Sign in to follow this  

Impressions about the Flight1 Meridian

Thanks Jean-Luc,Man what a ride it has been!Here are a few tips than can be tried. We have been pooling these together and we will be adding more as we can collect them:***AI Traffic***The AI Traffic is very hard on frame rates. We recommend you change your setting to 30% or less.***Display Settings***Options | Settings | Display | Hardware - Change from 16 bit to of 32 bit display in Full Screen Display Resolution.Select Bi-linear filteringDirect3D options for the latest Nvidia Drivers:Right click your desktop - properties - settings - advancedChange the Vertical Sync to Always OFF and the "render no more than xx frames ahead", setting to 1.Flight Simulator Settings: - Terrain Detail Textures: OFF- Dawn/Dusk smoothing: OFF- Ground scenery cast shadows: OFF- Autogen / Scenery: NORMAL- Texture Quality: LOW- Terrain Texture Size: MEDIUM Mip Mapping will lower the Video Card RAM load because it requires less texture data to be loaded in memory. ***Other***If you are using the FSUIPC module located in your Menu | Modules Make sure that you do not have the "No GPS reposition on plan load" selection checked

Jim,I understand and appreciate all of your suggestions except the following. Why is this one important? Does it affect frame rates or something to do with the GPS? Just curious more than anything.David >>***Other*** >If you are using the FSUIPC module located in your Menu | >Modules Make sure that you do not have the "No GPS >reposition on plan load" selection checked

Guest Franken

Thanks for the tips JeanLuc - I'll try to tweak some more. The difficult choice for me now is having to choose between great looking scenery (which I have gotten very well used to by now after a lot of tweaking) and a choppy ride vs. bad looking scenery, by lowering the details, and a smooth ride.. I realise that I can't have it both ways so I just don't know. Blurries and general crappy looking scenery makes me want to :-erks.

>$15 = Maybe >$30 = Definatly NOT Why is that? Do you have any idea how much work F1/RXP put into making this plane? It operates nearly exactly like the real one for cryin out loud! That's obviously worth something. The real plane's base price is over $1.5 million and $30 is too much for a very high fidelity simulator?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Gents,I had a typo above.It should read:***Display Settings***Options | Settings | Display | Hardware - Change from 32 bit to a 16 bit display in Full Screen Display Resolution.Sorry, I think I am passing myself...Best,Jim Rhoads

Hi Ryan,Interesting comments!I have another thread going on this forum regarding the use of FS for real world instrument rating training. Some of the responders who have used FS are are now IR rated stated that the lack of smoothness in the gauges was a problem with FS in this regard. Do you, or does anyone, think that this may be solved in this particular product?To extend the question- I anticipate doing my IR in a C172SP. is the basic T the same in the Meridian (I'm not sure if it has a FD, or just a HI like a C172). One area of disparity is obvious in the GPS used, the C172's have a Honeywell KLN94. I wish that we could get a working simulation of this type of GPS, since Cessna are fitting all new R's and SP's with them.Thanks,Bruce.

Guest ha5mvo

"Why is that?"look a couple of posts below:"Flight Simulator Settings: - Terrain Detail Textures: OFF- Dawn/Dusk smoothing: OFF- Ground scenery cast shadows: OFF- Autogen / Scenery: NORMAL- Texture Quality: LOW- Terrain Texture Size: MEDIUM"I suppose some won't mind changing all FS settings and pulling all sliders to the left for the sake of a single add-on, but this is a no-go for meI rekon it's -Meridian: OFF for me

>That's obviously worth >something. I agree but we have to recognize there are different users of the flight simulator out there. Many just fly 'for' scenery, care less about the aircraft fidelity, if they purchase something it is usaully driven by eye-candy factor and low price. They tend to collect many inexpensive add-ons, download many freeware products, etc.. For them the Meridian has no justification - it may even be a headache with its built-in complexity. And for some of us it is 'all' about the aircraft, how it flies, etc. I personally think that the scenery quality is still years away from satisfying my craving for realism so I don't mind turning some options down - I don't think I am loosing that much anyway. So for me it is about the aircraft realism that I can enjoy right now versus scenery realism that is not even on the horizon ...Michael J.

These are suggestions for anyone having trouble. It isnt mandatory.Why is that?The Meridian is a very complex piece of machinery, There is no way to know if a persons system is tuned, clean or running 50 things on the task bar. if properly configured, we have had guys on 1 Gig machines using it without problems and satisfactory results.On other systems, I guess its a matter of if you want to look at scenery or immerse yourself in sate of the art, highly realistic avionics. Opinions vary. However, thank you for your opinion, thats what makes the world go round...Regards,Jim Rhoads

>>"Why is that?" >>look a couple of posts below: >>"Flight Simulator Settings: >- Terrain Detail Textures: OFF >- Dawn/Dusk smoothing: OFF >- Ground scenery cast shadows: OFF >- Autogen / Scenery: NORMAL >- Texture Quality: LOW >- Terrain Texture Size: MEDIUM" >>>I suppose some won't mind changing all FS settings and >pulling all sliders to the left for the sake of a single >add-on, but this is a no-go for me >>I rekon it's -Meridian: OFF >for me Well as I said last night, the aircraft is more than flyable with all my detail settings still at their usual high levels. I don't know why some people are having framerate issues - it's a bit (3-5 or so FPS) slower than a "normal" FS plane for me, but this is no normal plane...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi,I responded earlier when it first came out about bad framerates but I wasn't going to be defeated, I love this plane and the great job the developers did so I was happy to hand over my $30 even if it meant having to do away with many things.I have improved frame rates greatly w/o affecting scenery. By taking out all gauges from the v/c and the IFR and landing panel i am able to sustain 16-23 fps constant.I know some of you are saying why remove all that was it worth $30 for? Well I don't fly from the V/C so I could care less about that and I don't fly with an IFR panel, everything on the IFR is also on the VFR so why not. I also never use the landing view I can see just fine with the VFR view.I will continually tweak it and hopefully they'll come out with a fix for the refresh rate on the GARMIN530. That is what causes the stuttering which is the only downfall right now.Thanks,SeanBy the way to reduce the stutter while taxiing turn to NAV page 3 it taxis smooth as silk.

>By taking out all gauges from the v/c and the IFR and >landing panel i am able to sustain 16-23 fps constant. Sean,This is very interesting. Since I can very easily sacrifice the V/C could you post steps to accomplish exactly what you described. But I do care about all the 2D views including the IFR and the landing view.Thanks,Michael J.

Hi,To do this just open up the panel.cfg in your panel directory with notepad then put a ";" in front of each gauge that you do not want to show. I put a ; in front of all gauges in all of the V/C windows and the same for the IFR window.Hope this helps your enjoyment of the product.Sean

Strange ditto.. no framerate issues on my system (22-24 fps solid)Totally fluid.P4-2.4 with GF4-4200.Even on my Celeron 1000 it was very flyable.

Bert

Guest Franken

Thanks for the tip Sean. I have now removed the Garmin530 (for the time being) from the 2D panel and VC, and everything is a lot smoother for me. :)