Sign in to follow this  
BigH

Questions about VOX ATC X

I resently purchased the DVD version of the program and am very happy with it so far, however I am seeing some differences from the demo version I did a few months ago.1.) When flying the IFR plan with SIDs and STARS there is no mention of either the SID or the STAR. When I flew the demo the program would tell me to fly " STAR name here". Is this the correct behaviour? When flying that plan it did not follow the STAR procedures. BTW the procedures are setup correctly and are in the userproc folder.2.) According the instructions you should receive your filed altitude prior to getting to the STJ intersection (when flying the same plan as above). I never get a change of altitude anywhere along the route. If I reset VOX Atc it immediatly tells me to respond with "climbing to FL200". Hmmm. Is this normal? I thought I had read on this forum the the program would give you step climb to your filed altitude.How I installed the program.Installed from the DVD first which installed the ATT voices and the program. Removed the program through Add/remove programs. Downloaded and installed the latest version from the web. Which brings to mind another question how can you tell which version you are using?Any help would be appreciatedThanksHarald

Hi Harald,You have to specify a SID or STAR and you can use the VoxATC SID/STAR wizard to do this to an already saved flight with flightplan. If you haven't input this information the program will go to default mode and give you vectors to intercept the first point on your flightplan and will name that point correctly. Upon reaching that first point your usual command is to contact center. At this point you can hit zero to bring up the options menu and from there you can select the option for asking for your cruise altitude.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Thanks for that Zane,>>You have to specify a SID or STAR and you can use the VoxATC>SID/STAR wizard to do this to an already saved flight with>flightplan. If you haven't input this information the program>will go to default mode and give you vectors to intercept the>first point on your flightplan and will name that point>correctly. But I'm using the default SID/STAR flight and I did go through the setup wizard and it still used the default mode. Any ideas?Upon reaching that first point your usual command>is to contact center. At this point you can hit zero to bring>up the options menu and from there you can select the option>for asking for your cruise altitude.So what your are saying is that you are not given higher altitudes you have to request them. Is that correct?Harald

Hmmm... I'll have to check this out. I have some programs on my computer that are giving VoxATC X a bit of a problem right now so might have to test on my laptop. The climb to altitude command was usually given after passing your first waypoint on your flightplan or after completing the SID, I found that it sometimes was taking too long and the request for cruise altitude allowed for getting that climb earlier. If it's not triggering now something may have been changed. I will try the demo flight again (it has been a while ;) ) to see if the SID is not working on it. Understand I am testing v5.36 and I think the last release was 5.34, I'll put 5.34 on my laptop.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Zane,Thanks for testing that. I will also try and remove my program and test with out doing the registration to see if it makes any difference. Will post back with the results.Harald

Well I tried an uninstall and then a complete uninstall including ATT voices and still no joy. Discovered I can't run it unregistered once you register the progrom. Harald

Your right Harald. Something's broke! This used to work... and I am quite sure it was still working after SP1 and after UTX. Now I've got Accelerate installed and that's on both systems and the SID/STAR function no longer seems to make a difference in the flightplan. May be a coincidence with Accelerate, may be another glitch with a Microsoft update, I'm not sure. I know Tegwyn will be looking this over so hopefully I will hear from him if he needs any logs from me.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Thanks ZaneJust so you know I do not have acceleration installed but I do have all the latest MS patches. I have a download of a version from around June I will try that just to test my system to make sure it works.Harald

Well I installed version 5.32 and it did not work for me either, I would agree that an MS patch could be the culprit. I will wait for an update from you and thanks again for looking at this.HaraldEDIT:I also tried 3 different versions of FSUIPC and it didn't make a difference.

FYI I am running ver 5.34 and have acceleration installed and the STAR's I created with the SID-Star utility prior to installing Acceleration are still functional. I always load my default flight prior to loading the flight with the added SID or STAR otherwise the SID-STAR will not be implemented by VoxATC. I will add some more SID-STARS and see if the utility still works.

Bruce,Thanks for that. I tried your method with a little twist, since I don't use a default flight I loaded the the same flight twice and that seemed to do the trick. However like Zane said it should work on the first load. I do have a question for you though do you ever get your cruise altitude when using a SID? I flew the default SID/STAR flight and was never given my cruise altitude. Based on some of the travling I've done mostly on United where you can listen to the real ATC, altitude was always assigned. In other words cross intersection blah blah at FLxxx.RegardsHarald

Harald,Glad you the STAR-SID feature to work. Loading any flight does allow the SID-STAR to be implemented. This issue is addressed on the VoxATC web site in the FAQ section. As for loading my default fight I generally do that before I load a flight with addon aircraft. This goes back at least one FS version and it seemed to help with compatability issues. As for altitude assigments I don't check ATC in the SID-STAR setup and just comply with the altitudes entered when I generate the SID-STAR. I typically just use this feature to avoid mountainous terrain on arrivals as VoxATC doen't take terrain into account. As for altitude assignments I just request my desired cruise altitude when I contact Center. Not exactly realworld ATC procedure but thats all we can do with this version. Hopefully the next release will improve some of these issues.

Bruce,Thanks for your response, but it seems to me if you're going to use ATC that altitude assignments would be part of the experience. Don't get me wrong I'm not being critical of the program I think it's great and adds another level of realism. I just finished a flight into Chicago with procedures and the program brought me in nicely to 32L. I didn't have to go 50 miles out of my way like the MS ATC does. Harald

Guest kanadaken

I have had VoxATC for some time now. A wonderful experience indeed!I have also (like most FSX buffs) purchased many addon aircraft.As always I use the VoxATC Indexer and the Panel Setup after any install of aircraft or scenery.Always no problems, until today. I purchased Aerosoft's DHC-6 Twin Otter X. A marvelous sim aircraft! A pleasure to fly. One of the most accurate dynamics ever in a PC Plane...but my VoxATC will not reccognize this aircraft in FSX.It is listed in the Panel Setup menu along with some other addons. These aircraft always show up (unchecked) in the VoxATC Panel Setup menu, and VoxATC does not appear in these planes in FSX.Anyone else have this problem with addons? Are these planes supported by VoxAtc?Please help.Thanks guy's.Ken

Ken,I'm not sure if this is supported but what I did was add an entry in the AircraftDesignation.xml for a plane that wasn't recognized by VoxAtc. I just copied one of the "AircraftType" sections and modified it so the program would recognize my plane. Besure to make a backup before making changes. A little bit of XML editing is required so be cautious. The file is located under C:Documents and SettingsApplication DataInternal WorkingsVoxATC X. Hope this helpsHarald