Sign in to follow this  
Datalink

FS2004-Did MS improve on blurry textures at all?

Guest sfgiants

Good question.Any beta testers out there?Tim

What, you mean the beta testers who are under a strict NDA with financial and legal penalties for inadvertent disclosure?Why not just wait and find out.ChasW

Guest PaulL01

Very doubtful, proof is in CFS3+DX9. Just take a look at some of the FS9 screen shots. :(It would be nice to see just a tweak of the FS graphics engine to allow a slider to allow some control of how the mipmaping is done. Trying to compromise between stuttering on low to mid range systems has crippled the terrain graphics.

Are we really going to start this again? By "this", I mean "beta testers tell me this, beta testers tell me that". We went through the same routine with FS2002.... Endless posts, nagging posts. Why don't you respect what you've already been told--beta testers are under an NDA--a legally binding, and prosecutable contract. If someone does give you a tidbit of info, I wouldn't trust 'em as far as I could throw 'em. Anyone violating an NDA is of doubtful reliability, at best...Off my soapbox...

I don't know whether to laugh or scratch my head in confusion. *:-* First you post a question that the beta testers can't legally answer, then you bump your own message.The point is no one can answer your question until the sim is released, and by that time, you or any one of thousands of regular users can give you an answer.So, are you going to bump your message until release date? :9

Guest KenG

Yes! Blurries are completely gone. They are history. FS2004 will have very crisp, sharp, almost photorealistic scenery in most parts of the world. There will be a slider that allows for adjusting the mipmapping level as well as AF. Moving them to their max will have considerable impact if not using a fast machine with a VERY good video card. However, moving the sliders to about 50% produces very nice effects. You will only see blurries if you really look and framerates are not affected much at all with a decent system.How's that?BTW, I'm not a beta tester nor have I seen any info on the upcoming version of MSFS that you haven't seen. I just had some extra time and thought I'd respond with pure speculation.

Well, considering its still in the alpha stages... :-)Personally, I'd doubt it myself, since from the press release, they didn't say anything about adjusting the scenery engine. Just my 2 cents

Alaister Kay

Even if Beta testers could say anything about FS2004 I think you would have difficulty finding any, as it say's on the front page it is still in Alpha!Aslyum.

Yes! Blurries are completely gone. They are history. FS2004 will have very crisp, sharp, almost photorealistic scenery in most parts of the world. There will be a slider that allows for adjusting the mipmapping level as well as AF. Moving them to their max will have considerable impact if not using a fast machine with a VERY good video card. However, moving the sliders to about 50% produces very nice effects. You will only see blurries if you really look and framerates are not affected much at all with a decent system.BTW, I'm not a beta tester nor have I seen any info on the upcoming version of MSFS that you haven't seen. I just had some extra time and thought I'd respond with pure speculation.Ken, actually, your comments are pretty much on target! I'm not under an NDA (Avsim's editorial policy prohibits posts from those who are), however FS team members told me essentially what you've guesed. From my personal observation they've used DX 9 to good effect.

Aslyum, from what I'm told there are some 1000 beta testers. While what we were shown at the 'press event' is indeed an Alpha version, the team is already releasing betas to them.

Yep, it's going to start all over again.In fact, didn't the "wishlists", "what Microsoft should do", and other speculation start almost a year ago?The cycle is completely predictable I'm afraid. As soon as the first hint of a new version in planning is available the speculations start.And as soon as the first indication that it might be in beta is there the demands for data from betatesters begin (and the pleas for illegal copies of beta CDs, though mainly those are elsewhere).

Guest cwright

Maury, as a long-time dynamic blurries sufferer (since CFS2), that's music to my ears! Many thanks. Best regards, Chris