Sign in to follow this  
Griff

Question concerning VOX ATC and "unable to comply" resp...

I downloaded the demo version last night and am quite impressed with the level of immersion that the program creates. I was flying the included VFR flight to Eppley and upon arrival, I was told to contact the controller to request a visual approach to the active runway (32L I believe). However, every time I asked the controller he stated that he was unable. I did some research and saw a post reference "the dreaded unable response" based on failing to contact the airport by a certain distance. I followed the on-screen prompts but still had the problem. Is this a known issue that cannot be corrected or is it just a random thing? Also, once this happens what is the solution? I know that I can land on the runway but it seems pointless without having contact with the controller or tower. Anyway, any explanation would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Chad Griffin

Well, I just flew another flight from my local airport to Reno-Tahoe International and all went well with the program. I really like this add-on and I'm hoping the "unable" situation from the controllers is an infrequent problem.

Chad Griffin

I have continued to evaluate Vox ATC and I continue to receive the "unable at this time" message whenever flying into unicom airports. I flew a short hop tonight to try out the Aerosoft Twin Otter X and by the time I contacted Oakland Center and reached my first VOR waypoint, I was within 19 miles of KSVE. I requested to change frequencies and alas, KSVE Municipal unicom would not accept my transmissions and I quit talking to them. Anyway, my long haul IFR flight plans work well but the less important VFR flights are not working as advertised.

Chad Griffin

Try to make your first request when 20 or miles out. I have not had this problem as long as 20 miles or more out, depending on landing runway I have been able to get closer than 20 miles but I am not sure of the programming logic that determines this. I would love to see the ability to contact and get approval as close as 10 miles out.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Thanks for the response. I read an earlier post of yours which brought this problem to my attention. Is 20 miles the magic number? I tried contacting a unicom airport approximately 30 miles out and I still had the same problem with the "unable to at this time" response. I'll keep plugging away to see if I can find the sweet spot. I sent a contact message through the Vox ATC website but never heard any response.

Chad Griffin

Guest papemp

I also experience the "unable at this time" response whenever flying into an untowered airport when contacting unicom. I have tried at several different distances out: 30 miles, just over 20 miles, etc. I'm using version 5.55. Has anyone heard something conclusive on this issue? Also, if I don't load a flight plan at an untowered airport, no ATC unit is found. Is that to be expected? At towered airports without a flight plan loaded, I can fly a local flight / touch and gos. Is this also possible at untowered airports? Despite these glitches, this is one of the best add-on products I have purchased for FS and really adds to the immersion of my homebuilt cockpit.Mike

>Thanks for the response. I read an earlier post of yours>which brought this problem to my attention. Is 20 miles the>magic number? I tried contacting a unicom airport>approximately 30 miles out and I still had the same problem>with the "unable to at this time" response. I'll keep>plugging away to see if I can find the sweet spot. I sent a>contact message through the Vox ATC website but never heard>any response. Hi Griff,20 miles is the number with the earlier builds. Tegwyn was working on getting this vectoring in closer with the latest builds. Problem areas can be selecting airports that are too close together, ie flying across town. You may try an early descent if on IFR plan and contact destination airport on a VFR plan at an earlier time to set up the program for completing the flight.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest kanadaken

I sometimes find the "unable to at this time" instruction from atc only at startup and request for clearance in my flight plan. I think it is said if my aircraft traffic levels in VOX and in FSX are turned up. I just thought that it was too busy for clearance "at this time". I have waited a long time, but sure'nuff I do eventually get clearance to taxi etc... Also when I turn down the air traffic volumes, I don't get this problem.Sometimes now while in cruise en route(v5,55), I hear just my call sign from atc, but no commands are given. This will happen several times (like the atc was interrupted or something), and then eventually she will give me the instructions. Overall, I have had no problems with 5.55. It seems even better!Ken