Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTWhite

Keeen-gair and Xray

Guest JTWhite

Has anyone noticed the program pronounces King Air as keeen-gair and instead of saying "X-ray" it says "X Are A Why" (that's my crude attempt at phonetic description)??(This is a "Im at work and can't try it out" question, but does the speech SDK have a lexicon editor, and will VoxATC do what it requests on pronunciations???Thanks in advance...John WhiteNewburgh, IN

Hi John,I've noticed this too, even the way "Charlie" gets pronounced by some of the voices. I haven't found a way to edit these pronunciations but then again I haven't looked too hard yet either. Try flying into Coeur d'Alene, that one is really interesting. If someone already does know how to get in and mess with this, let us all know.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Dizz

I know this is an older thread...but I'm new to VOXATC and I have the same question. Hearing "Keen-gair" and "x are why" kill the moment. Thanks!

The xml file for handling these words in VoxATC lists all the alphabetical characters with their respective names. voxgram.xml handles the alphabetical character sets associating them with their respective names. In that file x-ray is listed as "xray" and I am of the opinion that SAPI 5 might not be recognizing that as a word, I might try putting the hyphen in and seeing if that fixes it. AircraftDesignation.xml is where that King Air name is and it is listed as "kingair" therefore making the SAPI5 pronounce it funny, don't know if adding the space or a hyphen would change that but worth a try. Another one I have come across is REGL being given as alphabetical characters rather than being pronounced regional. Some of the airport names may list this in all caps so VoxATC will think it is a fix rather than an abbreviation and thus pronounce it the way it does. That last one is found in the NameProcessor.xml file and I might add "REGL" in addition to the "regl" which is already there. Anyone else that might have already tried this and can report or if Tegwyn reads this and sees the folly of my ways can say don't do it.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I can report that adding the dash to king-air did fix the pronunciation. I listened for a call sign with x-ray but don't recall hearing one. That said I also didn't notice the annoying X R A Y that I normally hear on every flight. The addition of a capitalized REGL did not make a difference and that may have something to do with a specific name or where the program is reading it from. I also changed a couple of airline names so I would hear "Alaska" and "Horizon" which is more in keeping with where I fly.Backup your original files before futzing with them and use a xml editor to make changes and good luck.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Dizz

Thanks Zfehr! I'll give it a go.

I would love to fix the xray problem. I opened voxgram with a HTML editor and have a file with 386 lines. However, I don't see XRAY listed. I am a HTML newbie and any help would be appreciated. It is great tosee some activity on this form. Thanks. Bruce

Hi Bruce,You need to use a xml editor (MS has one and there are others you can download, most are free) to edit these files. I did discover that the x-ray fix doesn't do the trick although the King-Air did work. I might try "ex-ray" next... possibly the file I am accessing to make this change is not correct, Paul or Tegwyn might chime in on this one and offer any suggestions if they happen to read the post.PS. Make a backup copy of any file you try to modify for safekeeping, even if you know what your doing editing these files you can still screw them up!

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

ZaneAdding the dash to kingair does fix the "keeeen-gair" issue. How ever the xray issue still remains. I tried your suggestion of changing xray to ex-ray but no joy. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this issue please chip in. Thanks. Bruce

Guest Dizz

OK...I think I've found the solution to the mis-pronunciations. I can confirm this works for the Deluxe version with ATT voices. It will probably work for other voices as well, you'll just have to try it.After examining the dll, dat, & xml files I got a better understanding just how VoxATC puts things together. I concluded that VoxATC may not be the only problem with the keen-gair, X-ray and R-E-G-L problems. I have both the Mike and Crystal voices speaking perfectly now by adding the appropriate problem words to the en_us.dict file in the ATTNaturalVoices/TTS1.4/Desktop/data/en_us subdirectory. Make a back-up copy of the file before you start making changes just in case something goes wrong.Open the en_us.dict file by double clicking. Expand the en_us.dict listing and see all the current words appearing in your ATT dictionary. To correct the X-ray, Regional or any other problem word, simply add it to your dictionary. In some cases you will need to add several versions along with the correct Ponemes. For example, I found that the word Regional is abreviated at least four ways in VoxATC...Rgl, Reg'l, Reg, and Rego. Add all these into the dictionary with the proper "regional" Ponemes. I also included xray, x ray, and x-ray versions. Use the help section to learn how to create the Phonemes. If anyone would like my en_us.dict file to try and confirm this workaround fix, just PM me and I'll be happy to send it via e-mail.--Dizz

Thanks for the info. Using the editor built into the ATT Natural Voices program made it very easy to add words and customize the pronunciation. Bruce:-)