Sign in to follow this  
buzzbee

Multiplayer FS Host Server Proposal

I propose that we use Hamachi VPN for the multi-player server for the 2009 edition of the race. Running the host on a VPN eliminates the port forwarding issues that we always fight every year.Last year we were lucky enough to have someone set up a full blown VPN for us, but that was a little tricky and required some effort on his part because of his routing set up behind his firewalls.For the last year I have been using the Log Me In Hamachi product to connect to my home servers from my office and have also been using it off and on to run my FS Host. It will give us a zero config VPN setup so that we are all flying on a Virtual Local Area Network. It does require the installation of their software.https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=enLet me know what you think.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Sounds like it is worth a try. I willing to give it a go.Jeff

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Jeff - PM'd you some information

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

My opinion is that we'd really need to do a significant amount of testing on it, to make sure everybody on the team is able to use it with total reliability and stability with minimal impact on framerates.We know the VPN arrangement we had last year was as stable as the server hosting the FSHost. I personally don't know anything about Hamachi, other than hearing the name. I don't know how reliable the software would be on my system, or any other team member's copy of the software. (Last thing we'd really need is for baton flights to crash because the Hamachi client is glitchy on some people's computers...)My vote would be to get a Hamachi-based server setup ASAP, so we can test the heck out of it and make sure we're all stable on it. We don't want to be having to fight with setting up a new VPN of the same kind as '08 in the middle of the race because Hamachi was unexpectedly unstable... :(

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

My server is up on it right now. I will send you the details.It might also be a tool to keep on hand for when we run into those port problems where Pilot A gets kicked or can't get in when Pilot B is on. Pilot B can then connect via Hamachi.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Hi guys,Yes, I'm still around :)I too have been trying out Hamachi, and it is very easy to set up and it also seems to work just fine.BUT (and that's a big one): It does pose a fairly big security problem, and everybody should be aware of that!What Hamachi does is to put everyone on the same subnet: Users, FShost everything. And being on the same subnet makes it easier for us to connect. Why? Because it bypasses the firewall! That means that if even one of us has malware on his PC, one or more of the rest of us runs a significant risk of getting it too! Of course, this will only happen with the right(/wrong!) kind of malware, and I do know that you are able to block some well-known ports on the Hamachi "server" itself - that is the least we should do. But I would feel a lot happier if one could specify what ports to open instead!That was the setup we used last year: A professional firewall as VPN server, and only the needed ports were open.Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't use Hamach, but we need to be aware of the risks, and also of the fact that we don't know everyone that will join us, and thus not their attitude to security. Perhaps we should get people wanting to join to run Spybot or something!If you want me to, I'll see if I can get the same setup as last year running at least for the race itself. I am seriously considering a new gaming PC, and if so I will be able to run the whole caboodle on my own gear (last year I had to borrow).BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Hi Sven great to see you mate . the Hamachi toll seems very easy to use and as you say this may be its downfall , easy to use = easy to abuse , I`m no IT expert so I`ll leave that for the experts :)

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

Hi Sven :)I share your concerns about hamachi, but I think you're also able to monitor the hamachi connection with a software firewall, so you should be able to control what traffic to let through. It might be a problem for users who don't know how to control their firewall though.One thing I wonder though, last time I tried using hamachi with a DirectPlay game (like FS), it didn't go very well, not at all in fact ;). The support for games have varied a lot between releases of hamachi, e.g. I was able to play Age of Empires II over hamachi with an older version, but wasn't able to later with a newer version. Does it work with FSHost? If you (Buzz) pm me the information, I can test it as well :)I've also had all kinds of connection problems where hamachi didn't help at all, especially problematic when connecting through router without UPnP and stuff like that...Hopefully hamachi can help, but Sven's VPN last year was good too, even if it was a little bit trickier to set up :)Klas

Sven - Thanks for your work last year. That was a great solution. I know you put a lot of effort into it. If you were willing to do something similar this upcoming year, that would be the superior choice.Maybe Hamachi is not the ultimate solution, but perhaps we could use it as a tool for those who end up having issues if you are unable to set up the solution that we ran last year.Just floating the idea.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Hi DC,QTE I think you're also able to monitor the hamachi connection with a software firewall UNQTETrue, for some firewalls at least. Unfortunately that would bring us right back to square 1: If one don't get it right, we all suffer...No, the ideal solution is to have filters in one place only - the VPN server.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

For my server, you can connect without Hamachi. Maybe just keep Hamachi handy for if we run into issues during practice. There have not been more than 5 on at a time so far. I use it mostly to monitor my oceanic flights via Google Earth while at work.I do have Teamspeak running as well.

Hi DC,QTE I think you're also able to monitor the hamachi connection with a software firewall UNQTETrue, for some firewalls at least. Unfortunately that would bring us right back to square 1: If one don't get it right, we all suffer...No, the ideal solution is to have filters in one place only - the VPN server.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Guest Windryder

I dont mind goin with Hamachi, however, as long as the windows firewall can be in place; and I agree the filters should be on the server side, and I also prefer my router setup to work only certain ports; I think the stability is better that way rather than using software for port control.UPnP is dangerous, or at least they said it was and then proved that it was okay to use; still, mine is off because of that security leak.VPN is great as long as someone has total access to it. I found it funny last year I was on Sven's VPN, went to browse only to find out I was on his browser (!); totally freaked me out; but that was an easy fix. I think VPN is smooth; yes it is more complicated to setup.Also I figured out on my router that if you change your computer name, the router doesnt know that; you have to redo the port settings by just adding the new name of your computer.And that malware thingy - I was slammed off my email site the other nite and lost a good 2-3 nites of browsing until I found the culprit; it is called page and/or search engine hijacking; you seriously wanna take a look at this and I will help ! We should have a thread to post virus solutions and make sure we are all clean. I plan on reinstalling both my Vista and XP next month (again for the 2nd time) to be sure.I am good to go with anything and will practice anything. We ought to have a night where we all get together and go thru routers an such, and connection issues. I am flying Falcon 4 Allied Force now online, so I have to know how to use my router.WF