Sign in to follow this  
RetepB

FSX stutter problems after enabling VoxATC UK

I have a fairly high spec PC with Intel Duo2 core 6600 2.4Ghz, 2Gb ram, Nvidia Ge-force 88oo gtx 768mb graghics using Windows Vista Home premium 32bit. The only two additions so far are Horizons Gen X photo scenery and Track IR. Since the SP1 update, FSX has run very smoothly at 30 fps. My new addon is VoxATC UK DVD version that includes the new voices.When VoxATC UK enabled, normal flying is still very smooth at 30fps, but when I communicate with VoxATC, their voice replies and text changes in the Prompt window causes bad sim stopping stutters. Any ideas or similar problems out there please from other Vista users ?? Peter

Hi Peter: Caveat: I have a similar setup to yours, and use "heavier" addons, but using XP as the OS. I would think you could change the cpu affinity of VoxATC such that it uses the 2nd proc: the other thing I would try is to move your fps setting to "unlimited". I got consistently higher fps after this last change, but have also never suffered with stutters. My cpu is overclocked to 3.2 gig. Hope this helps.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions Paul. I see you use XP as your OS. I know other simmers who have similar PC specs to me, but still use XP instead of Vista. They also use VoxATC UK, with no stutters!! If I increase my fps to unlimited, I think there is a slight improvement in VoxATC stutters but they are sill quite noticable. If I set fps limit beyond 30 I start to suffer progressive photo scenery loading problems, so 30fps limit seems to be mysystems 'sweet spot' where every thing else (other than Vox ATC !) runs very smoothly. Perhaps I need to spend some time tweaking all those sliders (AGAIN!) to find another acceptable setup. How FSX and addon programs decide to use my Intel core2 Duo is way beyond me, but I assumed they shared across the two cores ?? or may be just use one and over flow to the other - help!! However, from what you say, I assume that an 'affinity setting' can control which core a program runs on. So Paul, if your suggestion of changing my VoxATC program to use the 2nd core could help/stop the stutters, I'm more than willing to give it a go, assuming it's not beyond my limitations! So, can anyone out there please point me in the 'Affinity' direction, or better still, has successfully played with their own 'Affinity settings'!?! Thanks, Peter

Sorry I didn't check back, Peter! Alt-Tab to the Windowed mode, rt-click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, select "Task Manager", "Applications" tab, rt-click on VoxATC, select "Go to Process". The VoxATC (or whatever process you actually wish to push to the other core - like ActiveSky for e.g.)will now be highlighted: rt-click on it, and a menu will pop up, with a choice to "Select Affinity". Select the second core. Boom! Done!:+As an afterthought - ANY traffic and any water above 1h is a frame killer.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul - I have now set Affinity for VoxATC UK to use only the second core as you explained and I'm very pleased to report this has all but solved the stutters. I just get the occasional blip now, with most flights completing without any stutters at all. I found that in "Task Manager" VoxATC when enabled, for some reason does not appear in the "Applications" tab, but does under "Process" tab. Above the "Select Affinity" option was another option for setting "Priority" and I noted this was set to 'High'. As you probably know, I have to reset the VoxATC Affinity setting to use core two only every time it is enabled, a small price to pay for enjoyable simming again.Thanks for your help Paul - Peter