Sign in to follow this  
Guest FALC

Slow voice with ATT Mike

Guest FALC

Im sure I saw this topic discussed here but darned if I can find itnow, so I'll ask it again, sorry...VOX with MS Mike is of course rinky-dink sounding, but at leastits useable.I DL'd and installed ATT Mike & Crystal and although the quality isindeed vastly improved, Im getting loooong pregnant pauses in thespeech. In other words with MS Mike its something like;Air Canada 646 climb... and maintain 5000 turn right... heading 230But with ATT Mike its more like;Air Canada 646 climb.......... and maintain 5000........... turn right.......... heading........ 230Any help or suggestions appreciated.ThanksJim

Hi Jim,My first thoughts are how much RAM do you have on your computer? If only 512 or less you might want to add another stick. I am assuming you didn't change any settings in VoxATC, just added the ATT voice. You might also try accelerating the voice a little more in the VoxATC menu but I think your running into resource issues and therefore getting the stutter. You might also be running AI traffic and if you turn this down or off it might improve the situation. Lastly weather can also pull down the performance, are you running default or an addon weather generator? If using ASV I suggest following their instructions for converting the cloud textures for mipmapping and using the DXT texture set as this will greatly improve performance with ASV.Hope this helps.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi Jim (BOSS!)... check your in box Sir. You will see I basicly suggested the same things as Zane.Hello Zane... nice review by the way. I thought it was very honest and unbiased. Also, thank you for helping bring voxATC to my PC.As a side note, I have asked Paul if I could help him beta test version 3. He said he would consider it and let me know when it is ready. Like you, I see great potential in this program.Later Guys!Murray

Guest FALC

Zane, Murray,Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've tried 'em all ( well, notanother stick or memory yet ) and a few of my own. Ive comeclose but no cigar. But I'm a stubborn old coot :-) so Im going to keep messing with it.Jim

Guest FALC

Well wha-da-ya-know :-) After a bit of messing around I got itworking acceptably. Still a bit of pausing but as I say acceptable.One thing I think I found is ATT Mike doesnt seem to be too fondof flight plans made up while MS Mike was the active engine. I madeup a new flight plan with ATT Mike the active engine and it performsmuch better. I may be nuts but that seems to be one of the things Ifound.Just as an aside ( if your lookin' Paul ;-) ). One thing I'd kindalike to see is an option to have the 1st officer handle at leastthe frequency changes (a-la Radar Contact), not necessarily voicecontact but at least change the freq for me. Flippin' back and forthfrequently In a GA aircraft isnt bad cause your at slow speed anyway.But in a heavier aircraft such as PMDG or LDS where your busy anywaytrying to hand fly the approach ... Boooooo to autoland :-) :-)...Flippin freqs and trying to talk to ATC as well as land can get alittle tedious, time consuming and confusing sometimes.And maybe we could try to get some real world ATC as "chatter"Mike and Crystal are ok but.......... ;-)Its a great program though, lots of potential..Jim

Hi Jim:Just so you know, voxATC uses only one voice. The default voice you choose under Control Panel/Speech. It manipulates that voice to make it sound as if there are more than one. MurrayEDIT:Sorry Jim... I just read your post again and now I understand what you meant. That is an interesting find. I think I will play with that myself to see if it goes anywhere.Thanks Jim!Murray