Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

Has anybody actually MASTERED...a ROTOR in any FS's?

Yeah...but you Fancy Pants..you have the PEDALS!!!LOLOL....Hi Lindy!I'm a'tryin.....just don't be below me...unless you have a death wish..."He's coming...in.....ah..folks....you might wish to move...for he doesn't seem to be in control.....ah yes...rookies.....they're a blight......";)Mitch R.

Since I downloaded and installed the HUD panel here at AVSIM (helhudnew.zip), I can now fly all of my helicopters. Took about 15 minutes of practice. Try it and see.

I can now fly all of my rotors since I downloaded the HUD panel (helhudnew.zip) here at the AVSIM library. It also helps if you have rudder pedals or a twist joystick. It only took me about 15 minutes of practice using the HUD panel. Try it and see for yourself.

The only reason I can fly the rotors in FS2002 is because I held a multi-engine instrument helo rating courtesy of the U.S. Navy. I fly them as I was trained. Even after carrier quals and formation in fixed wing, the first hour in the chopper was like starting over. One thing you might want to try for Max Grins is a 4 chopper square dance. The alamens are ok but watch out for the Doetsy-doe. Don't tangle rear rotors with your partner.The full autos in the real aircraft are easier to execute but a lot more hairy.

Hey Mitch, practice and check out the sites Cyborg listed, they will help. I fly helos 90% of the time and can land on a dime most of the time. I have only the FF sidwinder II joystick, no pedals and it works fine. I guess I am lucky in that I have never had a problem , I just jumped in and picked it up, but there is still allot of room for improvement for me, which is something I look forward to. I am excited to see what advancements, if any, MS incorporate into FS9 for helos since they are including 2 with it, we can only hope!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

I will!Once I have the rotors locked down, I want for fun, to run a virtual jetport-to-downtown core scenario.You know...for something different....lol.Cheers!Mitch R.

Hmm...landing a rotor onto a pitching and MOVING deck......now, that's got to be the ticket....The approach to the deck over the sea..must give one to think about an updated Will.....whoa!Cheers!Mitch R.

Hey Mitch, landing on a moving ship IS the best! I have several missions in CFS2 where I imported Jordans Huey 205 and at least 5 modern ships and they are all moving and landing there is great fun!! Wish I could get that in FS2002, that would be awesome!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi MitchRudder control... You need it, a twisting handle is fine, I use Gravis Eliminator.Also, it's important to look at stick-input as pitch and coordination only (generally speaking). If you're a bit high for example (altitude, not Mary J.) pushing the nose down for just a sec. will only give you more problems (airspeed). Keep your hands on the throttle continously when approaching. Lotsa continous small inputs, getting established on an ILS is a fine practice.Speedtip: Go vertical for a few seconds, cut throttle, just before you hit ground max the throttle and push the nose hard down. Now feel airspeed G!BTW: I'm currently wrapping up rather large Greenlandic scenery featuring real heli-routes, towns/settlements and floatplane features with detailed route info and Mercy and SAR missions, and new panel for the authent. chopper, Sikorsky S-61. Hope you'll practice your chops in Greenland, by 1st of March it should be up.halabraham

Guest EdrickV

I landed a chopper (think it was the BFU Huey) on a building earlier today, just for the heck of it. Can't say how good a landing it was compared to reality, but I didn't crash. I haven't tried them with high realism settings yet though. (Only got FS2k2 a few days ago, I'd previously used FU2 since FS98/2k just didn't seem right without an ATC to annoy. At that, I've managed to cause at least 4 different program crashes, discover aircraft with one or more textures that don't show up for some weird reason, and increase my aircraft folder to about a gig in size.)I don't have rudder petals or a twist joystick, I have a Saitek X45 HOTAS with an analog rocker switch for the rudder. It helps that it also has two rotary dials useful for prop/mixture.Last time I tried landing on a carrier (a bad looking one off shore by KSFO/KHAF) it actually went through the top deck of the carrier to land on something under it. After swapping aircraft to a plane, I found my self on the water underneath the carrier. (So I was inside the model.) Will have to try landing on those destroyer helipads near San Diego with high realism settings that I've heard of.BTW, there's at least one chopper that flies like a plane and can even be looped easily. Though that kinda takes the fun out of flying it. ;) Best advice I can give: Don't rush. If you rush you can screw up. Worry about improving your time later."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

Hi EdrickCreating landing bases on eg. ship macros can be quite a hassle. When creating the macros the landing base often seems impossible to get right. Also crash detection can be cumbersome, this is why sometimes you'll simply fly through the models. This is based on my experience with EOD anyway, I don't know if its equally difficult with GMAX.halabraham

Guest Captain Barfbag

Over the last week or so, some drilling rigs in the North Sea have been uploaded. They are designed as helo landing pads, and they're close enough that you can hop from one to another visually - nice at night too.

Guest hefy_jefy

Its all in the mind you know,I read this post with a great deal of interest, I too had failed miserably at flying helicopters in FS2002, to the extent that I had given up. But reading this post made me give it another shot and I Luv the Huey thing (hey you! stand still laddiee!! - I love the smell of napalm in the morning) I digress...So I went away and got hold of the BFU Huey to give it a try.After the usual total lack of understanding as to why I was suddenly moving backwards , upside down etc etc I had a brilliant idea.Some years ago (many) I became reasonably good at flying model helicopters (the learning curve is about the same, it takes about a year before it stops costing you money). With the aid of FS navigator I positioned myself on the ground (tower view) behind the aircraft and gave it another try. Much better! you can see what's going on and have great visual references - smooth flypasts and the landings are not too bad either.In flying model helicopters the most difficult thing is the "nose in hover" so now I can practise this without it costing me any money at all!! :-)The tricky bit is positioning the tower view in just the right place on the helideck so you see yourself arrive...Geoff

Guest SlimDady

I try on hard.. its way to hard... its nothing like the real thing(i dont have much exp.. but i did a little 20min flight to see if i liked it).. I always put it on easy when i fly the chopperz.. Way more easy to control.. on easy i have no problems, i can land pretty much on a dime