Sign in to follow this  
Guest DreamFleet

FS9 impressions

Guest abent

I should have been a little more explicit. I was refering to the clouds/fog down in the ridges of the mountains. Looks much better!Adam

Guest byoung

I think MS should lower the price and make a Seperate Airplane Add-On pack for those who want to buy it.I just wondering if my 2.4 GHZ Pentium with 1 GB RAM will be able to handle FS9 FS 2004, and GE4 Ti 4200?Also, what about making the control (joystick control defaults) surfaces part of the flight model where it belongs. You shouldn't be able to adjust these as a default. Like PSS models their aircraft at the default settings, other should do the same..It would be NICE to be able to TRIM all airplanes for straight and level flight! It takes continous adjustments to keep aircraft on heading and altitude. You should be able to fly any aircraft without the use of the Auto Pilot!!!!Need better ground scenery that doesn't eat up FPS.Need more efficient A/I aircraft that doesn't eat up FPS.ATC - Needs to model Radar Contact, period.Now thats a release!FS 2008 before that happens!Do more with less not MORE with ALOT MORE!!!!!! Barry

>>It would be NICE to be able to TRIM all airplanes for >straight and level flight! It takes continous adjustments >to keep aircraft on heading and altitude. You should be >able to fly any aircraft without the use of the Auto >Pilot!!!! >>Fact----- flight sim models are tougher to trim than their real counterparts. Always seems a tad to little or too much. But I've NEVER flown a real plane, without auto-pilot that just flew level, very long with hands off. Even in calm weather! They still require small small adjustments, and sometimes, quite frequently.L.Adamson

Unfortunately, with so many add-ons sitting on the shelf next to FS2002, this might get lost in the crowd. "A Century of Flight" even SOUNDS like an add-on. Unless there's a lot of press about this, I bet sales will be off by at least 25% compared to the same exact product in a "FS2004" box. Having said that, the summer release is an excellent surprize! Wasn't expecting anything until early next year. Already good scenery, and now a good atmosphere, all we need is a GOOD FLIGHT MODEL!!! Guess we'll have to till FS10 for that one. John

Guest PaulL01

Hi Chris,>Aircraft and scenery created for Flight Simulator 2000 and >later work with Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of >Flight, provided the developer followed the guidelines in >the Flight Simulator SDK. The real joke is that even MS didn't follow the SDK especialy in scenery code. We'll just have to wait and see what makes it in/out when she turns gold.Hope there is better suport for adding better river, road and coastline data.Still, it will be good. :)

Do you guys think that we can use our current Add ons like: PSS Airbus, DF 737, PSS 747 ETC or we have to wait one year for the patch to make them compatible.... again??!!!

Guest byoung

I have flown the real thing (although a long while ago.) And I don't remember careening like you do in flight simulator aircraft. Sure you do have to minor adjustments based on wind, etc but a real aircraft transisitions much better back to the point of trim. It doesn't careen past it. Little bit of trim adjustment and you stay trim, you are not constantly on the controls. Exceptions would be gusts, wind shear, turbulence.If you controlled real aircraft in this manner, NO ONE would get their Instrument rating. Or Commercial or ATP rating for that matter.There should be one Flight Dynamics Engineer working on Flight Simulator. And at least one retired airline pilot and maybe a currently IFR rated G/A pilot.Just my two cents worth.Barry

Guest christian

Just adding my 2 cents:1st cent:Are you people insane?!? For years we've been telling M$ to concentrate on physics, weather, and flight/airport functionality, rather than on graphics and now they come out with press release that basically says: "look, we were good and listened this time", and this thread is just full of complaints like, "oh, look at the graphics, just looks like FS2002, must be a patch"!!! What is going on here?!?Let's face it. The terrain engine of FS2002 was not bad and if M$ improves the terrain texture mipmap handling, we'll have a solid terrain engine that does it's job well. Of course, they are plenty of improvements that you can stick into the terrain, like moving cloud shadows, more detailed vegetation, but this would take a major rewrite of the terrain engine (using lots of DX9 features). And for all this stuff to work you'll need a DX9 card, but people keep complaining that they don't want to upgrade their hardware! What do you want? That FS9 comes out in 2005 and a high-end gaming system with latest graphics cards and CPU included? And all that for $50?!? Get real!!!If M$ truly sticks to their feature list and manages to pull this off without major annoyances, I will be one of the first to congratulate them to a great game. The feature list just looks too good. Fully functional 3D panels (I'm a 2D panel user, but in the end, if the 3D ones works well, you might as well use the 3D one and just don't change the view :) ), the Garmin GPS (including terrain maps!!!), significantly more airport detail, far improved ATC, and above all DYNAMIC WEATHER!!! This list really had me drooling for a while. It's just too bad that the screenshots don't do the list any justice. No pics of more detailed airports, GPS, etc (how do you show a screenshot of an impoved weather engine anyway :-roll ). Has anyone actually noticed that a majority of the new features aren't actually in the screenshots? Of course FS9 will look like a patch if you just look at the screenshots. That's why you have to read the whole press release!True, the range of aircraft doesn't knock me off the chair, simply because some 3rd party aircraft are just so much better, but it doesn't hurt either.Remembering the recent MSFS job add, I'm sure the next version will get major graphical impovements again, they will use DX9 shaders, so I suspect bumpmapping and per-pixel specular lighting and lots of other fancy stuff. But this is still a flight SIM, not a first person shooter! I want to be immersed into the sim as if I'm in a real aircraft, not just a 3D world and aircraft viewer with crappy physics. I'm a huge fan of juicy computer graphics, but for that I'll get myself a copy of DOOM3 the end of this year. That game will graphically knock my socks off, nothing FS9 will ever compete to. But the point is that it isn't meant to compete, it's a completely DIFFERENT game!Another good thing about the graphical engine not changing much: all our FS2002 aircraft and scenery files will keep working without major hassles. This can only be a great plus.2nd cent:Yes, I don't think that there will be any major improvements in the graphics anymore. This game is supposed to come out in summer. It's februar already. By now the FS team must get close to stopping putting major features into the game. They will have to start polishing all the edges off soon, otherwise they'll be in for a desaster. No one wants to buy buggy software...I've probably been known to heavily critise M$ in the past on some things, but this feature list is nothing to go on about negatively. It truly is a step into the right direction. Let's hope FS9 will live up to this list when it's released.Sorry for the 'rough' tone, I'm just in a bad mood. I hope some people will get the point though...Cheers, Christian

I thought a more accurate landclass/sat photo type scenery was in store for us..oh well.

Eric 

well im "getting real"i would have MUCH preffered to wait for a sim with a NEW engine...not a slightly re-vamped one, there comes a time when you have to forget compatibility with older versions and move on.the 3rd party wizards out there would soon have aircraft/add ons by the bucket full, talent is talent after all. ill still buy it though (maybe MS know what suckers us simmers are like) but it still remains a weather/atc add on to me.unless theres a few undisclosed features??jim.

Because the idiots can't get it into their heads that it is a new version.They're the kind that would complain if it were a completely new product because then "Microsoft could have better spent their time improving what they already had instead of making the same mistakes all over again".Besides, some are just wanting to have a gripe and justify their decision to use a pirated copy ("it's really only a patch and Microsoft shouldn't charge for those so I don't have to pay").From the screenshots (which are of course of a development version, possibly an early beta) it looks quite promising.They're too small to make out small details, but overall there seems to be quite an improvement in all areas that can be determined from a screenshot.Even if noone's pet idea has been incorporated, that's not important. The most important things remain the things you don't see in a screenshot and we won't know those until we get our hands on the finished product: flight dynamics and performance.

Well said about people flaming Microsoft concentrating on the non-visual improvements!What we've seen here is the very reason that Microsoft until now has always given more attention to the visible details than to the non-visuals.If they don't markedly improve the visual you get this kind of flaming with people saying it's not worth the money because it's just a brushed up version... Guess what, you get what you ask for. And people buy based on screenshots in magazines and on websites, they don't buy because it says on the box or in the pressrelease that there are such nice flight dynamics if only because you're all such Microsoft critics and don't believe their statements anyway. Look at you, the feature list mentions a lot of things that are invisible in a screenshot but all you do is gripe about the visuals being similar to FS2002 (which they are only on a superficial level, if you look better you see small improvements everywhere that together make a big improvement over an already good product).

And then you'd complain high and low about not being able to use your addons written for the old engine and DEMAND!!!!!!!! a free upgrade to all of them.

Guest teemupi

I'am hoping that FS9 will be combatible with SquawkBox, or at least SquawkBox 3.0. Well we see it later this year... :-)