Sign in to follow this  
Guest Don Stone

Constant Repeating of Calls

Guest Don Stone

Enjoying the program but I cannot resolve one irritating problem. Ie my first call of every contact with ATC does not seem to register but it does after I repeat the process. Just wonder if someone can help with advice as to why this is so or tell me how to fix it. Thanks in advance Don S:-hmmm

Hi Don,Many reasons for difficulty interpreting a call. Is there other ambient noise in the sim room? Have you completed voice training for VoxATC... not just generic but also specific for a few of your flights? Are you using an onboard soundcard or good quality soundcard? Are you using a good mic that is close to your mouth? These could all make a difference and if the answer is a room with a lot of outside interference noise, onboard sound card, cheap mic three feet from your head and no voice training you are doomed ;).

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Don Stone

Hi Zane and thankyou for your prompt response. I have onboard sound (Realtek)and there is no ambient noise in the room (its a spare bedroom in my home). Yes, I have completed the Microsoft included speech training several times over the past week - and have also done the VOXatc one on several occasions. But is that enough? I believe I have a reasonable headset and mike..but whether it is close enough to my mouth is unknown (it sits about three inches from my mouth). It obviously registers eventually referring back to the comment in my original post about it registering the second time around however I'll experiment by trying it closer. The flight I tried today was a struggle - It was one of Voz's (VFR Kansas City - Eppley)..after much repeating I finally got to the runway for takeoff and then the program locked up!! But, look I accept you comments as being helpful and constructive and will start a more intense voice training regime and see how we go...will let you know what transpires. Fingers crossed!! Regards Don S

Guest sox

Hi Don:When I first started using VoxATC (about one year ago), I had the same problem that you describe. I did a lot of training with the machine and found that the more I used it the better it got...now there is seldom any problem as far as reply from ATC goes.Also, I recall that when I bought my new mic/headset, the recommendation was to have the mic one inch from the mouth.Hope this encourages you a bit,Sox.

I recommend 1/8 to 1/4 inch from your mouth same as I recommend to my real world students.Hope this helps.Russ

Guest Don Stone

Gday, Thankyou for you comments and help and there is no doubt that they will be applied. However, there is also another problem it would seem...ie in frustration last evening I went on the internet and "googled" setting up voice recognition with Realtek onboard sound. There was a lot of items came up but the crux of it seemed to be that Realtek High Definition Audio has been a bit of a problem and requires new drivers or whatever. So I returned the pc to my computer man today and he immediately agreed with my views (which was a first...)....it seems he spent last evening at a clients place trying to fix a similar problem but didn't resolve it!! He purpose built the machine for me a few months ago for flight simming so fingers cross that he can remedy the problem and I can get back in the air using VOX atc.:)

Guest Don Stone

Gday again. Just to report that voice recognitions is now working fine. A bit of fine tuning plus updated drivers and it works like a charm. Cheers Don S:-)

Guest tmond

I Don. Tim here. I am concerned as i have a disk of this program coming via airmail. Can you tell me what Realtek High Definition onboard sound is? It seems there are a few problems with this program. Now I'm not sure I did the right thing by buying it. I already have 5 Big Ones invested in my system.Plse adv. I see you got fixed. I typed this before I read your last msge. What kind of drivers did you need and how much money? Did you still have to instal Realtek? Tim

Guest Don Stone

Gday Tim, My problem had nothing to do with VOXatc..is was a sound problem. Realtek is a brand of sound and comes as "On Board" with the PC tower...there is no separate sound card as such and all my PC man did to fix my problem in this instance was download the latest drivers for Realtek high definition audio (at no cost) and once they were installed everything worked like a dream (it was just a new PC specially built for flight simming). As for VOXatc, if you follow the instructions and do the voice training it works great...you don't have to come up with what you have to say because all this comes up on the VOX window within the flight sim screen as does the responses from ATC. I'm sure you did the right thing in purchasing the program. I think most of the problems relate to not reading the instructions thoroughly and understanding procedures. Anyway all the best and enjoy....one tip from someone who learnt the hard way despite the tutorial text telling me constantly...DON'T FORGET TO PRESS THE KEYBOARD SPACEBAR EVERYTIME YOU WANT TO TRANSMIT...wink wink nudge nudge say no more!! Cheers Don S

Guest tmond

hahahaha. Don, You should be a comedian.thanks.tim:-kewl

Guest sox

Hi Tim:Just one word of warning....if you are running Vista 64 bit version you will have problems with the DVD installation. The work-around is posted elsewhere on this forum.Also, if you have the CH yoke you can assign buttons for "talk" and "ident" thereby bypassing using the space bar...adding yet another level of realism to the game.There are some minor teething problems with VoxATCX but I am sure those will be worked out...I don't think you need be concerned about $$$'s wasted. I know that I've thoroughly enjoyed using VoxATC in FS9 and cannot imagine simming without the program now.Enjoy,Sox.

Guest tmond

Thank you Sox. I ordered the dvd fs9 version. Does it supply a-1 traffic as well? I have the CH yoke.Tim:-)

The AI traffic requires use of Simconnect which is only in FSX. There is a multiplayer module that Tegwyn was working on prior to FSX's release which did make its way into the VoxATC UK version for FS9 but with FSX allowing so much more workability I doubt there will be any further updates to the FS9 version.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest tmond

Thank you very much. Tim Diamond:-)