Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

Has anybody actually MASTERED...a ROTOR in any FS's?

The ONE thing that has me TOTALLY at wits end...are ROTORS!I don't have fancy control gear for 'em...and try to fly them with my MS Pro stick...but I gotta tell ya.......I SUCK!Can anybody place them within a 30 foot radius of their INTENDED touch-down point..and.....AND....ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD...in ONE PIECE without bending the gear?If so...KUDDOS to ya...for like I said........I totally suck to date.....but...I'm workin' on it....LOLCheers!Mitch R.

Hi Mitch,Basically,I had the same feeling about the new FS version announcement. Lots of new aircraft, but will they be as good (or better) than some of the excellant freeware planes we now have available (too many to name them here). One good point is that they'll have (hopefully) good virtual cockpits.By the way, much thanks goes to all the freeware developers who have shared their creations with our community. We thank you!I do like the idea that FS2000 and later planes and scenery should be (for the most part) compatible with the new version. Also, GMAX planes and scenery should be a big improvement.It will be interesting to see if the blurry problem has been positively addressed. Time will tell.While at first look the new FS version may not seem too revolutionay, we may be happily surprised by MS. Just my own opinion, but I'm pretty happy with FS2002. I look positively at GMAX planes and scenery and enhanced virtual cockpits and hope the blurries are a thing of the past.I'm looking foreward to more announcements from MS.Howard

Hi Mitch,Yeah, I share your opinion, somewhat. Ive been wanting volumetric cloud and dynamic wx since they released FS 3.0 :-)You made a very good point in your post that rings true... ...the FS community is enjoying a massively creative explosion right now with addon gmax A/C's, scenery and fx,etc, that are simply amazing and beautiful. I cant keep up with em...let alone MS dropping by every now and then.We're getting spoiled. At least I am, anyway. You know what I think is really glaringly missing from FS? Simulated People. How cool would it be to have the guy there with the orange flashlights waving you in to the jetway, or watching people come on to or leave your a/c?Cant someone just merge the Morrowind engine with FS and change their clothes?!! :-D Its gonna happen some day. Certainly, the technology is here for both, why not combine em somehow?Cheers,mouse

Sorry about editing the post...to another personal failure of mine...LOL...but I saw other's addressing the FS9.0 issue...and wanted to ask if anybody could place a rotor where THEY WANTED THE DARN THING>......LOLOLOLThanks for the reply to my original, Howard!BTW...how ARE YOU...with non-fixed wing's....huh?Cheers!Mitch R.

Guest Paul_W

Some of the plane exteriors look outstanding, and some of the cloudscapes from a distance are striking. And it's just great that MS is going with a summer release, because all the waiting for what's the latest and the greatest can get to be quite boring when it drags on well into the fall.As expected, the clouds look like the new ones introduced in CFS3, and I'm probably one of the few who was not impressed with those; the edges frequently appeared like something from a double-exposed photograph, and when you flew directly towards a cloud it would either pop in or out (I forget which) at the last second--sort of like a phantom cloud effect. Anyway, I hope they'll operate better in the new FS.But when it comes to the terrain, the trees, and perhaps the water, I think I can understand where you're coming from--I don't see any real innovations or improvements there. Perhaps there will be some yet; we're always reminded at times like this that the product isn't finished yet.Anyway, I look forward to the new version.

Hey Mouse!So SORRY about editing my post...it's just that when I visited the page a few moments later, I didn't see anybody respond to my original about FS9...so, I just saved bandwidth and edited to another 'I need to really work on this' post....I'll not edited another one (delete topic) for there must be a lag between post interest and what not...Thanks for the response.Yeah....I see FS9 as a patch to FS2002 right now.Nothing to really inspire another $$$ outlay...but who knows, they might surprise us yet, mate!Cheers!Mitch

Guest Paul_W

Er...this is odd; I thought I was replying to a thread about the new FS. Mitch: You might want to replace your original message at the top.

Hey Paul...I wish that I hadn't deleted my original post...sorry about that. Yes...you know...I READ the whole thing, the update page, and I sat there for the very first time...going "woo---hoo....woo...hoo....(snore)....woo----bore.....It's only my take..but I don't see myself laying out bucko's as I did for each other version. I just do NOT see this as a version.No...not at all, Paul...Cheers!Mitch

Paul..uh..er...you DID respond to my original..and I showed that I had just 'cleared' the post by editing it to another topic, as I had not seen any readers or responses, and thought it was of no interest to anyone.Most sorry for the confusion.I won't do that in the future...for the very fact of confusion...Here's a beer...nice and cold......still friends? Any comments about rotors, since I hijacked my own topic....sheesh...(red faced and all....):(LOLSorry...Mitch R>

Guest Paul_W

>...still friends? Any comments about rotors, since I >hijacked my own topic....sheesh...(red faced and all....):( I have one of those twist-grip basic MS joysticks, and no, I tried many times but couldn't vaguely or foggily approach a proper helicopter landing in the Bell (or any other I tried). Sometimes it was such a comedy of errors with everything whooshing this way, then that, and then back again, as if I was on a swing in a park that I couldn't quite stop, I'd just have to give up and hope that those police and fire helicopter pilots weren't having nearly the challenge in the real world that I seemed to be having in the fake one....

Nah..can't give up...there has to be a way...it's in the fine...fine manipulation of the Pro throttle wheel/sliderWhere I sort of lose it...in in the final 50 feet...where you pull back on the stick to slow your linear velocity..while at the same time, control your rate of decent with another control inputIt funks me out...and I wonder how the real jocks do it...I mean..being responsible for TWO planes of motion...that are not linked to the other as in a fixed wing...i.e. you glide DOWN a linear path (glide slope) which gives you control of altitude as well as forward velocity......know what I mean?Cheers!Mitch R.

Hi Mitch,Just to give you some hints about your newly edited post.Within 30ft you ask?How about within 3ftI fly 99% of my time in choppers without any fancy control stick, just a regular MS FFB stick.Now for starters:You should have asked in the "Helicopter and Rotor Head Forum" just down the page.Then go to HS at http://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/FlyingSchool.htm and download their lessons and follow them to the point :>)You can also join HC at http://www.hovercontrol.com, that's where many rotor heads hang out.Be patient, it will take time, be prepared to spend some 50 hours of practice before you start to fly a chopper the way it is supposed to fly.And finally you can get certified by HS and/or HC.

Thanks for the great tips...I'll do just that.The 'thang....isn't going to defeat me....before I'm done..I'll place that sucker on a dime...(the Bell Ranger)yeah..yeah....brave words, I know....LOLAbout that 50 hours? You are NOT kidding, sir....not at all....Cheers!Mitch

Guest Smiley

Back to the topic of this thread :)Some have stated in previous posts that the real helicopters are easier to fly than in MSFS2002. If you set all your sliders to max realism except the general realism slider, and slide it to the 1/2 way point those that have flown real helicopters say that that middle setting is most closely related to real life flying. I have never flown or even ridden in a real helicopter. I have my PPL and have flown helicopter sims since MSFS first modelled a rotor wing aifcraft as well as Apache Longbow by DID/Interactive Magic and Jane's Longbow 2.I have taken off and landed in MSFS in the default Bell 206 with all the sliders to full but only during a blue moon ;) I currently use the general slider at about the 80% towards realism mark. Try this if you have not already.Now to the subject of the new 2004 FS. The add-on ac since 2000 will be flyable in MSFS 2004 ! Wooohooooo !And the weather with clouds forming and dissipating IF it really works is going to be awesome. Better ineractive ATC is a major plus as well. AI traffic at all those little airports many of us fly into and out of that don't have towers is yet another plus :)

Guest Lindy

I can't say I've MASTERED the helos, but I'm getting lots better. I'm pretty much able to put her down if not right on the target, then damn close (and all in one piece).The trick is SMALL smooth input. If you don't have rudder pedals -- GET 'EM if you're serious about flying helos. I can fly the default Bell (the easiest if you don't count Antti's Dauphin), the Hughes 500D amphib and skids, and even the new little Schweitzer 300 recently released by Jordan Moore (but that one is touchy and I have trouble with it).Go visit Hover Control. There's tons of great advice there. The helos ARE flyable!! If I can do it -- ANYBODY can.-Lindy :-rotor