Sign in to follow this  
svenks

A show of hands

Hi all,Manolito has a good point in another thread: Who are we and how many are we at this time?So let's have a show of hands, post in this thread!:-jumpy BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

long time veteran of this race, joined in on the end of the first day of the first race in 2003.Should be available most of the time day or night during the race (given a few hours of sleep once in a while), I've notified my employer that I'm off that week.Moderately capable pilot (still can't get Concorde out of Lukla), veteran route planner.

Guest wt1l

Who I am:Real world pilot. Three year race veteran. Behind-the-scenes Team AVSIM organization guy. Flightsim enthusiast since the SimLogic greenscreen days. I build my own computers and have a "ridiculous" flight sim setup according to my girlfriend. I work too much as a writer in a Bank, so in my free time I tend to write a lot of forum posts. Most of the forum readers wish I had less free time :) I'm on vacation the week of the race, that's how addicted I am to this racing thing! I enjoy the race immensely and especially dig the great comraderie and teamwork with people around the world. You'll see a lot of me on the forums, teamspeak, and multiplayer. Who I am not:A helicopter pilot. I built a radio controlled helicopter when I was in high school. Took nearly 4 months to build, and less than 10 seconds to pulverize itself into a thousand pieces. Anything with that many moving parts is only flying by sheer luck :)Sven-Good idea on this thread. Where's your post?Welcome to all my new teammates! And to all my old teammates, great to see you guys again for another go. This is our year!

Hi all,I was new to Avsim (but not to Flight Simulator) last year, and enjoyed following the race so much that I can't resist the urge to join in this time around. I'm willing to pitch in where I can, although I don't have any experience with online or multiplayer sessions, or the "teamspeak" I keep seeing. However, I'm willing to try anything to support the cause.Who I am: I've had FS2004 for a couple of years now and enjoy every bit of it. I am comfortable flying in both VFR and IFR conditions, and like flying everything from the vintage stuff to heavy metal. I work in the No. VA/Wash DC area, so my weekdays (and nights) are pretty tight, but I generally have parts of my weekends free to fly. I'd be willing to take a leg or just fly someone's wing, whatever the case may be.What I have to fly: I downloaded dcc's P-38 last year and feel pretty comfortable flying it. I also have the PSS Concorde, but not that much experience with it. I'll be working on that over the next week or so ;-) I also have a Shigeru's P-51D "Aces" package and Alpha Blue Ciel's F4U, if they're acceptable for racing. And of course the vintage default COF a/c.If anyone could suggest where to pitch in, I'd be grateful. Looking forward to Team Avsim's victory this year!Craig Taylor

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Guest wt1l

Hi Craig-We are practicing just about every night (in the US) until the race on bushnet multiplayer. The IP is 66.75.27.105. Please feel free to join us and we will show you the ropes. If you need help with multiplayer, please PM me. Great to have you aboard!Best,Chris

Ok, I started it, so...Name is Sven, living in Denmark about 4 miles from Copenhagen Airport. That is handy since I also work there. I'm a network admin and programmer in Scandinavian Airlines, working with Flight Data monitoring.I've been flight simming since FS version 1 or 2: CGA graphics in 4 colours, running from a 5 1/4" floppy on a 8088 IBM PC (yes, the first model).I followed the race 2 years ago, last year I joined and flew a few legs. Some were good, some were... shall we say: Not up to standard. :-roll Still, the guys here won't chew you up for that, just: "Don't worry, you'll do better next time!". That being said, we ARE here to win, not to chrash :-samuraiI fly the dcc P-38 and the ** P-51 in the race. The Concorde as well, if there is supersonic leg again this year.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest sfoofficer

Another vet here. Ran in last year's RTW and had quite a blast. Concorde, Dash 8, and Avanti are my primary mounts, although I've recently been gaining proficiency in the FW-190 and the P-38. Also have been getting quite comfy in the T-38... for those occasions that might warrant it. :)In R/L, I work as an Airfield Safety Officer (combination inspector/field pseudo-police) at KSFO, an airport that I've worked at for the better part of the decade (humble beginnings as a fueler). There was also a single tour in the US Navy working with P-3 Orions out of Hawaii, so figure 13 or so years actually being around planes. My hobby just happens to be flying as well; five years and 400 hrs worth, IFR rated and working on my commercial ticket. And of course, there's MSFS, which I've been a diehard fan of since how many moons ago.Next?Best Regards,

Who I am:I

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Names Buzz. I am an airplane nut. I live a out half a mile north of KBJC north of Denver, CO. I have been flying flight sim since the sublogic days on APple IIe's. Used to Fly!, but when I built up a new PC, I got into FS9 and the great add ons. I love multiplayer, but have not had a lot of oppourtunity to fly with others. This will be my first time participating in the race.I am able to fly after 0600 UTC

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Hi all,I'm a long time flightsimmer. Got into FS98, coming over from the combat side, and of course started with SubLogic's simulation on a Comodore-64. I was an early pilot in the 2003 Race and am partly to blame (along with Jeroen, Marc Sykes, Dave, and others) for changing the event from a gentlemanly take-your-turn world tour to an organized madhouse of a team event. The last couple of years, I've been involved with Matt Smith, Ian Dale, and others, in making the race more complicated, more challenging, and perhaps more interesting.In RL I'm an undergraduate anesthesiologist. That is to say, I'm a college professor who gives boring lectures. During the week of the race, I'll be around as much as possible but will have to miss a couple of afternoons. I'm not a RL pilot and tip my cap to our members who are.The really great thing about the RTW Race is the camaraderie that one shares with one's own teammates and with the participants from the other teams. I agree with Chris who has said that this is the very best thing in Flight Simulation.Look forward to sharing these moments with everything this year!Best,Mike MacKuen (A good idea for a thread, Sven!)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

My name's Dave (starting to sound like an AA meeting...), and I'm trained as a computer technician but currently unemployed, which means I'm available 24/7 for the race, and should be able to make myself available in this next week for more practice legs (been rather busy in different projects and 6 million other things... :() Was introduced to Flight Simulator with Flight Simulator II on the Commodore 64, and joined the PC Flight Sim line with Flight Simulator 4 (where I really actually learned how to actually line up and land on a runway... The C64 sim framerate and the type of joystick the C64 used was just too awful for me to be able to line up and land on a runway..) Been flying every version of FS since...Flew in the first inter-forum RTW race for Team Avsim, and have flown for Avsim in each race since.

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Hi My names Harv(ey), and i think i'm the only member from the UK. I've been flight simming for several years but only in the last few months a lot more seriously. I'm mostly taught by my brother who's an engineer for British Airways at Heathrow (so there's my aviation connection :))and he's trying to get his PC stable at the moment so he can join up with Avsim as well.This will be my first year in the race which i stumbled across while browsing these forums. I've booked 3 days off from work to try and help bring the trophy back to Avsim

Harv.png?dl=1

Guest Manolito

i'm manfred, a german, living in this river-port called bremen, germany...i am 50 years old and an ex-mariner but jobless now...so: plenty of time for this race...my first simulator experience was with x-plane (starting from version 5) -more than 5 years ago- but as msfs got more attractive on the visual side i changed to fs2002 (and then to fs2004) and have stuck ever since -wasting plenty of time and money...(sigh)