Sign in to follow this  
Guest DreamFleet

FS9 impressions

Guest jason2112

Hi! It seems that the announcement on the news page is still smoking fresh, because I've only seen one posting regarding FS9, as I will call it because "Flight Simulator - A Century of Flight" is too complicated for me ;)So what do you think? Realistic weather simulation with 3D clouds, improved ATC, clickable VCs, full color map, and two Garmin GPS devices. Sounds like they've been reading our postings :)Unfortunately the screenshots only show external views of the planes. I was not too impressed, looks just like FS2002 with maybe slightly more detail. But the current version is really strong regaring graphics, so I'm quite happy they seem to be focusing on the internals.During the last months I've bought quite some payware addons, we'll see if they are compatible with FS9, and if there will be patches to make use of new features, especially clickable 3D cockpits. Time will tell ...Bye for now,VOlker :]

It's too soon to say much of anything about the new version of Flight Simulator. It's most likely best we keep the wish list going because untile we have the finished product in our hands, we can't comment on things like 'how good the weather is'...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Hi, All information here:http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02SpecialFS9.aspAircraft and scenery created for Flight Simulator 2000 and later work with Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Flight, provided the developer followed the guidelines in the Flight Simulator SDK. ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I'm glad to see MS is dropping the old nameing convention (FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002). They can call the next one 'Flight Simulator Better Weather' or 'Flight Simulator -- Fully Functioning ATC (We mean it this time)'...lol. Just jokeing but the date thing was getting old to me...

FS2020 

It sounds like not much has changed. I see that they are requiring DX9 but that any video card drivers that are compliant with DX7, or later, will work. Sort of looks like we won't be needing a 9700 for this one. Good thing the existing add-ons will, for the most part, still work. Yawn.....Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hi, Well almost all user like fs2002, so I see no reason for totally new dramatic engine change, the major complain in fs2002 was the weather,Ai ,lighting and the Atc and for some user the terrain blur.and they have alot improved. There is still feature that's they have not released. like new detailed scenery, photo sat etc.It's better to do it like this, instant to release an broken software with stutters etc.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Paul_W

Well I put this in a different thread about the new FS, but then that was changed into a thread about helicopters (the first time I've seen that approach!), so I'll add it here too:Some of the plane exteriors look outstanding, and some of the cloudscapes from a distance are striking. And it's just great that MS is going with a summer release, because all the waiting for what's the latest and the greatest can get to be quite boring when it drags on well into the fall.As expected, the clouds look like the new ones introduced in CFS3, and I'm probably one of the few who was not impressed with those; the edges frequently appeared like something from a double-exposed photograph, and when you flew directly towards a cloud it would either pop in or out (I forget which) at the last second--sort of like a phantom cloud effect. Anyway, I hope they'll operate better in the new FS.But when it comes to the terrain, the trees, and perhaps the water, I don't see any real innovations or improvements there. Perhaps there will be some yet; we're always reminded at times like this that the product isn't finished yet.Anyway, I look forward to the new version.

I agree Chris... Since they have a winner with the FS2002 engine, all they need to do is patch up it up instead of releasing a whole new build. I may be able to use my current computer for another year. My main grip was with framerates. Mine would drop during flight requireing me to update FSMetro to get the smoothness back. I'm glad MS decided to perfect an awsome build of their engine. It's a first in FS history...

FS2020 

>fs2002 was the weather,Ai ,lighting and the Atc and for some >user the terrain blur. >and they have alot improved. But from the screenshots the weather unfortunately still shows this 'limited radius' behavior.Michael J.

Hi, "As expected, the clouds look like the new ones introduced in CFS3, and I'm probably one of the few who was not impressed with those; the edges frequently appeared like something from a double-exposed photograph, and when you flew directly towards a cloud it would either pop in or out (I forget which) at the last second--sort of like a phantom cloud effect"This can be improved a little, to be honnest I have saw no real volumetric clouds in any games probably for the frame rate, they are all clouds one side togheter, or disapearing when you are in front of them, I have test them all.Whats is good is the weather system:Dynamic weather system based on realistic atmospheric physics, with true three-dimensional clouds that form and dissipate, and automatic real-world weather updates when you're connected to the Internet. Weather

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest JonP01

I fully agree with Chris. There is nothing worse than getting something new chock full of features that runs like a dog. That is why sims such as CFS2 and FS2002 were such a breath of fresh air. And that is why sims such as FS2000 and CFS3 were so viciously torn apart by many people. If you look at the history of complaints in any FS forums over the last few years, nothing, but nothing, has roused more complaints than a poor performing sim. Even if FS9 looked a whole lot better with much improved functionality, I would still be sticking with FS2002 if the feedback suggested that the new sim ran like CFS3 does on many setups.But from what I've seen so far, the new release looks to be the ultimate refinement of what started out as FS2002. And that ain't any bad thing at all. Infact it was exactly what I was hoping for. I really wasn't even expecting Win9x support on this one, so MS have surprised me here. It looks like I get to keep running Win98SE on my flight sim machine for a couple of years yet. I really wasn't expecting to purchase any more MS flight sim products after FS2002, but you can put me down for the new one even now.

Please Please Please microshaft i HOPE you upgraded the ATC and the AI, i don't want to line up on final and find an AI flying over my head on the same runway,i hope they have improved1/ AI 2/ Use of mulitple runways when landing and departing3/ Requesting any runway to land4/ Vectors to an airport and landing runway while flying VFR5/ Change of altitude in flight6/ SID's / Stars !!!!

Hi, It's appears to be yes, but we should wait for detailed interview etc.Enhanced interactive air traffic control (ATC), including traffic at all airports around the world (including non-towered airports), altitude changes en route, pop-up IFR clearances, and precision and non-precision approaches to multiple runwaysinformation are here:http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02SpecialFS9.aspThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Joshieca

Even thought it doesn't say, the graphics engine will have been improved. For starters, this new sim uses DX9. Plus they are adding things such as more AI traffic, taxiway signs, and better cloud decks...the current engine wont be able to handle all of this.Looks very promising indeed![div align=center] [link:forums.jetdoc.com/|Visit The Community Forums][link:www.jetdoc.com/NWS/airnews.html]Live AirNEWS 24/7][/b