Sign in to follow this  
Guest kloker

Cannot hear microphone in headset

Guest kloker

Hey everyone.I have a headset with microphone. I can hear myself (in the headset) while I am speaking (into the mic), but NOT while I'm transmitting to ATC. When talking to ATC, the headphones turn off. Actually, I think it's when the transmit switch is activated. I suppose this is to reduce feedback if someone only has a microphone.It works like this with the microsoft trainer software as well. In that case, there is no transmit button; the headset never works during the speaking part of training. However, I though the very first time I used the trainer, it did not do that, and I could hear myself in the headset. Is that right? Is that the way it's designed to work?Thanks,keith

Guest United

I think it depends on your hardware set-up. I'm using a Creative Audigy. There is a pci card plug-in in the back of the computer for the microphone, called Line 1 in the XP volume software; but the Audigy also has a front faceplace plug-in which XP identifies as Line-In2/Mic2. I use the Mic2 plug in expressly because when I speak into the microphone, I hear it in the headset or external speaker. Now, I have no idea why that happens, I just know it does. I suspect you would have to have that option to induce audio feedback of your mic input. Maybe there is an XP sound setup software option that I am missing that you could use, if there is, I don't know about it.Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest kloker

Thanks, Randy. Yeah, I gotta play around with it. There's some interesting audio stuff in the thread above/below this one about separating voices. Those guys are trying to keep the ATC separate from the plane sounds. Because I'm using headphones, I miss the thumpin' subwoofer bass of takeoff rumble. My goal is to have the aircraft sounds so loud, I'll need an ANR headset to hear!I've got SB Live 5.1, which I know has some problems. Going to Audigy on the next computer, coming up soon.Keith 2W6

Guest mattriggins

>Hey everyone.>>I have a headset with microphone. I can hear myself (in the>headset) while I am speaking (into the mic), but NOT while I'm>transmitting to ATC. When talking to ATC, the headphones turn>off. Actually, I think it's when the transmit switch is>activated. I suppose this is to reduce feedback if someone>only has a microphone.>>It works like this with the microsoft trainer software as>well. In that case, there is no transmit button; the headset>never works during the speaking part of training. However, I>though the very first time I used the trainer, it did not do>that, and I could hear myself in the headset. Is that right? >Is that the way it's designed to work?>>Thanks,>>keithKeith, did you ever figure out a work around? I know it was a year ago but thought I'd ask. I use the mic to listen to my voice, so that both the pilot and copilot can talk to one another. (IE intercom) but same thing, when you key up voxatc, the mic no longer transmits into the headset until you release.While this was never an issue, I recently started recording with Fraps and found out that once you key up (ptt) voxatc, fraps loses all FS audio... still records voice (not when keyed up) but loses all FS sounds.Very strange..SB Live 24... also have internal sound but don't use it. (it's a PCI-e card that is part of the asus motherboard which I pulled out when I put in the SB card)Thanks!

>Hey everyone.>>I have a headset with microphone. I can hear myself (in the>headset) while I am speaking (into the mic), but NOT while I'm>transmitting to ATC. When talking to ATC, the headphones turn>off. Actually, I think it's when the transmit switch is>activated. I suppose this is to reduce feedback if someone>only has a microphone.>>It works like this with the microsoft trainer software as>well. In that case, there is no transmit button; the headset>never works during the speaking part of training. However, I>though the very first time I used the trainer, it did not do>that, and I could hear myself in the headset. Is that right? >Is that the way it's designed to work?>>Thanks,>>keithHi Keith, I own Midiman 1024 sound card and I have experienced the same problem. Every time I started training session, my volume slider had automatically moved to zero. I have asked Microsoft support, but without succes. So, I use my default sound card for flying and Midiman for music now. I have no idea what is the reason, may be some types of sound cards are not supported by speech recognition software. I really dont know.... RegardsJiri

Guest planter_ndb

Same thing here with Audigy-SE. Strange thing is when retransmitting a message, say after a "last aircraft say again", it's leaving the mic slider alone.

Guest stpierce

This seems to be working now with Vista 32. I can hear myself talking in the headset all the time. In windows xp, my voice was muted in the headset when I pushed the VoxAtc transmit button.