Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

New user

I'm just starting to use VoxATC and of course have one question at the present. Does it work only with the comm1 radio?I tried switching over to the comm2 and could not make contact nor hear anything. I'm using the trial version at the moment and would like to know all the pros and cons.Thanks,Jim D.

Yes, at present it only works over the com1 radio. When I fly with Active Sky I use com2 for weather updates.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Thank you for responding. That is what I surmized.Now another question;Is this program mainly or limited to VFR or IFR with a filed flight plan? That is can it be used where there is an uncontroled airport? I thought I read something in the manual about this. Will have to re-read it.How does this compare to Radar Contact?Jim D.

You can fly VFR or IFR out of controlled or uncontrolled fields. Now one thing about the program, when flying VFR into an airfield you need to contact that airfield before 20 nm out, otherwise you will get the dreaded "not available at this time" message. You also have the option of starting a flight without a saved flightplan that allows you to do touch and goes out of the departing field.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Thanks again. I did some sleuthing here on the forums comparing RC with VoxATC and I'm strongly leaning toward this one.Will do the IFR test flights before buying as a final determining point.By the way, why is the price not mentioned anywhere until the order page? Maybe it would 'scare' off a few before trying it? Even car dealers post a price before you drive it.I still don't know the price but will when I go to the purchase page.Jim D.

Guest Brettlee

Hi there i was just reading your bit about active sky, ive heard this talked bout b4, could you tell me more about it and what does it actually do thanks Brett

Guest Brettlee

im wondering does voxatc allow you to plan and file proper flightplans including sids and stars im so undecided what to try radar contact or vox

Brettlee,VOX must be used with a filed flight plan which is taken from the FS Flight Planner. Then a SID and/or STAR can be filed for your flight plan. You fill this out on the SID/Star page. You can file either a VFR or an IFR FP.I've looked at both and prefer VOX for it's voice recognition feature, e.g. you need to speak into a microphone wereas RC4 is, I believe, similar as the default ATC. Another advantage is that VOX will give you taxi instructions which is not available with RC4.Why not try it out yourself. A free testing program is available for use on FS9 for 30 days but it does limit you to flights between 3 airports. Testing for FSX is for 7 days.It does have some limitations, not perfect, but more realistic. Jim D.

I see in this thread that zfehr indicated that you could NOT file a flight plan and stay in the local traffic pattern and make touch and go's. Does this mean that you can still use VOX-ATC during this flight? i.e. talk to ground control and tower?