Sign in to follow this  
svenks

Down to modem connection :(

Hi all,My primary ISP is having problems it seems, so I'm down to modem speed UFN. And trying to browse the Practice thread is close to impossible due to the amount of data. So Please (not because of me, but others may have/get the same problem): Do not post screen shots in the main Racing Thread. Alternatively: Uncheck the 'Imbed URL attachment' checkbox - then people can still see there is a picture, but are not forced to download it on a sloppy modem :(Thanks,Sven Sorensen, EKCH

Hi Sven (and all),This predicament suggests that we have a team tactic for posting. You implicitly suggest (as did Jeroen earlier) that we have separate threads.(1) Racing Threads. Short, sequentially numbered as in the past. (How badly do the Duenna jpg files test a phone modem? If this is serious, then we ought to have those attached but not explicitly integrated into the posting.)(2) PIREP Threads. Here we post screenshots and short descriptions of the action. Remember, we want to inform our teammates and our fellow AVSIM compadres. (A few of whom may not take the week off of work.) In the last year, as we've turned to multiplayer, the Race presence on the web has diminished. And so has the fun for the overall community.Thoughts? Suggestions?Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hi Mike, and allWell, I'm still struggling and TDC has no time horizon for the repair. That sucks!As the Duenne is fairly simple, lets keep that imbedded. I for one find it nice to be able to the the route and validity at a glance.But let's keep the threads below 80 posts - above that, the next pilot will have landed, before the modem challenged (that's me!) can post the Grab message :)But above all, let's keep the forum alive with pictures, stories, lies, bragging... :)BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

good suggestions both.I've also activated on my server (which is linked from the team forums) a wiki people can use to post narrative if they want to.We would also like an official ruling on what to do when it becomes impossible to post Duenna logs and pictures due to forums being down.We have backup forums (2 of them in fact) but neither allows attachments (these can and will of course be saved for later).In previous years we've also experienced sometimes very long delays when trying to post something. Pressing a link to post a baton free message for example could take 5 minutes or more until the edit window came up, then another 5 minutes from the moment you click submit and the time the message appears.That could potentially cause a 30 minute penalty due to forum lag.That's why I propose the Duenna logged time be used to judge leg duration instead of forum post timestamps, those being used only to judge whether legs were started only after the previous leg ended.

Jeroen,Good idea for the Duenna log time. Two minor problems...not sure about how to evaluate the merits.1. The 2-hour limit is to keep someone from grabbing the baton and going away for a while. (Not a huge problem in the modern Race--it was at the beginning. Further, we now allow teams to declare a pilot as "Lost" after two hours.)2. The Wingman Rule intentionally says that the flight leg is timed from the Lead Pilot's departure. But we could always use the Forum time to score the timing on those flights completed by the Wingman.Thoughts, anyone?MikePS. In years past, we have shared "forum" resources with the guys at FlightSim.com. (Both ways.) I hope we can continue to do this for emergencies.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Set a limit between the baton pickup time reported by Duenna and the forum timestamp.Should cure both.