Sign in to follow this  
Dondo

"Set for local VFR flight"

for whatever reason, I couldn't get VoxATC X working last night without a flight plan loaded. I wanted to cruise around in the Cub. VoxATC told me to tune Hutchinson Ground on 121.9, I did, and then it gave me the "Taxi to stay in pattern", "Local VFR" and "Radio Check". No matter what I said on the radio, all I would get was "Last aircraft, repeat"...or something like that. I tried the help menu in Vox (just calling ground, not Hutchinson Ground", I tried calling myself "Piper", just my N number, Cub, Piper Cub, Piper Cub J3 and everything else i could think of. I never got Vox to recongize me. Is this a known problem with Vox or were things just not working well? I have done all of the training I can. Flight plan, general, training with the PC stuff...everything.Also, are there other forums on the web that might get a little more Vox traffic besides this one or do people just not know about this program?

What was the phrase VoxATC was last prompting you to say?

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

It wasn't prompting me with anything. After I tuned to Hutchinson Ground (121.90), the window gave me 3 choices:"Taxi for Local VFR""Taxi for Pattern""Radio Check"or something like that. I might have the phrasing wrong this morning (it was a couple of days ago). But no matter what I said, all I could get was "Last Aircraft say again"I just thought of somethings, maybe I should have tuned ATIS before I went to ground. It never told me to tune atis, but I figured it was because I didn't have a flight plan. If you want to try it, I was parked at Small GA 3 at KHUT, no flight plan, just wanted a local flight around the area. I was in the J-3 Cub (default FSX)

I have flown without a flight plan numerous times in beta testing and with the current version. Usually when the sim is getting hung up not recognizing your verbage it is most commonly:1. Poor quality mic or mic too far from user.2. Your word pronunciation is too far from what the computer is expecting.3. You are talking too slow, too fast or with a different intonation than normal (most people will do this when prompted to repeat), use your normal talking voice and pace.4. There is some other ambient noise in the room that is interfering, this can be something else in the room or music, can also be big speakers blasting your engine noise.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

well, what is strange is that if I load a flight plan, then VoxATC works 99% of the time. It doesn't have a problem recognizing my voice. It is just when I don't have a flight plan that it won't allow me to do much.Thanks for the suggestions though. I think I'm going to experiment a little more.

Try a different aircraft, try it at a different airport. There is a word you are being prompted to say that the program is not wanting to recognize and may or may not be connected to the aircraft/airport but easy enough to weed out. Sometimes when a number and word that VoxATC is looking for is close enough to sounding similar it can get hung up on which is which.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Well, I messed with it more last night and eventually got it working correctly. Seems, that I need to know what to say since it isn't telling me what to say. When I ask for a "radio check" (all it says in the window radio check, doesn't tell me exactly what to say) I need to say:Hutchinson ground, J3 NC11783 radio check 121.9erIt didn't tell me to say that (I'm a real pilot, but haven't done a radio check in a couple of years). Once I did that, everything seemed to work okay.

If your prompter is giving you choices you should also see numbers to the left of those choices. To get the prompter to show the expected text for those choices you have to press the corresponding number above your keyboard row. In reading your earlier post I think this is where you were getting lost, you didn't know you needed to press a keyboard number to advance the prompter. Understand that VoxATC is designed so you aren't required to use any keyboard entry, it will recognize your voice making the request but the prompter is designed to guide you along if you are not sure what to say.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

OH! LoL...guess I should read the directions, huh? :)Thanks for the assistance!