Sign in to follow this  
Guest TPT82

VoxATC X No squawk when IFR T/O from not towered airpor...

Guest TPT82

Hello,When I set up an IFR flight originating at a nontowered airport, I am never given a sqawk. I seem to recall having to contact FSS on the air when departing a nontowered airport. With the last two builds, I have not been given the option to contact Cleveland radio. Even without contacting FSS, whoever I speak to should give me a squawk. Usually, as I depart the area, I am prompted to call Cleveland Center. Sometimes I will get a local apprach controller first. When I get near my destination, I am told to reset my transponer and given a code. I am curious about getting ATIS info before contacting my destination approach controller. I am not prompted to do that. As a matter of fact, when I do tune in ATIS. I only get FSX's script rolling across the top of the screen. Again, my memory may be faulty. But, I thought that used to be a feature.Overall, I love the program. I hope I do not sound like I am nitpicking too much. I just want to see if I am doing something wrong, or if there is anything different I can do.If more info is needed to answer my questions, I will supply it. Thanks in advance.NickP.S. I just finished a very long day. I applogize in advance for poor grammer and spelling. I just wanted to get this out there before I went to sleep.

I know this is an older post but I had this problem last night.Is it possible to get IFR flight following after departing from a small airport without a tower?I tried out FSCommander last night and many of the flights start or end at small local airports.I would like to be able to have ATC if the weather is bad, even if my flight is from a small non-towered airport.Thanks,Toby

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

Well, I'm not 100% sure on this, just my thoughts; airports without a tower are likely to be in uncontrolled airspace, so it won't be a flight information region, hence no coverage by ATC. Additionally, I would think that these airfields are only operational under VMC. You are talking about approaching these airfields in IMC, which I don't think would be permitted. Chris

On the subject of Transponder codes, I'm not sure exactly how it is supposed to work from non-tower airports. There are times when I don't get a code, especially on short flights. I assume I'm just squawking on 1200 like on Vatsim. Other times, Center will give a code to squawk and Ident on. As far as ATIS, you won't hear anything if you tune in on Com2. ATIS will only work with VoxATC on Com1, so you'll want to request a temporary frequency change first. Otherwise, you can use Com2 to get FSX's version or look up the METAR report online for your destination airport.