Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfoofficer

Open Invitation - Race Pilot Recruitment

Guest sfoofficer

Team Avsim is putting out an open invite for all pilots who may be interested in participating in the 2006 Round The World Race. Phase 1 of this program will commence on Feb 10th. We will be hosting various multiplayer sessions in which new pilots will be given the opportunity to fly with some of the veterans of previous RTW's. The idea is to get to know one another, get an idea of particular strengths, and of course to have a little fun in the process. Sim-pilots who show potential (and we're hoping for many if not all)will then be asked to join in Phase 2, a series of flights that closely mimics how we are actually practicing for this upcoming event. In this area, we will assist you to become proficient in thread posting and Duenna usage, all the while continuing to hone the critical skills for planning and executing a race leg.Finally, those who are accepted from this pool of candidates (again, more is better) will proceed to go on to Phase 3 and join in on the actual practice threads. This is as real as it gets to the RTW; pilots who get to this point are essentially onboard and fine tuning their routines for the big race.For those who would like to join in on this program, please reply directly to this post, listing your name, availability, and a sampling of aircraft from MSFS (default or otherwise) that you feel comfortable flying (please keep in mind the race restrictions regarding aircraft type (http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=227&topic_id=1706&mesg_id=)). Full details of this open house / training will be posted as they are finalized.We look forward to meeting you all.Best Regards,

Small caveat: of course everyone can fly during the race but we'd prefer to have trained people we know we can rely on and we know can do what they are setting out to do.

Guest sfoofficer

As promised, the Pilot Open House/Recruitment commences today. WHENThe first session shall begin at 0200 Zulu, and is expected to last for approximately 3 hours. It is our intention to try our best to accomodate as many personal schedules as possible by vary the session time over the next few days - further timeframes shall be posted for the week as they become avaiable, and may include a variety of team pilots. I will be hosting another session tomorrow at 2300 Zulu. WHERELet's all meet on MSFS's multiplayer. Type in bushflying.org for the address and join the session. There may be several players ingame, but look specifically for 'sfofficer', my callsign. The starting airport will be KSFO (San Francisco Int'l).WHATLet's just have some fun on this one. We'll probably just take it down south for a little scenic flight towards KNLC (NAS LeMoore). There are a couple of smaller strips enroute, so if you're looking for a challenge, we can peel off and shoot some approaches. From there, it's fair game. We can head into the Sierra's for a little mountain flying, or just continue on towards Southern California. This would also be a great opportunity for people who are new to the multiplayer feature of MSFS to get the digs for that facet of the sim.Please note that it is required that you sticking to the race's restrictions of aircraft; piston powered aircraft or turboprop planes of two engines or less. No experimental jobs are allowed - it must've been a full production model, of which a minimum number of frames had been made (I don't recall the exact number, but figure 25 at the very least). I will be flying a jet only because I will need the extra speed to play catch up with the various pilots and their mounts of choice.I look forward to meeting each and every one of you.BRegards,

Hey, guysI know I threw my hat in the ring in the "Show of Hands" thread, but the latest announcement that all race participants should be ready to fly at the flag drop on 19 Feb, for three hours, will probably force me out. I already have a commitment that will tie me up for most of that day, so I wouldn't be able to participate until that evening at the earliest.I will try to get in on some of the practice sessions, starting tonight for a couple of hours, but can't promise much more than that. If I can't participate, I will at least cheer everyone on from the sidelines.Go AVSIM!Regards,CraigP.S. I will try to connect per the invitation, but am not too familiar with "teamspeak." Can someone point me to the requirements?

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

I don't think everyone that wants to participate in the race have to fly when the flag is dropped, may be that the teams get extra points for the number of people participating in that first flight.And for teamspeak, it's a voice communication program. All you need is a microphone and the program, which you can download from http://www.goteamspeak.com/Klas

I am interested in the race and would like to hook up for the practice phase. What is the time for the next session?Thanks

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Guest sfoofficer

An excellent 1st session! Avsim had the pleasure of meeting the likes of 'cbtaylor' and 'Buzz Bee'. Separately, these two gentlemen went on a lil' trip winging it around the Sierras, from the busy City by the Bay, down to land of the fast-movers at NAS LeMoore, across the peaks to the 'below-MSL' realm of Furnace Creek, then up to the beautiful landscape of Lake Tahoe. A pleasant surprise was the strong presence of current Avsim Flight Team members. As the previous post shows, they were out in strength.Just a reminder. Tomorrow's session begins at 2300Z, this time from KPHX (Phoenix, AZ). A slight change will be that it is expected to last a couple hours rather than three - two is more than enough for the whole 'getting-to-know-you' preliminaries. A larger change is that there may be a little session of IFR flying, where we'll shoot some low-vis approaches into an airport. Details will be made available in the session.An second session shall be held commencing at 0400Z. This is a last minute follow up for a specific pilot, anyone who is interested in joining in is encouraged to do so.Lastly, for those individuals who already have gone and installed Teamspeak, the IP address for the Bushnet connection is 66.75.27.105 (bn.turbulentsky.com). We strongly encourage individuals to join us on this live voice chat server, as it allows us to talk in real time. Makes things that much more fun.See you all there.BRegards,

Hi all,I really enjoyed flying with everyone last night. It was my first online, multiplayer for any software. It didn't disappoint, and certainly adds a new element to simming (such as traffic avoidance - ;D ). I'm looking forward to the race!If I'd known there was going to be a group photo, I'd have combed my hair.Regards,CB

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Had a great time last night. If any of the Senior team members has a recommendation on aircraft, that would be great. I have nice P-38 from the library, but without all my modern bells and whisltes I might have some controlled flight into ground moments IFR. Looking forward to more practice. If you have not connected yet, don't be shy. Everyone is friendly and supportive. Teamspeak is awesome for multiplayer too. Once again, thanks!

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

For some money the FSD Cheyenne 400 is an excellent option.Fast, relatively easy to fly (for a high performance aircraft), and looks good too.Or if you're more into warbirds, the Wings Of Power P-51H or P-47M.Harder to learn to fly but great movers once you get the hang of them.** fitted them with an modern autopilot and navigation equipment for our enjoyment.Harder still to get right is the FSD Avanti. Magnificent steed, but tricky at low speeds and easy to overstress at cruise speed (so watch that throttle at all times).That's pretty much my stable at the moment, as far as race capable aircraft are involved (there are many more but they're either not allowed for the race or have too poor performance. Don't think me flying a Boeing Clipper would be appreciated for example).

Guest wt1l

Buzz-Nice to meet you last night. The P-38L by David Copley is a good freeware choice for the race. Fast, stable, rugged. Sounds like you may already have that one. Let's get up to "race speed" tonight, and practice some instrument approaches in bad weather.Take care,Chris

Guest Manolito

i read this thread too late...and unfortunately i cannot go multi with fs9 because of an unknown problem with my system (absolutely reliable message-less CTD)...still i hope that plenty of "official" practice in the practice-threads shows those that are concerned that there is sufficient experience for the race...i don't know any other way how to communicate that i am able, willing and reliable -and that i can be relied upon to tell in due time if i'm neither -for whatever reasons;-)

Guest sfoofficer

Another day of Phase 1. This time, it was 'Vicious' and 'Witor', two fine individuals who lead the way on a short but sweet KPHX-KGCN run. A trio of Avantis leapt off the asphalt at 2320Z and streaked for the destination airpoirt on the other side of the state. Both gentlemen did very well, navigating their way to and landing at Grand Caynon Mun with minimal problems. Again, short but sweet.The 0400Z follow up with 'Buzz Bee' was an entirely different beast. Paint this picture - mountainess terrain intermingled with broken cumulus, night, and an 8,500 ft restriction. No worries for 'Buzz' and his P-38. The man cut through the darkness effortlessly as he, I, and Lucas shot from SETM to SEMA, using the TERRAIN feature in our GPS's as well as the good ol' 'Mk' I eyeball to avoid plastering ourselves against any of the assorted hunks of 'airplane'killin-rock' out there. In Leg 2, the challenge lay in the landing at SEGZ's Rwy 33, where some genius decided to place a runway at a 2,000-odd ft elevation, surrounded by close-in 3,000-4,000 ft hills at either end. But once again for 'Buzz', no worries.---------------------------------A follow up session for a player has been schduled for 2300Z. In fairness to any desiring simmers out there who have not been able to join in due to time constraints (and my apologies to you all), I will be hosting various sessions on Wednesday, Februrary 15 at 1600Z and 1800Z. That should open up opportunities for those well on the other side of the globe. Details for where we shall go and what we shall do will be announced in session.Hope to see more of you there.BRegards,