Sign in to follow this  
svenks

Question about the Duenna

Hi all,Yesterday (evening, my time - night, FS time) I flew a leg, but blew the posting part. So I thought, why not look at the Himalayas in daylight, even if it'll screw up the Duenna.And so I did, managed to land at some small runway south of the mountains in fog, and stopped the Duenna. And Lo & Behold: My flight was deemed valid??? Even if I had made night into day?? Of course, you could see from the start and landing times that something was screwy, but what if I had reset the time just prior to landing?My question is: Isn't this something the Duenna should handle? Actually I thought it did...BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Duenna has no knowledge of timezones so it can't tell whether the local time you're flying under is correct.

Use the Arm so that you dont have to click on the button before taking off. As soon as you reach 5kt it will start recording.I have had no problems with it during my practice runs.

Hi JeroenThis is not a question of time zones: I changed the time in FS (while flying with Duenna running!) from night to day, and Duenna didn't report this as cheating.Imagine you're coming to a non-lit airport. You can't see the airport, but then you just make it day. Just as you flare, make it night again, and the flight is valid!Not that we here at Team Avsim would ever resort to this kind of thing!:-halo My question still is: Shouldn't the Duenna catch this? This is just as bad as mid-air refueling (which it DOES catch)BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

As John Mueller points out, the pilot loses half his brains on picking up the baton.It is easy to rush to the forum, post "I have the baton", and then zip back to FS9 and take off. Ooooops. Forgot to start the Duenna! (Not that I've ever done this...looks off in the distance.)So a reasonable procedure is to set up a check list--see Chris's suggestion--and be sure to have things ready on the aircraft. While the prior pilot is landing, taxi to the end of the runway and get aligned for takeoff. Then "arm" the Duenna. (Do NOT taxi after arming the Duenna--or you'll have to reset it.)Go post your "I have the Baton". Return to FS9. Take off. The Duenna will now have started--once it senses your movement. It will also automatically stop on your landing--and produce the report. (The automaticity is, I think, adjustable en route. Note sure. Anyone try this?)Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Jozef_K

Mike,This things, which you easily forget when in a hurry, should imho summarised together with Chris' suggestions to fit on a singe sheet of paper. Old veterans (I don't call names!) may not need them, but for newbies like me, it would come very handy to have at hand when the party (and the stress) starts seriously. What do you think?Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

You are wrong :-). Old veterans need these in a single check list, too.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

yes, where the youngsters lack experience our memories are starting to deteriorate :-wave :-lol