Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Some thoughts and ideas about Sunday's race - you might want to read

I think Bobby Labonte is going to put Richard Petty's #43 back in victory lane for the first in almost 20 years.//---------------------------------------------------------------------------Re that other minor event which starts Sunday about the same time - 1700 UTC.I've been told I can let you know some things I've learned about the RTW Race - subject to last minute changes of the organizer's minds.(1) The argument that there are many DC-3's flying with updated avionics has been won. You can replace the DC-3 panel with modern avionics. Personally I enjoy the panel by Norm Hancock available at http://www.dc3airways.com/panels_fs2004.html Another excellent source is http://douglasdc3.com/fs2004/fs2004.htm WARNING - Always make a backup of the default panel, and if you are not familiar with adding panels and do not have time to test before Sunday - use the default panel.(2) svenks (Sven Sorensen) on Avsim wins the "Best Guess" prize this year - supplying Berlin with an airlift is going to be the kickoff - but there will be some additional conditions & requirements like start airports, types and number of flights, etc. People who cannot fly on multiplayer with a lot of other people present will be able to fly this event off-line and post their Duenna verifications.(3) Flying in the Alps at low altitude will be a part of the race near the end. There will be bonus hours for using higher resolution 76M mesh. Those such as FSGenesis, FSGlobal, RealScene and many payware and freeware mesh's will be acceptable. If you have a question about a specific mesh - ask.Two of the excellent freeware mesh's available are:Yohann Baptiste's - eur_srtm_07.zip on Avsim (52MB) eur_srtm_01.zip on Avsim is a very good companion - also 52MB in sizeHolger Sandmann's - available on FlightSim and Avsim - alpsw_fe.zip, alpse_fe.zip and alsp_up1.zip (127mb total download size)For dial-up folks - the single 52MB download of Yohann mesh is sufficient to meet the requirement.This 76M mesh is optional, but will add bonus hours. It will not be needed before Tuesday, Feb 21. Should you have concerns about downloading such a large file - remember other team members might be able to full the requirement and dial-up folks could do spotting and provide additional assistance.(4) Speaking of low altitude - be ready to fly any flights starting in the eastern hemisphere at a Pressure Altitude of 8,500 ft or lower. That is the altimeter needs to be set at 2992 / 1013.Duenna will record your PAR. If you go over 8,500 ft - you get a flashing yellow warning, if you violated the restriction for two consecutive minutes - you get a solid yellow warning, and the flight is invalidated with a red flag the next time you are above 8,500 ft PAR.Note the PAR altitude of 8,500 ft may be above or below the real altitude - your altimeter is the judge. Most folks should modify some of their aircraft panels to have an altimeter you can be certain you can set to 2992. The default King Air 350 altimeter is on everyone's computer and easy to substitute.Now to answer the obvious question - what are the boundaries of the "Eastern" and "Western" hemispheres? The position of the takeoff airport - if the longitude is E - the 8,500 foot limit applies, if the longitude is W - fly as high as FS will work.----- Don't bet the farm on these because something can always change - but I'm sure the final rules will be very close.AGAIN - backup and test....the absolute worst time to try a new mesh, scenery or panel is during an official baton flight.Finally - GO BOBBY AND KYLE !!!!!!

Hi Reggie,Best Guess prize, eh? :-wave Actually, I got thrown off my guess a bit when I checked the Year of the Berlin Airlift. My original guess had to do with 1946 - 2006. Still, massed DC-3's pointed in that direction!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH