Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ronin81

Controller suddenly stops talking

Guest Ronin81

Hi!I used VoxATC now for some flight hours and have a few questions regarding it: *Sometimes during a flight the controller suddenly stops talking in midsence - and is never heard of again :-(Did anybody encounter the same problem??? And got it solved? It's very frustrating this way...*Is it possible to change the process priority to a higher level? I used to switch the fs9.exe to 'high' to keep it from stuttering - but this is not possible with VoxATC because the engine will simply stop. Even if I put the VoxAtcServer.exe on a higher level*On a flight to EDDS (Metar: EDDS 270920Z 01012KT 1400 R07/1200N -SN BLSN VV/// M06/M08 Q1011) ATC assigned me runway 07 visual approach (!!!) - well obviously there has to be an error here...Trying to get an ILS approach I received the answer: No available at this time.All help highly appreciated ;-)Thanx Dom

Hi Dom,>*Sometimes during a flight the controller suddenly stops>talking in midsence - and is never heard of again :-(>Did anybody encounter the same problem??? And got it solved?>It's very frustrating this way...>I haven't experienced this problem but do make sure you have contacted support at VoxATC about this.>*Is it possible to change the process priority to a higher>level? I used to switch the fs9.exe to 'high' to keep it from>stuttering - but this is not possible with VoxATC because the>engine will simply stop. Even if I put the VoxAtcServer.exe on>a higher level>I don't have experience with these settings cause I haven't messed with them... it is possible that this is causing the problem above.>*On a flight to EDDS (Metar: EDDS 270920Z 01012KT 1400>R07/1200N -SN BLSN VV/// M06/M08 Q1011) ATC assigned me runway>07 visual approach (!!!) - well obviously there has to be an>error here...Trying to get an ILS approach I received the>answer: No available at this time.>Two things to try here. You have to get your request for a specific approach in during your first conversation with approach. Immediately after your first response hit the "0" to bring up options and select the runway you would like to request and follow the prompter to request it. There are times that this is even too late (I don't know why) so you can also try requesting the specific approach on your first contact. I have had good response with this last method but since it is not brought up on the prompter you have to make the request yourself. Follow the wording described in the manual for making this request.Hope this helps,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Ronin81

Hi Zane!Thanx for the quick reply.>I haven't experienced this problem but do make sure you have>contacted support at VoxATC about this.Well I guess I have to do that. A few minutes ago I gave VoxATC another try - same problem again.>I don't have experience with these settings cause I haven't>messed with them... it is possible that this is causing the>problem above.No they are definitely not the reason because I also tried without changing anything there ;-)>Two things to try here.... Okay, got to be quicker then. But anyway: doesn't VoxATC check for the minimum VFR requirements? I mean VOXAtc's ATIS itself reported "Visiblity: 0" So why assign a visual in the first place? Doesn't seem to logical to me :-(cu

Hi again Dom,Curious what other add-ons you have installed that may have added their own modules? There may be a conflict there so you might want to let support have this information as well. Also make sure you have the latest version of FSUIPC.At this point in time VoxATC does not take weather or surrounding elevation/obstructions into account. If runway 7 is the runway you want to use (just not the visual approach) ask for a full ILS runway 7, then fly the published approach. I have found there are just a few areas that VoxATC's vectoring program and runway selections just doesn't make sense and worse yet it'll seem to argue with you when you want to make your own request.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Ronin81

Hi Zane!Some detailed information about my last flight:EDDS KRH5H KRH UZ210 LIRSU UL608 BATTY UL610 LAM UL179 INLAK UL18 TOLKA.TOLK1T EDWIA/C: PMDG737-600 Addons: ActiceSky4.5; FS2Crew; FSUIPC 3.45The problem: I started climbing out via SID KRH5H transition KRH. After reaching 5000 and KRH I was prompted to contact Heidelberg Approach. Heidelberg then cleared me for 14000. With reaching 14000 I expected to get cleared for some higher FL (planned was FL390) - but nothing. I heared chattering on the radio this time, but no instructions for me.I tought maybe I could ask for a higher FL: "not available at this time". Also I should have been commanded to change to Frankfurt Center. But only silence :-(I just recall that while flying the SID I used time compression (2x). Maybe that's the problem.Guess I will try it later again...RegardsDom

Hi Dom,I have used time compression many times on VoxATC flights with no problems. I am going to give this flight a try on my computer, I don't have the same aircraft you do but will use Feelthere's PIC ERJ145 so I have the FMS programmed for the flight. One additional question; how are you generating this flight plan? Are you using the default flight planner or an outside planning programming and importing it into FS2004?Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Ronin81

Hi Zane!Thanks for your help! Hopefully we can solve this issue :-)I didn't have the time to try the flight again yet. Will have to wait another couple of hours...The flighplan was generated by FSBuild 2.1 and exported to FS2k4.I just checked the flightplan again and noticed that it still contained the first two waypoints of the SID (--> EDDS LBU KRH). Initially I deleted both but had to generate the plan again because of changing the ZFW. The second time I forgot to delete LBU and KRH. Maybe that's the problem.Dom

Hi Dom,I think the problem is in the flightplan itself. FSBuild2 leaves out some information that the default flightplanner uses and I think this is causing some problems with VoxATC. There are some other threads involving this same issue. I think if you try the same flight with a default flightplanner making the flight plan you will not have any difficulties. I looked over this particular flight plan and am scratching my head. Why do you need to fly over England to go north in Germany? Oh well, just seems a long way out of the way unless you're sightseeing... you're not planning a bombing mission now are you ;) ?Try the same flight but with the default flightplanner and report back if you still have the same difficulty.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Ronin81

Hello again!I just finished the flight from EDDS to EIDW , sorry ;-). After deleting the two waypoints contained in the SID from the flightplan everything went smooth :-)With one exception: approach. I've been faster this time with requesting runway and approach - but there was no way keeping to the ATC assigned altitudes even with using speedbreaks (FL230 at inital approach...)Is there a rule of thumb how far the last flightplan waypoint should be away from final destination in order to get proper vectoring?Dom

Aah, makes so much more sense now ;). I'll give it a shot, you probably need to start your descent at about 2,000 fpm down to 10,000, maybe more.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi Dom,I have edited a FSBuild2 flightplan to conform to FS2004 constructs. I have attached both the original FSBuild2 and the revised plan for you to try. Open these up with notepad and you will note that each of the enroute waypoints now starts with the first two letters of their respective country's ICAO characters. Mind you this gets tricky in the USA where there are four quadrants K1-4. Let me know it this doesn't work... I haven't had time to try it yet with VoxATC but will load it up in the morning.If you want to use the flightplan(s) you will have to place them into your flights folder, the default location is: C:Documents and Settings:)(your log in);)My DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesZane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Ronin81

Hi Zane!Yes I have realised this before. But up to know I never have encountered any problems with FSBuild Flighplans - although this information is missing. I don't think that either Flightsims default ATC nor VoxAtc uses it.If you open the FSBuild Flighplan with FS2004 default flightplanner and save it again, the default FP will simply add two ',' before each waypoint - without correcting the sectors.As I mentioned in the last post: I completed the EDDS-EIDW flight without any problems now (a FSBuild Flighplan).I will try it once again today ;-)Dom BTW: Great review :-)

Hi Dom,I discovered this morning that the flightplan I modified won't work. I have zipped up three files this time, a standard FSBuild2, default FS2004 flightplanner and one I attempted to modify (it still won't open :-mad , and at this point I don't see why). You can see the difference in construct... another thing that FSBuild2 should add are the airway names at the end of each waypoint when appropriate. After playing with this a little I am sure that the first two entries are where frequency information is pulled for the kneeboard (and any other program that would use this information). The third entry interestingly only is used on the first intersection of this flightplan and is the same as the departure airport identifier (might be because it is in the airport's airspace or is part of a procedure?). If you are getting a FSBuild2 flightplan to work that is a good thing, I am still puzzled as to why the initial problem and as I stated the only times I have seen reports of problems with VoxATC not transferring you from departure to center are with add-on designed flightplans. Anyway I attached the zip files below for those interested to take a look, if someone can figure out why the modified plan won't load I'd love to know why.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Another thought came to mind... When you are loading up a flight are you placing the aircraft at the departure airport you want, loading the FSBuild2 flight plan (with or without placing the aircraft on the runway), saving the complete situation (aircraft/airport/flightplan) and then opening that saved situation? If you are just placing the aircraft at an airport and opening a flightplan that will cause confusion with VoxATC and I found that just saving the situation after setting it up was not enough and that by opening the newly saved situation no problems. Although I don't use the generated flightplans from FSBuild2 I am going to to verify whether or not VoxATC will use it with or without difficulties and will report what I find.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I stand corrected... I just made a flight with a FSBuild2 flightplan and had no problems whatsoever. Talking with the folks at FSBuild their format allows the flightplans to be used in FS2002 and FS2004, the format I have been quoting in this thread has been a FS2004 only format. I think the problem might be in users not correctly saving and then loading the new flight with the saved flightplan before enabling VoxATC. I still miss the navaid frequency and airway information that the FSBuild2 flightplan doesn't include on the kneeboard so I personally will continue making my plans using the default planner.Have fun flying,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888