll give pilots the benefit of the doubt.Kindest Regards-Matt SmithOrganizer/Rules Committee ChairmanMSFS RTW Race

Matthew Smith | Priority Left Consulting
www.priorityleft.com