Sign in to follow this  
MM

Welcome to All

A Welcome and a bit of history.The Round the World Race has been conducted between the major flightsim forums since 2003. The first race, between FlightSim and AVSIM, featured a come-from-behind win by Team AVSIM. And 2004 was a relatively easy win, with the team pulling away in mid-race due to some misfortune on the FlightSim side. In 2005, the race became a three-way race when Sim Outhouse (SOH) joined the mix. That year (last year), misfortune fell on AVSIM's doorstep during the key "Concorde" risk/reward portion of the race. As important, Team FlightSim got more thoroughly organized, mobilized many more pilots, and won by a couple of hours.The Race is open to all. You must fly for one of the forums (you can choose) and you probably want to join in on the teamwork, planning, scheduling, and so forth. By almost all accounts, this is absolutely great fun

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Team AVSIM pilot checking in.Location: Arlington, VA (GMT -5hr)Available for evening and weekend multiplayer practice sessions on Bushnet/Teamspeak.Jeff Williams (KDCA)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Well, I wasn't expecting the forum to open this early, but the earlier we can start practice and planning, the better.... :(I'll see what I can do to put up a private forum for team avsim, since sonar's forum seems to have gone away.... (or hiding under a new domain....) And yes, this year I'm on cable internet with voice capability.... :(

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Can host something on my machine which is up nearly 24/7.I wrote (part of) the software so I've full access to the source for security tweaking if needed ;)

Well, forum is done, up and running on a 24/7 host... (Was really bored and doing nothing at the time anyway, gave me something to do for an hour or less :() Although if performance continues to be an issue, I might move it to the other server I have access to... Also have a few mods I might add before it gets too busy....I'll PM the url to jwenting/MM/Sonar5 for now so we can make any last-minute changes/updates/reconfigs/mods before opening it up to the rest of the team....Once registered (preferably using the same username used here), PM me for access to the hidden forum(s)...

Hi guys,Checking In...I registered at the forum.I have a newer Computer, bigger, better, & faster than last year. :-)I'll chime in at the private place and continue to post FAQ's, etc, general tips here...Best Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Hello againDont know if you remember me. I stepped in on the last day to keep the baton going. Flew from an airport in Switzerland down to Italy in the default King Air.Anyway...Im reporting for duty with AVSIM.Consider me a backup. With no rudder pedals any landing with more than 5kt crosswind can be problematic.Only payware I have is SSTSIM Concorde.JT

Hey JT. We are all absolutely delighted to have you aboard again. Wonderful stuff last year.Mike (and all)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hello you guys!Good to see some familiar names gathered again. Feb, 19th, eh? I'll see what I can do about getting a few days off - the race last year was some of the best things I've ever done in front of a screen, and I want more, more, MORE!!!Good to 'see' you all &...COUNT ME IN!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest thespazzz

Team AVSIM Pilot Vince Novak (Spazzz) Reporting for duty.Home Airfeild is (K55J) Fernendina Beach Fl. GMT-5.Availiable almost any time anywhere.

Guest wt1l

Hi Mike and Team AVSIM-Great to see some familiar names responding!I was just thinking about the 2006 race today, and thought I'd check the forums. Sure enough you've already started a thread. Beautiful!I look forward to reclaiming the trophy from Flightsim.com. Those guys beat us last year by being better organized. I think we were also resting on our laurels a bit from our easy victory in 2004. They caught us by surprise and flew a better race. That and the whole Concorde debacle. If there is a Concorde session this year I will practice well ahead of time.Genlemen - 2006 is OUR year. We have a solid crew of veterans and it looks like some new guys are showing interest already too. That is fantistic! We can expect some fierce competition this time around. It would be great if we could organize at least one practice session before the event.See y'all on the other forum!I'm taking the week of 2/19 off from work this year to avoid the sleep deprevation issues we had last year! That didn't work well for the team or my job :)Take care all,Chris WT1L(Veteran)ps. Mike did you ever get a chance to pull together a history of the 2005 race (like 2004)? I'd like to read that over to remember what went wrong last time and brainstorm improvements for this year. Thanks.

Hi all, I was part of Team AVSIM last year.. I only did 1 leg but it was a blast.. hehehe.. I couldn't do more because I had to get my cat spayed.. LOLHope to see ya all this year..

spacer.png

Guest leon.schuiling

Hello allAlthough i have not actually participated in the race carrying the batton, and sure miss the experience that the veteran flyers in this team have. I have guided some flights. If i am welcome i am willing to participate on a better level this year. But before we start i have to have training in navigation and the duena programm.if you want me in i will do my best to be thereleon

I am new to the RTW Race but not to flight simulation. I've logged over 3500 hours since starting this hobby in 1998 mostly in heavy iron simulating real life commercial operations for a virtual airline. I do have a good number of GA type hours as well which seems to be the standard size of aircraft used for the majority of the race.I've read last year's "Official Rules and Charter" and am intrigued by the challenge. If you need the help I'd be happy to participate! I will need guidance, however, as to the rules of engagement and proper flight logging procedures.DougDell XPS Gen3 (3.6GHz/800FSB) | 2GB DDR SDRAM | 74GB SATA, 10k RPM | 120GB SATA | 256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT (Catalyst 5.13) | Audigy 2 ZS Sound | MS Force Feedback 2 | WindowsXP Pro (SP2) | DirectX 9.0c

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

>I've read last year's "Official Rules and Charter" and am>intrigued by the challenge. If you need the help I'd be happy>to participate! I will need guidance, however, as to the rules>of engagement and proper flight logging procedures.>Doug & Leon: welcome aboard!Well, we're here to help as much as we can, both before and during the race...... :)To make a long story long....... :(The preferred method to log the flights is to use the RTW-Duenna program to generate the validation image. It is much more accurate, provides more information, makes it much more difficult to cheat, and just plain looks nice... :( The alternative is the Flight Analysis screen in Flightsim, where you just zoom it out to see the entire flight track and take a screenshot. Save the screenshot as a .jpg and post it on the forum instead of the duenna image. As of last year's race, both are acceptable. (Although I'm hoping the Duenna becomes the absolute requirement..) You setup your flight in Flightsim, and have your aircraft holding short of the active runway at the departure airport, which for my example will be CYAV. Baton is already free, or will soon be free at CYAV. Once your aircraft is fuelled, holding short of the active with engines running, you post on the active thread (by clicking the Reply link on the #1 post--makes things SOOO much more readable and organized if each leg is started in its own subthread) saying that you have the baton, and include where you're flying from and where you're flying to. For example, "I have the baton, CYAV - CYYC" to indicate I'm flying from St. Andrews airport north of Winnipeg, Manitoba to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.Once that's posted, click the "I have the baton" button in the Duenna, and then return to flightsim (assuming no errors in the Duenna) and takeoff and fly the leg.After landing, clear the runway ASAP and stop. Task-switch out of FlightSim back to the Duenna and click the "Drop the baton" button. Duenna will generate an image and a text file (and open both for you). You then need to take that image and attach it to a post on the forum (by replying to your "I have the baton" post or a response to it--don't reply to the #1 post to drop the baton) that says the baton is free and where it is. ("Baton is free at CYYC!" and attached image showing your flight validation) The next pilot is now able to take the baton and fly the next leg.If you're using the Flight Analysis method, once you're stopped and clear of the runway, open your Flight Analysis window, zoom out the map view so you can see the entire flight track, and take a screenshot. Save the screenshot as a .jpg file and attach that to your "Baton is free" post in place of the Duenna image.We highly encourage the use of Multiplayer (I don't think we've officially decided on a host for it yet, but we should have a host before the race begins.... Possibly the Bushnet fshost server here at Avsim...). With multiplayer, other teammates can fly along with you, easily scout out weather at different altitudes enroute (so the baton carrier does not need to risk losing airspeed by hunting for an altitude with better winds), scout out the weather at the intended destination so the carrier knows what to expect when he/she arrives, quickly get help with anything that arises, and just plain have a fun, enjoyable time with other members of the Avsim community. TeamSpeak is also encouraged if you have access to highspeed internet (FS Multiplayer and Teamspeak simultaneously cause problems on dialup, so I wouldn't recommend running both on dialup connections, just use the FS text chat instead...)Choice of aircraft is limited to turboprop aircraft up to 2 engines, or reciprocating props up to 4 engines. Hence, aircraft is essentially limited to smaller, GA or military type aircraft. My personal recommendations are dcc's P-38's for a good freeware option, and FSD's Cheyenne and Avanti as payware. Note: aircraft are also limited to aircraft that have been in commercial production to some degree. No experimental aircraft, or hybrid aircraft such as the Thunderscreetch which actually uses a jet engine to drive the prop (which caused a fair bit of controversy in past races...)As for this year's rules, they'll be released about a week before the race starts. I'll probably be starting a 2006 practice run very soon, so everyone interested can get some practice in baton handoffs, us veterans can get back into the practice, new pilots can learn how it works, etc.In addition, take some time to practice takeoffs and landings in any kinds of conditions. Setup some really bad weather conditions and try to hand-fly your approach to landing possibly without ILS assistance. Try landing at unlit airports in the middle of the night (happened many times, and it IS possible, just need a good aircraft with GPS and very good eyes looking for a very very dark runway, usually becomes visible within 2nm or so.....). Land and takeoff at high-altitude airports. In addition to knowing the rules and being efficient in handoffs, you also need to be able to get down on the runway in any kind of conditions, be it near-zero visibility, unlit airport in the middle of the night, or whatever gets thrown at you. (This is where teamwork on multiplayer really helps, having scouts available to check your destination airport for weather and lights and scout for alternate destinations that have better weather or have lights at night can be invaluable.)We'll always be around to answer any questions before and during the race, so don't be afraid to ask questions if you're unsure of anything.... :)