Sign in to follow this  
pouldam

Frequence changes are not always registered

HiI have the full version of VoxATC X, but have recently run into a problem.Sometimes, and only sometimes, when I am told by VoxATC to change frequency it does not register this even though the radio shows the correct frequency. Thus, the VoxATC window keeps displaying a message like 'tune to somebody on some frequency' (I do not remember the exact wording). That sort of ends my ATC services for that flight -- I can still hear the AI planes communicate with the controller though.I have not looked thoroughly into this, reinstalled VoxATC and the like. Before digging deeper into this (probably first when FSX SP1 arrives) I just want to hear if any of you guys have had similar experiences./ Thanks in advance, Poul

I haven't seen this behaviour although I have had the program get "stuck" before. I might suggest trying doing a frequency swap, go to the last frequency and say "say again", you can also try "say again" on the new frequency. All else fails you can alway recycle VoxATC by disabling it then re-enabling it, it will take up enroute if you are at least five miles from your departure airport.BTW is this happening in a specific type of aircraft? VC or 2d panel? What are you using to change the radio frequency and where is this frequency read?

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I haven't tried the 'say again' approach -- I will if I end up in this situation again. I have had it happen in the default 737 and last night in the default Baron -- both in VC. Last night it happened as I asked Ground for permission to cross a runway before takeoff. I was told to switch to tower frequency, but VoxATC never seemed to register when I had made the switch on the radio.Funny you ask how I change frequency. I have a MIDI controller (used for music production) with a lot of sliders, buttons and knobs. Using a program called Bome's MIDI Translator I can program this controller to send a series of key strokes to the active application when I mess with the controls. Thus, I have mapped some of the knobs to increase/decrease the frequency when i turn them -- adds a nice touch of realism. However, I can not see how this could affect this issue, as it merely sends keystrokes to FSX. When VoxATC gets stuck I have also tried to swap (standby) frequencies using the mouse to see if that would trigger anything, but it did not.I read the frequency on the radio stack in VC and even though it matches the frequency in the VoxATC window nothing happens. The really weird thing here is that it only happens sometimes. Anyway, issues like this often disappear when reinstalling, so lets see what happens when SP1 arrives and I take a day out to reinstall everything.A final (and maybe a dumb) question -- sometimes I am told to switch to a frequency with 3 digits after the decimal, e.g. 118.525, but the display in the radio stack only displays 2 digits. Thus, I would make it read 118.52 and I am OK. Is this just the way things work with these frequencies? N.B. The issue discussed above also happens with frequencies with only 2 digits after the decimal./ Cheers, Poul

Hi Poul,I was asking about how you tuned because I use an ACP Compact, my friend Bill Womack uses GoFlight equipment and there is another user using another hardware addon made for tuning radios. That third one does seem to have some problems tuning frequencies on the Saab Safir and we haven't quite figured out why yet. I was curious if somehow the displayed and actual tuned frequency had somehow gotten out of step.Regarding the 118.525 vs 118.52 probably the navdata has that third digit so VoxATC is reading it although the radios are set to not display that particular digit, they do tune it though.I too am excited to see what the patch offers for FSX, I still far prefer FS9 with all my addons but can see the potential FSX has in it.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888