Sign in to follow this  
MM

RTWR PIREPS #1

Post your PIREPS and screenshots here.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I was the wingman on this leg and 30 minutes into the flight I suffered a power failure that took out my pc. Took me 20 minutes to get powered back and online. I was very relieved that Jeroen completed the leg without difficulty. Jeff

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

I was wingman for Sven and the visibilty was really bad.. Didn't see runway till I nearly was on top of it. :) Happy racing..

spacer.png

Visibility on the field dropped to 3SM and the wind picked up form the north 25kts. Really bad crosswind for RWY 23, but with the visibility so bad, I decided late en route to fly the GPS approach for 23 due to the terrain hiding in the clouds, low ceiling and poor visibility.It really was hair raising and I was shaking as I walked from my bird into the local FBO too busy to snap some pics

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

This was a pretty smooth ride into a fairly stiff headwind. My first real leg since last year, I can assure everyone it was quite different from the individual efforts some of us have been doing over at the Outhouse. Even though I could be considered one of the veterans this year, my heart was still racing and my palms were sweaty. Nervous about the reputation of the "Ensign Killer," I committed a rookie mistake by taking off without locking the tailwheel and was all over the place rolling down the runway. Fortunately I managed to steady my nerves enough to remember to raise the gear and flaps on schedule. :D Some screenies for the leg:1) Waiting for the baton at PASV with JockHAhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185135.jpg2) The Aleutians off to port - nice to see some land after so much water...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185136.jpg3) The unique profile of the "Hose Nose"http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185137.jpg

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Not much to say about most of the flight, pretty simple flight until descent.....All I was hearing about weather at PASY was 7sm visibility and a stiff crosswind, so I prepared as best I could... Started descent too late and had to take a longer downwind than normal, then had to add a 360-degree turn on final to bleed off airspeed so I could extend my flaps.. Fighting the crosswind the whole way down, came down with a bumpy, but safe landing.. Could not get a screenshot, was too busy fighting the crosswind.... :( Not sure how to get at the printscreen function on this keyboard......

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest sfoofficer

For my first flight of this RTW, I elected to stay 'in the shadows' so to say. With Radial completing the run to UHPP, I hopped into my new trusty keep-em-company mount, the F-14A, caught up with him, and was able to provide some good ol fashion 'you're not alone' support. As always, it felt nice to serve in this capacity.What I forgot as he neared UHPP for landing was the serious speed disparity between his prop driven craft and my afterburner steed. *lol* Although not to obvious in the attached shot, I've got some serious AOA cranked in to keep altitude at such a slow speed. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185147.jpg

Great to see Radial earn his team wings under real pressure! We all held our collective breath as the baton fell on his hands alone. And he performed admirably.Then a terrific sight with EP and cbr circling to climb for their journey to Japan! Great teamwork all around.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185148.jpg

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Good but long flight. Definately pushed the max range on the P51H. Had to make sure we squeezes ever last millilitre of fuel out of each engine before switching fuel tanks.I think CB and I were trying to work out the fuel burn on that one to make sure we'd make it.. Half way through the flight I had to look up in the manual what the best glide rate for the plane would be. You know, just in case.. hehehe, there was no alternate for this run. (Air Bridge)After a small icing scare on CB's behalf we did finally make it. Took it out for an extended final due to the extreme crosswinds, but had a nice smooth final to touchdown. Rollout was a bit shaky though due to the winds.. Landed with 5% fuel left.. woohoo.. Great flight, glad we made it to Japan..Anyway, at work now, keeping track of the baton. Hopefully get a leg or two in tonight. Might post a screenshot later..Enjoy everyone..

spacer.png

I woke up early to see how we were progressing to discover that a DC3 team flight had just commenced to RJTH. I joined the team flight almost 15 minutes late. The follow-on flight to RJAW had already commenced by the time I arrived last in my DC-3. I was unable to see the runway and crashed into terrain. A poor beginning for me. Sven the baton pilot (P38) to RJAW suffered a crash into terrain on takeoff from RJAW but quickly reset and was underway again. Rob was flying wing in p51h suffered a flight controls glitch and overstressed his bird. He also reset and restarted quickly. Two thirds of the way through the leg Jock notified the team about rule 11. Both Sven and Rob had restarted in the same aircraft type and the team realized that their legs were now invalid. Jeroen who had recently joined on teamspeak set up as primary pilot and I setup as backup. We were both in Avaniti's. I was in FS9, Jeroen in FSX. Jeroen was making excellent time in the Avanti while I was in vicious headwinds at FL350 and falling behind. Suddenly Jeroen reported that he suffered a catastrophic overspeed without any warning. FSX's massive sudden wind shifts claim their first AVSIM race pilot victim. I was now primary pilot for the leg. I descended to FL280 in search of better winds but my progress was still a relatively slow 370kts ground speed. One hundred miles from RJAW I activated the approach on the GNS530. I attempted to tweak the approach waypoints and locked up the GPS and navigation mode on the autopilot. I had to switch to heading mode. My approach into RJAW was rough and I was not well aligned to the runway heading. As my speed decayed I was unable to confirm that my gear was down. I was switching between cockpit and panel views to confirm gear down. I could see harv and bry on the runway and finally aquired the rumway lights but I was too high. I put the nose down and I thought I would be able to get down OK. I botched the flare and the Avanti bounced then came back down and began to roll, but it was not longer rolling straight and the aircraft tipped over and crashed. Baton was now back at RJTH again.Jock and Sven picked up the baton and made the teams third attempt to get to RJAW.After 4 hours and 52 minutes from the start of this leg, Jock completed his fight and the team moved rapidly away leaving the simulated wreakage of a P38, a P51, and two Piaggio Avanti's.Jeff

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Sonuds like an interesting morning Jeff.. I went to bed after making Japan. I awoke 3 hours later to goto work and when I got to work I checked the forums and was shocked to see that we hadn't made it very far. I was trying to figure out what happened.. Thanks a million Jeff for keeping us all updated. Can't be on teamspeak till I get home..

spacer.png