Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigshot

System Requirements

I'm looking to purchase a laptop and wanted some imput on system requirements, particularly video card options and video memory needs, that experienced users have found work great with their MSFS2002 Pro. Specifically, I am weighing options between a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 vs a 32MB NVIDIA GeForce4 Go. My desktop has 2.26 Ghz Pentium 4 with 512MB DDR SDRAM memory and 32 MB DDR SDRAM on a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX42o card, but I don't want to go all out on a laptop if I don't have to. Other considerations include the fact that I also want the laptop to view DVD videos (the 64MB might be better here) and to keep logbooks and flight planning software, and my plans to add on the IP Trainer 6.0 and OnTop 7.0 software from ASA in the next six months (if anyone out there is familiar with these). I've been away for a while but I know how terrific the AvSim forums are for helping out folks with the tech stuff! Computers are still a grey area for me, so any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks, Pam Charles

Pam,I have a Toshiba 1410 S173 1.7G Celeron and the NV Gforce4 420 Go graphics adapter and I hate to say it but it isn't very good for FS. Speed and frame rates fine but graphics just don't look very good.There is a topic either here or on Flightsim.com about this subject... try searching on "laptop" or "notebook" and that should find it.

>Pam, >>I have a Toshiba 1410 S173 1.7G Celeron and the NV Gforce4 >420 Go graphics adapter and I hate to say it but it isn't >very good for FS. Speed and frame rates fine but graphics >just don't look very good. >>There is a topic either here or on Flightsim.com about this >subject... try searching on "laptop" or "notebook" and that >should find it. Thank you, that proved very helpful as I found some posts here that specifically address both my current desktop's card, also the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 at 32mb, and the card I was thinking of, the 64mb ATI Radeon. 512 MB Ram was also recommended. I will check it out over at flightsim.com and also at SimHQ.com. Thanks again,Pam

Guest Bigshot

The Radeon RV350 will be coming out fairly soon. If you're looking for a high end laptop, you may want to check that one out.