Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stompy

Airspeed indicator is funky...

Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I recently purchased and installed MSFS 2002 Pro on my desktop and can't seem to get the Airspeed indicator to work as it should. I am a licensed private pilot flying C172's, and on final approach with full flaps and approx. 1500 RPM, the airspeed should be close to 65 knots. On FS Pro it's more like 80 or 85. Takeoff speeds don't seem realistic either. I have plenty of memory on a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 video card and I use CH Products USB Yoke and Rudder pedals. I'm not looking to be right on the numbers, but something closer to the real thing would make it more enjoyable. Otherwise, I'll just have to ignore the speeds. PS, I also couldn't stall the thing during the lessons on stalls, but that's pretty close to reality anyway.Thanks for the input!Pam Charles

Guest dogknot

Hi Pam, There is a replacement cfg and airfile available at flightsim.com library for the 172. It might be what you are looking for. filename: C172mod.zip authored by: David Anderson I use a replacement done by Ronald Fremuth, but I don't remember where I got it. If the one above doesn't fit your needs, drop me an e-mail and I'll send this one by RFremuth. bhricziscse@yahoo.com

Do you have IAS or TAS enabled for airspeed which is an option in the realism settings? I believe the default is TAS and I fly the 172 all the time and shoot the approach at 1700 rpm and 30 flaps and usally target a 70kts approach til short final where I will bring back the rpms to about 1500 and slow to 60KIAS this all with the default airfile. Hope that helps.Kilstorm

Guest aca_dia

I never use the 172, but your question peaked my interest so I gave it a try. I am a CFI and I teach frequently in 172's and I found the default MSFS2002 172 to be pretty darn close to the real thing. I was able to rotate at 55kts and trim for climb at 73kts on the button. I also had no problem on final getting trimmed out for 65kts with full flaps. As another user mentioned perhaps MSFS is set to give you true airspeed and not indicated airspeed. Other than that Im not sure what would be causing the deviation.

>I never use the 172, but your question peaked my interest so >I gave it a try. I am a CFI and I teach frequently in 172's >and I found the default MSFS2002 172 to be pretty darn close >to the real thing. I was able to rotate at 55kts and trim >for climb at 73kts on the button. I also had no problem on >final getting trimmed out for 65kts with full flaps. As >another user mentioned perhaps MSFS is set to give you true >airspeed and not indicated airspeed. Other than that Im not >sure what would be causing the deviation. I'll check out the TAS vs IAS and see what happens. Just curious, how do you have your system set up? I have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 512 MB DDR SDRAM and a 32 MB Nvidia GeForce4 MX420 on a flat screen monitor. I also have the CH Products USB Pro yoke and rudder pedals. The airspeed seems the only thing off, so maybe that's all that needs to be tweeked. I ask about your setup for another reason also. I have also posted for suggestions on system requirements for a laptop I hope to order soon to run MSFS and watch flight training DVD's on. I want to put IP trainer and On Top on it also, if I can. Some have posted to run these programs only on desktops, but sometimes the kids and the husband just won't let me on the thing, which is part of the reason for the laptop!! Just curious what you run your MSFS on. You piqued my interest as a CFI. I recently got my private pilot rating and hope to go on for the instrument and commercial in September, then on to the CFI hopefully soon after that. All I want to do is teach, not go on to the airlines, and share the joy of flying with others. Make what I love a career. One of my three children wants to be a pilot also, so I hope that dream never leaves her.Thanks for the specifics on those takeoffs and landings. I will tweak things a little and see what happens.Regards,Pam

>Do you have IAS or TAS enabled for airspeed which is an >option in the realism settings? I believe the default is >TAS and I fly the 172 all the time and shoot the approach at >1700 rpm and 30 flaps and usally target a 70kts approach til >short final where I will bring back the rpms to about 1500 >and slow to 60KIAS this all with the default airfile. Hope >that helps. >>Kilstorm Thanks, that was exactly the fix it needed. It was set to IAS and I changed is to TAS, now it flies exactly as you mentioned, much more realistic. I'm used to the real thing where I recently got my Private Pilot license out of Pompano Airpark so I fly that approach on MSFS to see how it compares. Very close now...Now I can really start enjoying it!Thanks,Pam

PS...I did as suggested and tried selecting TAS for the realism and that fixed the problem, now it flies just right and I can trim out for 65 knots with full flaps on final approach. Ahhh, simming and the real thing, I just wish now I could do more of both!!Thanks for the help,Pam

You keep saying TAS when you should be flying with IAS enabled for realism. But if your getting the results that you want than I'm glad I was able to help. As far as my set up I have a very simular system. 2 gig P4 with 512 ram and a Gforce 3 card. CH yoke and pedals with the ACP compact radio stack. Also for the fun flights got the 3d glasses. If your new to simming I highly recommend using active camera for all your light single flying under the virtual cockpit. That will double the realism 10 times. Also active weather RE is a get payware add on. Currently I live right up the road from you in Vero Beach. I work at Cape Air in Nantucket but took some time off from there to escape the cold. Prior to that i worked at Flight Safety. Well gonna run.Kilstorm

If you want realism set it to IAS. Airspeed indicators do not display TAS.I'm guessing you fly older model 172s. The 172 in FS is a 2002 model 172SP with 180HP. Power settings will be different.

Guest aca_dia

Im using an older computer. PIII 800 512mb Ram Geforce 4 128mb 4400. Also Im flying both the 160hp and 180hp RW 172's. The V speeds are the same in each, but the power settings are slightly different. Im not sure if the SP uses the exact same speeds or not, though I did fly one a few weeks back and I dont recall there being any difference.

I know they do not show true airspeed, which is indicated airspeed corrected for non standard temperature and pressure. I have also flown both the old and the newer 172's and both have the same airpseed on final approach with full flaps, 65 knots. I was just trying to get my flight sim to be closer to the real thing, and not the 80 and 90 knots on final approach I was seeing. Power settings shouldn't be that far off in a sigle engine piston, or MSPro2002 wouldn't be worth buying. Maybe if I tweak it some more it will fly right set at IAS, but for now I will try it at TAS for a while.Thanks,Pam C

I will try it both ways, with IAS and TAS and see what happens. Maybe it was the yoke and rudder setups that needed calibrating. I am only trying out the sim once in a while when I have a few moments to spare, so I haven't tweaked it all out yet.Thanks for your help.Pam C

Guest Stompy

Hey, Birdlegs - If I recall correctly, there's also a bug with the DG on the 172. It ends up getting out of whack WAY too quickly. I think you have to go into the .cfg file for the plane and decrease the amount of deviance it gets over a period of time or something like that. Actually, I'm having to reinstall from scratch due to a full system rebuild I had to do, so I'm gathering up all the tweaks and such I had originally. If anyone knows off the top of their heads what the fix was for this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've also lost the URL for that tips/tricks/tweaks page I had a while back too, but I think that's where I found it...

Guest Stompy

Ah, here we go:Taken directly from fsgateway.com/tips"In the real world, this deviation is roughly 15 degrees per hour - but in FS2K2, values of 120 degrees/hour are no exception! Recalibrating the gyro every ten seconds gets *very* repetitive *very* fast, I can tell you... so here's how you fix it.Open up FS2002.cfg with your favorite text editor and look for the line "GyroEffect=1.000000". Change it to something more reasonable, e.g. "GyroEffect=0.125000", and presto! One happy gyroscope. :)"Much better. :-)