Sign in to follow this  
Gazer75

Practice thread #9

with the current Duenna, keep pressure altitude selected at all times and keep that under 8500 (so do NOT reset the altimeter to 1013HPa).Also keep your set altitude on the autopilot to somewhere below 8500 just in case, 8200ft should provide enough margin (I found 8300 to be too narrow a margin on testing yesterday when I ended up at 8549 for a few seconds during a weather change).

Guest Manolito

hallo jozef...with a DC-3??? i had the impression that it's speed that counts here...or will there be legs that have to be flown with a certain type of plane?best regards,manfredp.s. don't think that i don't believe you but: so far i've not seen ANY mention of this 8500ft-rule on the homepage of the RTW-race...where did you see that? WHO says so?...am i blind?so far i've been adhering this new rule even though i find it increasingly questionable because it does confine the flying...it's certainly not in the general rules. so it must be some kind of special rule applying to special routes? i wish there would be more clarity about the modus operandi WITHIN the team during the race!

Guest Jozef_K

"so do NOT reset the altimeter to 1013HPa"Jeroen, I think you should set the barometric pressure on the altitude gauge to 1013 or 29.92 irrespectively the real barometric pressure. And then do not reset it during flight (don't press 'b').Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Guest Manolito

NO...i haven't read this...good of you to enlighten me there...you see there is so much to read and i don't read everything.i think they should've put this info also on the RTW-race-pages!

Guest deleteriousone

Have baton and giving this Avanti another try TNCA to MDSD

That would definately NOT be the way to do it in real life: Below 18000 you use the actual pressure, above that 2992. You do need to have it right on approach at least.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Hi ManfredLast year each team had to fly a leg with each of the classics - well, most of the classics anyway. I know Jeroen flew the Vickers Vimy and at least one other - was it the Piper Cub?BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest Manolito

i flew the MAAM-DC-3 in the "DC-3 World Rally" and found her very nice to handle -easier to fly than the default one!...as for the Piper Cub, she's really not my cup of tea...just like the P-51 she's quite a handful to handle when landing and i just hate them veering off to the side or standing on their head when you apply the brakes at the wrong time...

Guest Jozef_K

Sven, I agree about setting the barometric pressure in real life, although that 18,000' doesn't count for most European countries.But I am referring to the race rules: max. density altitude 8,500', "that is, with the altimeter set at 1013mb/29.92in HG," (MM). When you don't set the pressure to the standard value at takeoff, you may find yourself above the 8,500'limit when you adjust the pressure readout when on cruising altitude just below 8,500'.Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Guest Manolito

does anyone know how to adjust the barometric pressure on dcc's p-38? or is 29.92 the default pressure at the beginning of each flight and all i have to do is keep my hands off the "B"?

Guest Manolito

baton free at MTPPweather pushed me a wee bit over the 8500 -21 feet to be exact...i hope this leg still counts