Sign in to follow this  
MM

Berlin Airlift Organization

BERLIN AIRLIFT LAST MINUTE ORGANIZATION.We need to complete 24 missions, 8 each from ENTW, EDHL, and EDDF.Approximate times and distances follow. (Note that these times do not include the friction of takeoff, landing, and posting the Duenna txt file.)EDHL 130nm 46 minutes Food.ETNW 145nm 51 minutes Coal.EDDF 235nm 1 hour 22 minutes Chocolate.Pilot allocation will depend on how many pilots we have and the possibility of mishaps.It might be best to start with 4 experienced DC-3 pilots on the longer EDDF run. Then add one to EDHL and then one to ETNW, one to EDHL and one to ETNW until we get 4 each. With 12 pilots, we can do 2 missions each and gain the maximum bonus. With fewer, we'll have to scramble on the shorter routes, with some guys having to fly 3 missions each. (That is quick turnaround!)If we have any margin of safety, meaning more than 12 pilots, we can think about shifting guys around after the EDHL-ETNW guys look to have their 16 flights under control. (The EDDF flights are so tight on time that we may need to allocate another pilot there if we have any possibility of a mishap.)Note that we can fly BEYOND the 3 hours. This will be a strategic decision depending on what we have achieved. (For eample, if we have 6 flights in the air after the deadline we might well wait for those to land to gain the extra credits.) If we choose to do this, then the RTW portion of the race will have to be delayed. Waiting 20 minutes for flight completions might be worth the time credits...we'll have to calculate.After we finish the correct 24 missions, we can all have a virtual beer together! Except the first Lead Pilot and Wingman who will prepare to depart on the first RTW flight. Everyone with any sense should then go away and rest. (Talk to your spouse, girlfriend, children, dog, etc. Build up credit.) OPERATIONAL DETAILS.Let's run 3 threads, one from each airport (ENTW, EDHL, and the longer EDDF). That way, we can keep track of the progress on each of the 3 fronts. (Remember, we have to get 8 missions from each departure airfield.)The takeoff posting should say "jwenting departing from EDDF" (for example). The landing posting should say "jwenting EDDF-EDDI completed with Chocolate". (Substitute your handle, departure airport, and cargo, of course.)Unless otherwise directed, return immediately to your original airport and go again. (Alt-World|Airport: pick the best runway. Go through your checklist: you have just landed so check your flaps, GPS & Flightplan reloaded, Autopilot is off, etc.)Multiplayer is NOT required here. We have two multiplayer servers, Bushnet (which is working today) and Gazer's (whose address is available only on the private forum

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Jozef_K

"Except the first Lead Pilot and Wingman who will prepare to depart on the first RTW flight."When I have read the rules well, the first baton leg can be started at 2000Z. We should not lose any time and go at 2000Z sharp to our first destination in the route planning (on the private forum).Who is flying this first leg (and who is wingman, when possible)?Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Jozef,We leave at 2000Z. Unless we want to delay and wait for any flights in the air. If we have 12 pilots, then no problem. But if we have fewer, we'll have to make decisions at the moment.Traditionally, Jeroen has taken the first flight. Any volunteers for the honor of first Wingman?Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Are you sure about flights being allowed to continue past 2000Z for the bonus?That's not how I read the rules, they explicitly state that the bonus is calculated over flights that have been completed by 2000Z.See the private forum (and the other thread here) for route assignments.

Yes on the rules.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest thespazzz

I'm ready to fly except for one thing.Im something of a noobish pilot and I have absolutely NO TIME in the DC3. I know it has no autopilot... How hard is it to hand fly? I'm so embarrased to admit it but I'm so used to modren avionics I dunno if I could reliably fly this thing to help you guys out.Should I sit this out or what?

it has an autopilot, just only heading and altitude setting.You're welcome to fly, take one from EDLH and one from ETNW if you want to.

Jeroen, I'm 55 nm out from EDDI, ete 15+landing, have flown 60Do you want me to do another EDDF-EDDI run, or should I stick to ETNW-EDDI?pls reply ASAPSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest Manolito

has somebody counted what we got until now...and how many exactly are flying to where?