Sign in to follow this  
Manny

VOX Install Q

OK.. I downloaded the FS9 version of VOX and tried to install it. IT says..It needs .net version 1.1.4322.I know, I have .net installed. It's 2.0.1. This is freaking me out. Is the .net not backward compatible... Are we now going to install ,net of a million version because some vendor is dependent on a particular milliionth copy of .net?2. If I install this version..is this going to mess up something else?3. a tMS http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569264.aspx there is a 1.1 version, then there is the 1.2 version and then there is the 1.3 version..but I don't see no 1.1.4322 versionThis is becoming like that JDE version crap.Too bad.MAnny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have both VoxATC for FS9 and FSX installed with Net 1.1 and 2.0 living together peacefully. I think I would just install Net1.1 and retry the FS9 version reinstall again. Good luck.

Hi Bruce,Thanks.OK.. I installed the FS9 version and I actually like it. Like others were saying.. the focus on the right terminology overrides the mechanical voice issue.I am thinking of getting the FSX for Win XP version and trying it out.I have a couple of Qs.1. I am assuming the prompt window is always available. I would need this...until I get the right terminolgy down pat. 2. Can I deviate? meaning..while all is quite and I crusing along..can I simply request to leave the frequency and report back? Can I open a flight plan from FSS (Assuming VFR) after I take off...rather than on the ground..when the system prompts me? IS it a liner path that I have to follow as prompted on the prompt window? I noticed unline Radar Contact, I didn't have too manny choices. OFcourse I only tried one VFR flgiht...and that too halfway. ..I tried to load the F1 Cessna 172 half way rather than use the default cessna 172 and that kind of messed my VOC ATC. IT didn't recognize my aircraft... I think.3. How rigid is it? For example... When the prompt to ack the Altimeter setting "Altimeter 3001, Cessna 1151Delta"I tried "3001, Cessna 1151 Delta" and that did't work..IT wanted me to repeat the "Altimeter" also.Could I have gotten away with just reading the "51Delta" rather than "Cessna 1151Delta"MannyManny

Manny

I just read the AVSIM review by Zane.http://www.avsim.com/pages/0105/voxatc/voxatc.htmlWhat he says makes sense. This is ideal for me. I have the Comm1 IFR. This looks like it is basically something like COMM1 IFR and VFR linked to MS Fsim. I head read about VOX about a year or so ago.. and I read some negative posts on how hard it was for Vox to recognize the users voice. I was expecting to keep repeating stuff. But it turned out..atleast in the demo, I hardly had to repeat anything. I am so thrilled about this... Tomorrow I am going to try their VOXatc for FSX. I don't care for Vista ...not for another year.. thats plenty of time for them to fix it for Vista.Thank you....MannyQuote"The cost for registering the program is

Manny

Glad you got it working. As for the robotic voices you might want to replace the MS Mike voice with an improved voice such as AT&T's Natural Voice. You can check them out at Nextup.com. These are the same voices that were included with the Deluxe version of VoxATC-FS9. For more information start with a search on this forum, there has been extensive discussion about this. As for the prompt window I assign a joystick button so I can toggle it and leave it off as much as possible. As you mentioned this program is linear in structure so I pretty much stick with the options in the prompt window and the order provided by the controller. In my experience I get the best results with an IFR flight plan. Callsigns can be shortened to a limited extent after initial contact. Usually the controller does this but you can respond with the shortened callsign and the controller should pick up on this. I believe you must keep the aircraft type so Cessna1151D can be shortened to Cessna51D. This program can be quite frustrating at times but overall I think it works very well and it adds a lot to the flight sim experience IMHO. Happy flying.

Guest mattriggins

>Glad you got it working. As for the robotic voices you might>want to replace the MS Mike voice with an improved voice such>as AT&T's Natural Voice. You can check them out at Nextup.com.>These are the same voices that were included with the Deluxe>version of VoxATC-FS9. So, am I right in thinking that with Nextup.com, you can buy the Mike/Crystal ones for $35 bucks?The company that makes them, (Something wizard...) wants $295 per ENGINE... and then the voice is on top of that. Is that right?I have FS9 and I'd like to use the true naturals.... but am not spending 500 for mike and crystal with the manufacturer of the voices.Can I buy Mike/Crystal for 35 bucks for voxatc fs9 and be done?

I just rechecked the nextup.com website since it's been a while. The Natural Voice speech engine is bundled with Mike and Crystal voices and is in a download version for $25 USD. Just go to the nextup homepage and click on purchase. Look for the AT&T Natural Voices menu and click on the link to . On the next screen click on . Select the 16khz ATT Natural Voice Engine listing in the drop down window. This includes the enhanced Crystal and Mike voices. You do not have to purchase any of the other nextup products. These voices will work with all versions of VoxATC. Install the Crystal voice first and then the Mike voice. I just installed them into the windows main programs folder. To set up the speech engine just go to your win control panel and click on speech and select the text to speech tab. You should see the new voices in the drop down voice menu. I usually select the 16khz Mike voice. VoxATC will now use this voice. With the FS9 version the voice is modified as far as speed and gender (according to the VoxATC developer) to provide some variety. With the FSX version there is an additional menu in the VoxATC program to select both a male and female voice. A big plus, with the new speech engine you can access the text to speech dictionary and correct pronunciation of words that VoxATC mispronounces. As mentioned there are numerous posts about using these voices already on this forum. Good luck.

I tried the FSX version.. when I load the flight and try initiate "Enable" the VOX and then it goes into test mode and then prompts for changing the radio to ATIS.... at that prompt, I am getting into a loop of Pop ups "Exception received :23"Hmmm...1. Also.. How do I make the Vox ATC to use my MB sound rather than my soundcard? I have done this for Multiplayer.Manny

Manny

OMG,Its clashing with my Flight Link TR-1 Avionics. I need that to tune my radios. That was what the pop up exception was. The Avionics uses the .net v2 and talks to the FSX via the .net 2.0 and FSUIPC and its messing up.Hmmmm....But It worked with FS9. (.Net crap 1.1 and 2.0...no problem)Man..I am impressed with VOX. now this.I can't choose between these. I can't go back to using mouse for radios. :(Manny

Manny

Guest mattriggins

>>I can't choose between these. I can't go back to using mouse>for radios. :(>Why not use GoFlight radios?

Guest mattriggins

Thanks for the info Bruce! I indeed had no problem getting Mike and Crystal purchased and installed. Works great. Clearance used Mike, Ground used Crystal. I'm wondering if the FS9 version picks out of the pot of voices. IE right now I have AT&T Mike, Crystal and then the default MS Sam/Mary. Wonder if because I chose to use AT&T Mike, now it will only use Mike/Crystal and no longer use Sam/Mary? If so, (That is OK with me!) I wonder if I buy MORE voices from nextup, will it randomly choose which AT&T ones to use? That would rule, give you some randomness. Right now it's defeinitely using both Mike and Crystal...

Happy to hear you have got the new voices working. As for VoxATC using more voices, that would be a nice enhancement for this software but it is not currently possible. Per the developer the FS9 version uses just one voice and modifies it including gender. I agree it sure sounds like it is using both of the new voices. The FSX version does have a setup page where you select both a male and female voice. At this time neither version can use more than two voices. Hopefully a future upgrade of the FSX version would allow more voices to insure the same voice is not heard in sequence. It is very bizzare to hear the same voice on both sides of the conversation.

Is there an official VOX Support forum?I can't afford to buy a new set of avionics hardware. I really would like to get this bug fixed.Manny

Manny

In the past you could obtain technical support by emailing info@voxatc.com. Also there is a contact page on the voxatc web site if you haven't already tried that. Good luck.

Guest mattriggins

>Is there an official VOX Support forum?>>I can't afford to buy a new set of avionics hardware. I really>would like to get this bug fixed.>>MannyOh I see, you already have hardware radios which worked under FS9 with .net 1.1/2.0 and FSUIPC. Now you are using FSX and VoxATCX and that is where your problem is coming in at, I see.I dunno, could be a number of things. Obviously the way FSX works over the way FS9 did is different, and thus everything needs updating. I'm just tossing ideas out to ya so ignore anything you already know or have tried already :)1. Update for current radios to support FSX, or not necessary?2. Running latest FSUIPC3. Windows XP SP2, fully updated?4. Any chance you can try same setup, on a different computer just to test?5. Reinstall .net 1.1 and 2.0?6. If you run the setup, right now, using FS9, no problems? Or do you now encounter sameproblem in FS9 AND FSX? Or is it JUST FSX? (IE, you have voxatc for FS9 and it works, or same issue)7. DO you have VoxATC AND VoxATCX installed? I know that when I installed VoxATCX it hosed my FS9 version, although, that was on the old sim rig which had problems to being with (Spyware running as I found out later) and I ultimately ended up building a new rig. But have you tried spybot/adware just to check for any other possible software issues that COULD cause something funky to go on here... just a thought.Other then that, I would say try contacting voxatc support. They have been very helpful when I asked questions. If you have tried all the above and/or if that is not the issue I'd try support next. Its gotta be something funky, hope you can get it resolved. I love VoxATC but again, I don't run FSX... my new intel core 2 duo rig runs FS9 great and I'm happy with that for a couple years until quad+ processors come out so we can run FSX with some frame rates :)Good luck!!