Sign in to follow this  
MM

Welcome to All

Hooray! Good to have you back with the gang, Alex.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hi All.I'm not sure whether i'm too late, as i've only recently found out about this event, but i'm definately up for helping out if needed.I've been flight simming for a couple of years now,(mostly with and taught by my brother, who's a technician with British Airways at Heathrow) but in the last couple of months i've been taking it more seriously and hence found my way to these forums.I've been watching this forum for a while and trying out some of the routes in the practice sessions and from last years race, to see whether i'm up to standard or not and i think i can be of use.Anyway if you think i can be of use either as a scout, backup or whatever then let me know.CheersHarveyLocation UK

Harv.png?dl=1

Welcome Harvey,Glad to have you with us. Any and all help is appreciated. We are doing a lot of practice flights on bushnet in multiplayer. Please join us when you can. This link will show if anyone is online:http://bn.turbulentsky.com/The multiplayer practice sessions are a good way to gain experience and get to know your fellow team members. During the race we will need pilots, backups, and scouts. You will likely have an opportunity to perform all of these roles over the course of the race. Look forward to seeing you on-line in multiplayer soon.Best Regards,Jeff W (Race Veteran)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Guest Captain L

Hello Everyone,My name is Lucas. I came across some information about the Around The World Race a few years ago and just recently found out more about it after finding Bushnet. I have flown FS for years now starting with MFS2000, 2002, and now 2004. Cant wait untill MFS FSX! I also am a student pilot in real life and have flown a Cesnna 152, 172, and 172SP. I would love to do anything to help you guys out in this race! Hope to see you online,Lucas

welcome to the club. Strap on a speed demon and get some practice runs in.

Guest Manolito

hallo,i've been wondering where exactly one does enlist for the RTW race... i know that i have to decide for a certain team. since i am a long-time "customer" of avsim (also of flightsim.com, but they are a bit too restrictive with the downloads...) my sympathies are clearly more with avsim..let me introduce myself: i am an ex-seaman, german, living in bremen, germany and i've had a couple of years experience with different flightsims (x-plane, fly)...so far i've participated in one race only (the DC-3 World Race...not too long ago...maybe some of you remember it)...that was so much fun, that i thought it would be cool to take part in something more challenging...so...i don't know if you have any prerequisites as to the quality of your pilots...all i can say is this: i have about five years of flightsimming-experience, i have enough time and i can be depended upon...(if i can't show, i will tell in due time.) the plane i fly most times is the volpar (beech 18)...of course i've pretty much tried anything i could get my hands on (i guess almost all flightsimmers do that), but the volpar (from BushFlyingUnlimited) is my favourite...so: can i partake as a member of avsim-team?best regards,manfred kramer

Welcome aboard!Feel free to join in on the practice thread, take the baton for a hop or two before the race starts. That should give you an idea of what you can expect during racing conditions.Before you do that, however, download the race Duenna reporting tool here: http://johannesmueller.com/fs/web/duenna/ You can browse the forum here for a general idea of what you might expect during race conditions when the race starts on February 19th. This year's official rules should be posted shortly before the race starts.The only prerequisite we ask of our pilots is that they be able to safely takeoff, fly to their destination and land the aircraft safely without crashing. I like to think that this includes most of our forum's population.Even more beneficial is the pilot's ability to find your destination airport and safely land, regardless of conditions. During the race, we might end up landing during almost any kind of conditions, ranging from crystal clear with no wind to dense fog to high crosswinds to landing at an unlit airstrip in the dead of night with no ILS to help. (GPS helps a lot here!) But this is generally when it reaches the extremes, and is not usually the case. Most of the time, conditions are pretty reasonable.As for aircraft, just find a fast piston-prop or twin-engine (or less) turboprop. dcc's P38L is a good suggestion, but anything that's reasonably fast is good as well. (I'm not familiar with the Beech 18's airspeeds, so I can't compare...)This got a little longer than I'd hoped, but hopefully it answers any questions based on your post... :) And yes, I remember the DC-3 Rally, I participated in it... :(

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

The Beech 18 is quite a leasurely aircraft, not really suited for racing (unless you're racing a DC3 or something like that).

Guest Manolito

thanx for your info...i downloaded this p38l and just had a little trial run from KJFK to KDCA. i must say: i am delighted by this little bugger...it's easy to handle and doesn't have this tendency to overspeed...very nice plane...now i am sure i can use it for the race. as for the prerequisites: i am quite acquainted with the navigation by GPS or radio-navigation (used that when working on ships)...i already did some practice legs in the forum, but i wasn't sure if i was already enlisted...and yes: the volpar is a quite "leisurely" plane...that's why i use it so often when doing some bushflying...but i won't use it for the race don't worry...we want to be fast and -of course- first!best regards,manfred kramer

Hi ManfredYes, the P-38 is an all-time winner. It may not be the fastest hen in the coop, but it is solid, forgiven - and good-looking :)Only thing missing is ILS capabilities, but i'm assume there is an add-on for that.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

ILS is for wusses, real men line up on drums of burning excrements :)

Considering my ILS approach difficulties yesterday, that might have been better....At least I'm sure I would have been able to see the smoke from far away!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Actually, it does have ILS capabilities. If you look in the panel.cfg you can exchange the guage under the autopilot for a gauge with ILS. Everything is already there, you just have to delete the "//" before the ILS-gauge (it's easy to find, it has the text: "use this one if you want glideslope") and add "//" before the line above it.Klas

Guest dcc

glad you guys are enjoying the 38... glad you found the ILS gauge. I'm a visual flyer, but I've had enough requests for the modern gauges that I put some in. At the risk of making my fellow SOH-teammate upset for giving this tip to Team Avsim :) ... I should mention that if you want to use the external tanks, you'll need to open up the aircraft.cfg file and remove the // from the external tanks (and then specify their size, either 150 or 300). The 300's are banned from the race, though... not realistic to fly max speed with 'em on ;) ;)Also, I have an update to the P-38L visual model (and some slight fixes to the flight model) that's not here at the avsim library, but at my site, if you're interested. (www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/model )Good luck with the race! - dcc(former Team Avsim pilot)

Hey Klas,Thanx a lot!It'll be nice to have. Whether to use it or not depends on the circumstances :)BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH