Sign in to follow this  
lawinge2

readback out of touch with reality

If I repeated every word that ATC said to me I would not only drive them crazy they would probably want to ban me from flying into my local airpart. Vox seems to me to train pilots to readback way too much. ATC is only looking for essential info, such as, cleared ILS 18, 240, 2000, tower 119.9. That's all they want to hear for clearance, heading, altitude, and freq. If there's some way to simplify responses to ATC in Vox please let me know. Vox would be great for practice if it could go one more step toward real ATC procedures.

Nice second post. Fortunately you have the luxury of trying the free demo before purchasing. VoxATC has been designed with real world ATC verbage but not designed with the shortcuts many pilots will take when talking at a familiar airport. I might suggest you view Richard Collin's DVD's regarding ATC communications available from Sporty's and then you might fire off an email to him critiquing his callback recommendations, after all he only has about 18,000 hours, mostly IFR and you seem to really know what you're talking about.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

It's true I only have a little more than five hundred hours, but I have surived the crowded airspace and communications where I fly fairly well. Also, the information I put in my previous post is from my two flying instructors, and one air traffic controller who is also a flight instructor. What I've learned seems to work well on the east coast from North Carolina to Florida where I do most of my flying.

I think you should just go back to pushing buttons with the default ATC. Your posts title alone is very insulting to the developer of this software who has spent countless hours developing it in an attempt to provide a more realistic flight environment. You might want to look into something like VATSIM and talk to real people who will be more flexible with your abbreviated responses. I personally believe that complete callsigns and readbacks go a long way toward insuring safety in today's complex flight environment.

Guest mattriggins

1. I'm not taking sides :)2. No I'm not a pilot. I'd like to be, am working on that. Just want to make sure I have the $ to be able to learn safe, fly safe, and continue to be safe.3. I'vd had VoxATC for years (for FS9) and love it.4. And the real point of my post...First, VoxATC is an amazing piece of software and I appreciate it every time I fly. I would never fly without it. While I understand the posters concept which is really along the lines of "lets not get too picky" per say, I've noticed something about real world aviation (along with the post) that REALLY bothers me.In wanting to obtain my PPL, what I have noticed is that really what gets drilled in your head is procedures procedures procedures, follow the procedures. Which makes sense. You do it the right way, the same way. What I mean is, get ATIS, call for clearance, etc. That's my drift.But I listen to LiveATC.net and daily I hear real world ATC never following the same procedure. Some guys in the tower speak very slowly, and in specific tones SO they can be heard very clearly and there are no mistakes. Others blab out their instructions like it's a sunday afternoon auction.The same goes for pilots. And this doesn't apply to just my local international airport as I've heard this with many of the airports I listen to on LiveATC. Miscommunications, some aircraft callsigns being very close to each other, one pilot keying up the mic while ATC is reading back and worst of all, some read back their instructions correctly and others just abbreviate.Now, while that may be handy for those that do abbreviate (and it's obvious that it is done, hence the reason for the original posters post in the first place) that really scares me. We don't have "near misses", we have "near hits!" My point, it seems that many like to cut the corners and while some may understand you, how about that one time when there is a "new guy" in the tower. He has trained the lingo verbatum. Now someone cuts it short, what if he misunderstands? That's the last thing you'd want....That is really scary to me.... I may be making a mountain out of a molehill and yes, I can see people doing it in Vatsim. I've heard it there as well. But there aren't any real lives at stake on Vatsim.....So I love VoxATC, and I understand why the poster posted, because this DOES happen in real life. Should that be a post directed to the developers of VoxATC? No of course not. Does the poster make a valid point (for real world aviation) yes, he does.So, when did real world aviation procedures take a dump....Scary!Keep up the great work on VoxATC!