Sign in to follow this  
eurowing

how does it sound?

hi,i am wondering about how the ATC voices sound? i am still hoping for a good ATC add-on product to replace default ATC.radar contact i find very disappointing when it comes to the quality of the ATC voices (too artificial to me). even the default sounds better.does VOXATC use the default voice files? or a completely new set? how does it sound compared to default FS ATC or radar contact?thanks!

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Hi Denis,VoxATC uses the Microsoft SAPI 5.1 sounds used for text to speech. The Deluxe DVD version of VoxATC includes AT&T's voice sets which are quite an improvement.You do know you can download a working demo of the program don't you? You can find that on their website: http://www.voxatc.com/There's a review of the earlier version of VoxATC I wrote for AVSIM you can find here: http://www.avsim.com/pages/0105/voxatc/voxatc.htmlAnd lastly you can go to AT&T's site and test drive their enhanced voices here: http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php...try entering something like: "Cessna 5 Lima Kilo enter on the 45 for runway one six right" or any phrase you might like. The Crystal and Mike voicesets are what are included on the DVD.Hope this helps,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest mattriggins

Denis,Here's a question. I have the FS9 version of voxatc and love it. In regards to the voices, do you (or does anyone) know if you have say 5 of the AT&T voices bought from the link above, will voxatc use different ones for different controllers? Say ground uses Crystal, tower Mike, etc?And since I don't have the delux DVD naturally I'd have to buy Mike and Crystal, but do any of the others work? I'm assuming so, but just double checking since I've always just used the built in stuff.Thanks!

Hi Matt,VoxATC and VoxATC X both are designed to use up to two individual voicesets, one male, one female. You can purchase extra voicesets, and some people have so that they can have particular regional accents when they fly different areas, but you will only be able to use one male and one female set at a time.That's a very impressive simulator you have built for yourself. I really like the TH2Go unit a lot, I have to go back and view some of your videos.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

hey Zane,yes i am aware of the demo. i just don't want to install anything without knowing for sure that i'll keep it. you probably know the problems associated with multiple install/uninstall processes.thank you for the links, though.regards,

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Hi Denis,One thing I have done plenty of times is uninstall and reinstall VoxATC, both in the FS9 and FSX versions. We've got that down pretty well so you shouldn't expect any difficulties should you decide to uninstall. That's not to say we didn't have some problems on the way, I once installed one of the betas over an existing version and that wouldn't open at all, during one of the betas of FSX the VoxATC X uninstaller would also inadvertently uninstall the FS9 VoxATC version also. These current versions shouldn't cause you any difficulty so give it a try for yourself to see if you like what the program does.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

The voice recognition is very good, but the voices are badly robotic, to say the least. Only two voices also means that all the traffic and controllers speak with the same voice. It's a bit like listening to Steven Hawking's voice box in ATC. The default FSX and FS9 ATC voices are careully recorded wav files, while VOX ATC uses text-to-speech. There is great potential in this product,IMHO, but it's the terrible microsoft voices and the robotic stutter that let it down.I'd still buy it though, the rest of it is worth the money!

Hmmm... Been using VOXATC a little while now an moved it a month ago into the new cokpit ($20,000 worth of bespoke Beech 1900D enclosure). I just read my previous post about the "robotic voices" and I now think it's a bit scathing.The fact is that TTS voices DO sound robotic, although there are better versions about, BUTVOX use a clever pitch change mechanism to give the illusion of several voices, it is very clever and it does add to the illusion.Using VOX ATC is really good, I found myself on a VOR hold yesterday (Very cool!). There are a few iritating misses with the voice recognition, and it's not as flexible as one woud like (For example, you must say "GBR with you at flight level...blah blah" and it barfs at "GBR is with you at flight level..." Also, saying "thank you" or "good day" as in real life is out.Overall - I would like amend my previous post to say that this is an outstanding product. DON'T expect "human" voice, but the radio procedures and realism are excellent. This is well worth the money BUY!!Trev Meacham