Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Some queries / suggestions

Hi,I have tried the demo flights a few times and like many others am intrigued by the programme, but as yet am not convinced whether to purchase, as I havn't yet satisfied myself that it is flexible enough.Last night, it prompted me to report to Departure that I was "leaving 4000 descending 2900", however I was climbing at the time ! How closely does the programme monitor FS and base it's responses accordingly?On another issue, I think the programme would be much improved and more flexible if it was able to be less rigid on some replies. In the real world pilots often only read back key items. For example having to always read back all the Airport names etc. is not something which rolls off the tounge and requires one to use the prompter. Would it not be possible to accept responses that identified certain key words, thus enabling reduced read-backs using standard terminology - e.g "cleared departure " would suffice even if a lengthy ATC message had been received. I know this does work in some cases but not all.I know Tegwyn is keen to improve the programme further and I think some improved flexibility in read-backs, coupled with use of terminology outside of the US, would attract a wider audience.Best regards,Stuart Hyett

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

I agree totally with your suggestions.For example-on final approach it reads back a full clearance. If you don't repeat exactly as it is written-it won't recognize.I find myself on final, in minimums, trying to read verbatim the exact wording so it will recognize. Sometimes this took a few tries-miss one word and you are done for. Of course this is the worst time to be "reading" something and not focussing on flying the plane.A perhaps simple solution is that if the program hears only your call sign-or partial call sign-it acknowledges the transmission. At least give the end user the option to check that as an option. This way you could read back as much of the clearance, or parts of it, and when the program hears the correct call sign it ackowledges.A second feature I would request is an autotuning of radios. I have always found clicking radios on FS to be very difficult , tedious, and 50 times harder than in life-and the panel I fly-it requires pulling up a radio stack that covers a good portion of the panel. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I believe that the program is coded so that you can just say "tower" or "departure" and it will accept. It will also accept your current altitude as well as distance from a waypoint so you don't always have to say exactly what is in the prompter, the prompter is going to display those items from the time that the prompt was written and that doesn't update. If on a VFR flight you will be expected to maintain altitudes given by departure until clear of the traffic area, then you will be expected to climb and maintain your altitude used in the flightplan, I haven't tried asking for a different altitude when VFR. I am making the suggestion that you can verbalize your altitude request ie. so you could ask for 16,000 rather than only having the option of climbing or descending usually 4,000 feet.An option more realistic than an autotune feature is to buy another piece of hardware for radio tuning. While some of these can get rather expensive I bought about the least expensive one out there. The ACP Compact from Aerosoft, I think it was $395, or about four hours of real flight. I've gotten every cent back out of it though by being able to reach out and turn a knob to change frequencies, OBS and heading bug, hit buttons to control the autopilot, lights and transponder, and move a lever for the flaps and gear (the gear lever even looks like a little gear lever). It even has a button to bring up the radio panel so you can toggle it up, change frequency, then remove it from the screen. Once again, my reason and cost justification was so that I didn't learn bad habits from the sim ;).BTW the prompter can be toggled on and off with the "o" key. Yes, it will turn your strobes on and off each time you hit it but it also allows you to place the prompter wherever you want and then toggle it.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

"Can you reverse the gear and flaps switch on the unit?"I have thought that myself ;), the labeling would stay the same but the switch appears to be the same shape, as long as the wires in the back would allow you should be able to swap locations. It just didn't bug me enough. Had they been on opposite sides of a throttle unit, then it probably would have bugged me more.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest RichardL

I've just spent a few hours with the demo and have a couple requests or suggestions:- I know it's possible to change the text color, but what about the box's background? When flying at night the white box background really ruins your night vision. How about a black box background for night flying?- I also noticed that if pause FS2004, the VoxATC controller continues to speak. I think it does stop at some point but I have not timed it so see how long the voices continue. Is there any way to pause VoxATC at the same point as FS2004?That's it so far and not wanting to repeat what has already been suggested. The progam has definitely helped me with replying to ATC.Richard

Thanks Richard,I will pass on the suggestion for the text box color... good suggestion :).VoxATC never pauses... it just keeps on talking, I have left it for very long periods of time. Fortunately this does not mess things up in the sim or in the operation of VoxATC.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888