Sign in to follow this  
Guest 2002cbr600f4i

FSX Racers..... Hints/Tips/Tools HERE!

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Hey gang!Ok, anyone planning to use FSX for the race (like me), post here and lets try to get a list of working aircraft/patches/tools and hint/tips for using FSX.First off the Duenna - It doesn't seem to totally work with FSX. It always reports realism + Weather as being incorrect, even if you have proper settings. Second, it always reports an overspeed at time 0.0 for me (even though I'm stopped dead when I take the baton.)To get the Duenna to work with FSX, you need to download Peter Dowdson's FSUIPC version 4.0. Just google for it.Settings-----------I seriously suggest turning autogen OFF, turn all traffic off, all other graphics settings set to whatever your machine can handle.Aircraft-----------So far I've been able to fly perfectly fine with the Shockwave "Wings of Power WW2 Fighters Special Edition" package since it's switch to FSX. The fastest aircraft in there is the P51D but it's slightly slower than the stand alone P-51H package. There are supposedly instructions available on the Shockwave site for making it work with FSX.The P38L+M packages that so many people like - I've had mixed results with this. On my setup I get the airplane and can fly it fine, but the graphics are screwed up when I switch out of 2D cockpit view to any other view. The bottoms 1/5 of the screen stays either black or shows corruption of the bottom of the panel. Also, the 2 starter gauges are incompatible with FSX. You can fix those (so you don't get the annoying warning message) by removing their entries in the panel.cfg for those aircraft.Tools----------Online flying - Most people in the race will be flying online using FSHost. According to http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/?fshostclient.html There is a new version of the FSHost client that is semi FSX compatible, but there are new versions coming out on a regular basis. Add to this whatever you guys know or find out!--Mike

Just to clarify on the the part about FSHostClient. It's not semi FSX compatible, it is designed just for FSX to enable FSX to be used on an FSHost server.And to the graphics glitches in the P-38, have you seen my response to you in the other thread?And as to how to convert the P-51H (and other aircraft), in the private forum I wrote a post about how it can be done. I can write one here about the general way to import planes into FSX if there is a call for it?Klas

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Ah, nope, I had missed seeing your reply (WAYYY too many posts to track!) Thanks for the info.What I meant is that the FSHostClient isn't 100% done and working perfectly. That's not to say we can't use it, it's just not 100% working correctly yet (according to the web page).--Mike

Guest Captain L

After seeing your screen shots from FSX I decided to switch over for the race. lol. just need to get FShost client working :)

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

I was able to get it working with Svenks' help. Run the newest version. You'll need FSUIPC 4.0 (unregistered is fine). Next, I turned on UPnP on my router (Linksys). Finally, I went into the Control Panels, Administrative Tools, Services and turned ON Universal Plug and Play service (set it to auto).That did it.

If you are going to use FSX - be careful of which airports you use for landing. Your non-FSX teammates might not have some of those airports and thus will not be able to pick up the baton.Also, there will be some airports which have different designators / ICAO codes in FSX than in FS2004 - Indonesia will be the biggest impact upon the race - we always go through Indonesia every year.But there are some in India which might come into play.There is a file in the Avsim library which list the known airport changes. fsx-fs2004_airports_comparison_v1-0.zipOne other potential issue - FSX and FS2004 have many airports at different elevations - so someone scouting for you with FS2004 might not see the same terrain and approach as you do in FSX, and vice versa.

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Yes, the scouting is one big thing. We've noticed in our online flying with 2004 + FSX users that runways are not exactly in the same spots between the 2 versions (probably due to the terrain model changes between the two versions.) So, don't expect to follow somebody down in bad weather hoping to use him as a beacon to find the runway if he's using a different version. Could make for a bad day....Likewise, because of the mesh differences, a 2004 owner might be able fly through mountainous area at low altitude without any problems, where as a FSX owner might have a hill in the way. Be prepared for such things.--Mike