Sign in to follow this  

Need Comments and also Help please

Hello All, Lately I have bought various add-ons and also read many reviews and posts about fs add-ons, and it seemed that my system was out dated. I had a P3 1.1GHz, 512Mb Ram and Creative GeForce 2 GTS, with a Maxtor 160Gb HD. With this sytem I used to reach 25fps on stock planes, with settings between low to medium. When I loaded in some add-ons (I don't like to mention particular companies, as I don't want to shatter some doubts on them, since it was my system in question) the fps dropped below 10 and usually sticked at 6 fps. So, after long thoughts I bought the best system on the market that was possible to reach financially. I bought the Pentium 4 3.06GHz (hyper-threading, it works like XEON), the ASUS P4G8X Deluxe motherboard, 1 GB of Generic Ram, the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro, and a complete cooler master case. Upgraded my monitor from 17" to 19" as well. Since I am still burning stuff from the 160Gb I had, as I am going to keep this same hard-disk on my new system, I would like to get some feedback/comments about this system, if it is good enough for FS 2002 and great add-ons. Yeah I know that it is a good system, coz I made a long homework before I went and bought it. But would like to know if someone has a similar system, and what fps he gets. The help I need is regarding the HD. The hard-disk is a Maxtor 160Gb Ultra ATA 133, and on the ASUS P4G8X I have the facility of on-board RAID controller as well as Serial ATA (SATA). I don't know heck about both of these options (i.e.:Raid & Sata). The motherboard supports ATA 100, and so I am loosing speed from the Maxtor Ultra ATA 133, and I could clearly see it so far!! I tried to load some Windows, and although I noticed an unbelievable speed, the HD through-put is slower then before!! Believe it or not. I really need to know if there is any possible method to hook up the ATA133 Hd with the Sata. I got an idea that with the Raid, you can hook up 2 identical HD and the system/windows will treat them as a single one. But that is not what I wanna do, although I don't have a clue how to do this either. I wish to know what Sata connectors are, and if there is any way to make it compatible with the ATA133, to get the best HD through-put speed possible. It's a shame to have a fast system with a slow HD. Any sort of help or comments will be greatly appreciated. I am in a desperate need of some help. Thanks alot for just reading folks. Kind Regards,AlexLMML

hi,it sounds like you have a good system there, but perhaps you should have invested in a 80 gig 7200rpm harddrive as well, as your old HDD may be getting old and may not last another 2 or 3 yrs till you upgrade again,i think you should post this in the hardware forum you may get a better response there,sorry i can't help you with things such as your HDD

Hi checkpointcharlie, It's a good answer, and I do really appreciate it very much. I will post it in another forum and see my luck. Thanks again sir.Sincerely,AlexLMML