Sign in to follow this  
JMR

Clearance delivery readback problems.

I'm getting back into FS and more specifically, VoxATC, and I'm having a heck of a time with reading back my clearance from clearance delivery. I've done voice training several times in a row but every time I readback word for word my clearance instructions VoxATC insists on me reading it back for at least 3 or 4 times before it finally yields. Anyone have some advice on how to tackle this problem? Will the new upcoming version of VoxATC allow non verbatim readback of instructions?

Hi JMR,Where are you flying from and to? There are some words, especially non english ones that SAPI 5 will seem to get a hiccup with. The manual does go over some workarounds like saying "anyplace." Have you tried that? Do you have a lot of background noise while simming? Have you done the voice training loading up the specific flight you are having trouble with so you can train for the names you are pronouncing? I have had some areas that gave me trouble... like INGENIERO F ESPINOZA GUTIERREZ INTL which I just say "anyplace" for ;).

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I mainly fly in the US so non English words aren't too much of a problem except for maybe the Spanish ones in California :} I seem to get better results with my mic pulled away from my mouth whereas before I kept it closer as it felt natural that way. I think the biggest problem was that I was speaking too quickly for the program to accurately recognize what I was saying. I've been using VoxATC to prep myself before my first Vatsim flight and so I was speaking to VoxATC as if it were another person but I have to remember I'm talking to my computer :}Just a quick question about SID altitude assignments. Let's say I'm flying a SID whose end point (transition) is 100+ miles from the airport, should I leave the altitude box empty and climb to my cruising altitude per my flightplan? I ask because if enter an altitude of say 6000', VoxATC will keep me at 6000' all the way to the SID transition which isn't optimal when flying a jet. On the other hand, if I enter 30,000, which happens to be my planned altitude for that waypoint, VoxATC will give me clearance direct to 30,000 after take off but such a high altitude clearance isn't realistic, is it?

Glad it's working better with the mike further away. I would recommend leaving the box for "Altitude ATC assigned" unchecked even though you entered altitudes and see if you can get that to work for you better.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

This program is driving me nuts. With certain flights, no matter how many times I do the flightplan trainer, VoxATC doesn't understand my readbacks.For instance, I'm having one #### of a time with a flight from KRNO to KHWD. I'm using the Mustang Six departure and every time I read back "mustang depature . . . mustang transition" Vox ATC insists on me repeating it over and over until it understands me. However when I do the flightplan trainer it understands my "mustang" annunciation without any problems. I've attached my flightplan if you'd like to give it a go yourself.

I am getting a corrupt file error with both of the files you zipped and attached. I will PM you with my email address so you can resend them.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi JMR,I got your files from the email you sent... my FS9 install still didn't like them and wouldn't open them. I did plan a flight of my own programming in the Mustang Six departure procedure and it took the first time I repeated the clearance. You might want to check your microphone volume to see where the bars are reading on your screen (make sure they are not too quiet or too loud) and also check for anything that might be causing background interference. I have had trouble in the past with other names and using "anyplace" will usually work as a replacement and get the program to advance.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest mattriggins

>I'm getting back into FS and more specifically, VoxATC, and>I'm having a heck of a time with reading back my clearance>from clearance delivery. I've done voice training several>times in a row but every time I readback word for word my>clearance instructions VoxATC insists on me reading it back>for at least 3 or 4 times before it finally yields. Anyone>have some advice on how to tackle this problem? >>Will the new upcoming version of VoxATC allow non verbatim>readback of instructions? One thing that makes a difference is the sensitivity to the accuracy. From:http://voxatc.com/documentation/documentat...#Option%20Menus"After configuring the microphone, click 'Settings' in the 'Recognition Profiles' section. Set the sliders as shown."I had a lot of issues with certain things asking for read back. In my case, I set BOTH slides ALL the way LEFT. Pronunciation Sensitivy to LOW and Accuracy vs. Recognition Response Time to LOW/FAST.That solved my problems...