Sign in to follow this  
MM

Berlin Airlift Today at 1700Z

Just a reminder that the Berlin Airlift Kickoff event starts at 1700Z today.If everyone can fly two successful legs, we need 12 pilots. If a few can only do one leg, then we need more pilots. If we fall short, then we shall be unlikely to gain the full bonus. And might be starting the Race two or three hours behind the competition. So please sign up either here or in the Planning Forum.Everyone can fly at once--there are no restrictions. The more pilots that can give even one leg, the more likely that we shall meet the requirements and gain full bonuses. So let's get the race started with a tremendous success.Who can make it at 1700Z on Sunday?Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'll be there, assuming I don't sleep through multiple alarms and a phone call 2 hours before the event starts.... :(

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

should be there, though my engineers are still performing maintenance on an engine that's overrevving a bit.

Guest Manolito

i'll be ready at 17:00Z (or 18:00 MET -which is the time we have here in germany)one question: if i understood those rules correctly i can choose a leg and then fly this leg for 3 hours as often as possible...e.g. i'll start from Wunstorf to Berlin (EDDI) and bring in the "coal", then i'll do a restart and do another flight from Wunstorf until three hours are gone...or do i have to fly all three airports one after the other? i'm really not sure what would be the best tactique...any good ideas?best regards,manfred

Manfred has a very good point here! We may want to have a group that takes the long leg from EDDF, and another, smaller one just doing the 2 others as often as they can. I don't think 3 hours is enough to do all 3!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCHPS: Manfred, please check the private forum - we may want to discuss it there!

Right, Sven.We do need to coordinate as well. It is critical that we know who is going to be there so that we can plan the allocation of pilots.Note that the EDDF-EDDI route allows for no margin of error: the time is just about 1:25 in still air. So a pilot can make 2 flights on that route. Alternatively, if we are working well together, we might put more pilots onto a combination of the long route and a short route. But that takes organization...

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

7 pilots so far. This is the plan:Stone: 3x from EDHLHarvey: 1x from EDDF, 1x from ETNWJozef: 1x from EDDF, 1x from ETNWManolito: 1x from EDDF, 1x from ETNWVeloskey: 3x from EDHLSven: 1x from EDDF, 1x from ETNWMe: 1x from EDDF, 1x from ETNWNext person to show up, 1x from EDDF, 1x from EDHL.After that, split it up like this to get the maximum number of bonus combinations flownThis chosen so the people flying from EDHL (which is the shortest leg) have the time to do that one 3 times (which should be possible).The others have a bit more time in their schedule to fly 2 legs from 2 different airports.Remember it's the end result that counts, not the order in which flights arrive in Berlin!If needed this will be ammended, some more people have signed up through the private forums.I'll coordinate as needed.

Guest Jozef_K

"But that takes organization..."Right! I propose that one of the veterans takes care of the organisation once we know who is going to participate in the airlift to Berlin.As we only can earn bonuses for each completed combination of the three airfields to Berlin, the coordinator should assign the flights from the different airports to the pilots on duty.Just a suggestion, not more than that.EDIT: Jeroen's post was not there when I wrote mine!Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Guest Manolito

that's okay with me...just hope the weather plays it cool...right now i'm flying from ETNW to EDDI and i've got me some nice tailwind so it's quite easy to stay under one hour from ETNW...the way i see it we must get complete sets otherwise no bonus (or to put it harder: the flight is for nothing if it's not part of a set) so i guess we have to keep a very sharp eye on what we got and what we need to get FULL sets...

I will be available during most of the time, I will have to go and eat dinner sometime during the airlift, but I will be able to fly a flight before and one after dinner.I'm trying out the EDHL-EDDI route now, should be able to do that in under one hour (FS flightplanner says 1:19 hours, but it also says I will be flying at 95 knots GS }()Klas

Guest Manolito

one small detail i'd like cleared:during the airlift we have to have "Carrying the official baton" checked in the duenna or not? i don't know if this has any importance...apart from that: are there any other important race specific setups during the "actual" race?just did a leg with R86Beta duenna ETNW - EDDI and it seems to work fine.to anyone who's interested i put the validation files of that flight here

Jeroen (and all),Please take a look at the "Berlin Airlift Organization" post below.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1