Sign in to follow this  
svenks

Bushnet seems unstable...

Guest wt1l

Good thought, that would definetely cause a problem. I think the Linksys routers use 192.168.0.1 for the router device IP. So the one he has would be valid. One other concern I have is about the router and computer being in the same IP "range". If the router IP is 192.168.0.1, I would set the static IP on the FS computer to 192.168.0.2 and adjust the post forwarding settings accordingly. If the router IP is 192.168.1.1, then set the computer to 198.168.1.2. Jozef: see my other post about this issue here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=2182&page=

Hi JozefCheck your E-mail... :)Also, you will need to check the settings for Zonealarm. While I think it's a great product, it caused problems for me by not having the correct posts open! It may also have trouble with your changing your IP address as I suggest in my my mail, so perhaps you should leave at .100. Basically Zonealarm needs to have the same port setup as your router, but I'm not sure how to do that.What we can do, if we still have problems after this, if to disable Zonealarm on a trial basis, just to see if that is the cause of the trouble. See also DarkCharisma's post!Boy, I wish it weren't necessary with all these safety precautions. While they work, they also create lots of trouble!!!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest Jozef_K

Hi Sven,Meanwhile I changed my IP to a static one. See screenshot. And best of all: my internet connection still works!My e-mail address ends on .NU (not on .NL). NL stands for Netherlands of course, but my home-village has its own (very fast) fiberglass network, so .NU stands for Nuenen.Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141682.jpg

I thought I would see what my software firewall (Norton Internet Security) does when I connect to the server. I noticed that it logs connection to the server on ports 23456 (incoming UDP-packets) and also on port 23432 (outgoing UDP-packets). I have no idea id this id of any importance, and I don't know if it sends something to other players on port 23432, since only I and someone's FS Navigator is on the server at the moment. No connections to the FS Navigator are logged as far as I can see, only connections to the server on ports 23456 and 23432.Also, I have another problem that I came across last night, the internet connection on my computer was all of a sudden gone, and I have no idea why, because internet still worked on the other computers of my local network. The sam thing happened about a half hour ago. I have no idea what the problem is. If anyone have any idea at all what may have caused this, could you please tell me? :)edit: Jeroen just logged in, and my logs still show no other connections than to the Bushnet server.. I will try to log another firewall rule, see if that picks up any other connections...Klas

Hi KlasThe reason you're seeing traffic on port 23432 is simply that FSnavigator tells the MP server that it is using that port. So when you tries to join, it will send info to (I think it was Lucas') FSNavigator on port 23432.It worries me much more that you don't get any traffic from Jeroen, although from a Network Monitor session I did yesterday I could see that he was very slow to reply (his PC, that is :))I still think that your connection problems is caused by Norton: Your IP address is valid, Teamspeak has no problems with it, yet I get "Destination Unreachable" when I try to connect when you are already on. What's double strange is that, in the end I will be connected and you are dumped from the server. That's behaviour I haven't seen before!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Hi SvenI think I know why I didn't see Jeroen in the log. I realized that it logged everything that FS did, and FS connected to the Bushnet server (and to Lucas' FS Navigator) about ... well, many times every second, so the log would only show the last 5-10 seconds every time I looked at it. When I then changed it to log all activities on the FS ports, and set it so that it would only make an entry to the log every 100 times something happened, I could see a couple of minutes back in time. But it seemed that the only connections to Jeroen that I found was when I wrote something or he wrote something in the chat. I have no idea why it didn't connect to Jeroen as often as to the FS Navigator.I did some check on the Symantec website, which checked for vulnerabilities of some ports, and they showed up as "stealth". I think this may be the issue, but I don't know whether is is Norton or the router that creates this. But I think it is the router, because it tests your Internet IP, not you local IP.Klas

Hi KlasQTE because it tests your Internet IP, not you local IP.UNQTEBut which ports numbers does it test? If it is FS ports, then you could use the test for something, otherwise no. If you have both a firewall in your router (and you do) and in your PC, your ports will be 'twice stealthed'. The same goes for your IP address - it could also be changed twice.I still think you should try disable Norton. The alternative is to place your PC in the DMZ, which basically puts it directly on the Net. I considered doing this with my own FS machine, as it would enable me to see ALL network traffic, not just what the firewall did allow thru. But that would require me to get a much better s/w firewall such as Zonealarm Pro - and I might be no wiser, since that might filter the packages I wanted to see.So while you could use a DMZ, I do not recommend this.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Hi SvenTried to connect now when I saw you online at Bushnet. I tried to disable Norton, didn't help at all, I even turned off autostart in Norton and rebooted.Maybe the peoblem is somewhere else, if the problem was in Norton, then why doesn't it block other people? Same if the problem is my router, why doesn't it block for example Jeroen, and why didn't it block you last year? (I don't remember if I've flown with you online since last year's race, but back then it worked)It may have something to do with me reinstalling Windows a couple of months ago, but I can't see how that would matter...edit: You think it may have something to do with my firewall blocking UPnP-ports (ports 1900 and 5000)? I am looking at Microsoft's support website, and in the article (about troubleshooting MS network games) there's a part about UPnP networks. It doesn't say if they matter, to the games, it's more like an advertisement for UPnP :(And I also found this little note there:Note A firewall is designed to help protect your computer from attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses that use unsolicited incoming network traffic to attack your computer. Before you disable your firewall, you must disconnect your computer from all networks including the Internet.I'm sure that tip is going to help you when trying to fix your internet games :-shy Klas

Hi KlasIf you look at my post "Muttiplayer Issues - Final Call" ...and what is a Muttiplayer? - I hate when I'm too late in discovering typos), you can see my theory as to why not everyone is hit by this: It takes 2 high-secure systems: 1 to send out "strange" information and 1 to reject it. Take the example with arrvoo: His router sent out his IP address as xxx.yyy.zzz.0. This is normally a broadcast address.Jeroen has no router, but he must have a software firewall. He had no problem with this, but I had: I never saw arrvoo's replies, probably because my firewall (in the router) saw an incoming, unsolicted UDP package from an obviously invalid address. So it dumped it, and that is the way it should work!In other words: It could be your firewall is blocking me, but it could also be my firewall is blocking you, if it deems something is strange with the traffic. However in this case, I AM trying to send to you, but I get Destination Unreachable. Yet I'm able to communicate with you using TS and that goes thru the same firewall, and should be using the same IP address. So it must be that I can't reach you on that IP address ON THAT PORT. And I can see you are registered with the MP server using a mighty strange port: 11xxx.So, is the problem with me? Well, half of it is and I've always known this. So why am I trying to get other people to change their setup instead of doing something myself? Because I KNOW my router is set up as it should be, and I KNOW that if all others are too, then it will work! Proof: Up until now, every teammember I have done this with are now able to connect with everyone else (provided everyone else are correctly set).Last year: I have changed my ISP since then. Back then I had a dumb router (no firewall) with built-in ADSL modem in front of my SMC router - but the SMC was still there, and the firewall was active. I'm not sure when SP2 arrived, but surely that was more than 1 year ago. If it did, I probably had the SP firewall active, as I had when this issue started. It is now disabled. What have changed for you since last year?UPnP: I'm not sure what it is, and what it might do for - or against - you.I suggest we do a session tonight or tomorrow night. I'm taking my wife to dinner tonight (it IS valentines), so maybe it would be better tomorrow.There MUST be a clue in the fact that TS connects OK, and MP doesn't. I have a portscan program, that we might try - unfortunately the UDP results are inconclusive.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

HiI just tried forwarding all ports between 2300 and 65287 and turn off my software firewall and still couldn't connect... This is very, very strange. I would try to by-pass the router and connect my computer straight to the DSL-modem if no-one else had been online here, but my brither plays World of Warcraft, so he's online there during most of the day when he is home.About why TS works, I think that TS only uses the server to connect to players, that is, you send information to the server and the server sends that information to the others that are on the server. It doesn't require you to connect directly to another player, but I might be wrong about this.But how come perr-to-peer programs work on my computer then. But I don't hink all P2P applications work, I think Skype had to connect via a server when I tried to send a file there, and the speed was limited tp 1,0 KB/s (man that's slow when you're used to 400 KB/s minimum ;), well, not that fast when sending...)I am totally out of ideas, maybe we could get MS to rewrite the multiplayer part for FS9 and send it to us by Sunday? :-roll Klas

You're right about TS - but when I thought of that, it was too late to edit the post.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH