Sign in to follow this  
Guest bdg

FSNavigator; flight plan assigned alititudes; ATC doesnt care?

Guest bdg

Finally got the demo working and Im just need to understand how the flight plan and VoxAtc interact. I created a flight plan using fsnav where my cruising altitude was fl310 but VoxAtc insisted I remain at FL200. I dont remember now if I was still in the airport airspace and voxatc need me at this altitude. I just remained at fl200 until I reached BOD as per flight plan. Altough I was desending according to the flight plan when I was talking to approach the text I had to say said I was climbing to fl200 although I really was descending.I was forced to say this about 3 times when talking to ATC. I must be missing something. Apparently it seems to me that VoxATC doesnt care what altitudes your flight plan developed. What am I doing wrong if anything?RegardsBob G

Hi Bob,VoxATC will use altitudes from a default flight plan as long as the distance between the departure and arrival airport is sufficient. If these are very close you might find that you are contacting approach just as soon as being handed off by departure to center, your planned altitude might never have time to be assigned in this type of case. I am not sure about flight plans that are designed in FSNavigator then exported into FS2004. If you are on a VFR flight plan and using flight following you will not be given an assignment to your final cruising altitude, for this you are on your own. Keep in mind that in the US you are allowed to fly VFR up to but not including 18,000 feet (making 17,500 feet your last usable VFR altitude when flying westbound, 16,500 if eastbound).Hope this helps,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest bdg

Thanks much. If you have time for another question.If my cruise altitude is fl310 for and IFR plan and Im clear of airport control zones, do I still wait for ATC to allow me to climb to cruise altitude or is this something I do on my own at some point?I guess I need a book or something to help me understand what I can and cannot do on my own.Thanks ZaneBob

Hi Bob,On an IFR plan center will instruct you to continue climbing and the program usually instructs in 4,000 foot intervals until reaching your cruising altitude. If this is not happening for you let support at VoxATC know and give the specifics, which aircraft you are flying, your flight plan, whether or not you are using a SID/STAR, which version of FSUIPC you have and whether you are using default weather or an add-on weather program.Hope this helps,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888