Sign in to follow this  
Guest saudi_777

iFly 747-400 Panel SIDs and STARs

Guest stang

Hi AsimAt first glance it looks like I should be able to do this. However, I first have to finish a program to make procedures for the MdMax80 and finish a universal procedures making program before I can tackle the iFly 747.RegardsTerry

Guest michaelandre

Hi,For what it is worth, it seems to me that the Ifly terminal procedures syntax look very similar to the PSS terminal procedures syntax. If indeed they are identical the work would be limited to extract airports from the large PSS file and create one file per airport.Michael

Guest stang

Hi Michael.Yup, the formats look similar but iFly's has some data (like 5 flags) not in the PSS data, plus iFly has approach files and PSS does not. It also looks like iFly handles intercepts differently and the hardest is it does not have all the leg types PSS has but I have not fully analyzed the format yet. The bottom line is that the PSS format does not have all the data used by the iFly format so I will need to write another complete program.I am in the verify the output stage of the MdMax80 program. I have put aside the universal procedures development program to do the MdMax80 program. I need to finish them. I would hope to be able to get the iFly program going sometime next AIRAC cycle though, I hope.RegardsTerry

Hi Terry,Any news for the iFly community ? Would be very nice to have your wonderful terminal procedures also available for the iFly 747.Best regardsReinhard

Guest stang

Hello AsimI have looked into making procedures for the iFly 747 but ran into a problem that I don't know how to overcome.Waypoints such as climbing to an altitude, intercepting a radial, flying to a DME distance and crossing a radial are conditional. Conditional means that the intercept waypoint lat/long is unknown because the wind, the starting location, the airspeed, the starting altitude and starting heading are unknown. These items are needed to calculate the conditional waypoint lat/long. Even so iFly still requires a lat/long for those waypoints. They recommend the intercept be flown so that the lat/long can be found using FS04. This may be practical when someone is doing a small amount of SIDs/STARs/IAPs but not when dealing with over 1900 airports.So that is what is stopping me. Sorry, I simply do not know how to find the lat/long of conditional waypoints and there are 16097 of them. However, if a method becomes available or, iFly eliminates the requirement, I can give it a go.RegardsTerry

Terry,Have you ever tried what happens, if you supply a dummy LAT/LON for such conditional waypoints ? I think, PSS also need coordinates at conditional points but they use 91.000000 181.000000 in such a case.It's worth a try, if it works without correct coordinates as the AP should use other mechanisms to find the correct point.EDIT: Just read the documentation:3.3 About conditional pointIf one waypoint is also a conditional point, the FMC will fly under this condition till the condition is met (E.g. Reach one altitude or about to pass one DME). The conditional point has not a geographical coordinate, but the gauge still needs to set coordinates to help ND (navigation display) for drawing the route lines on the screen. We recommend users to check the coordinate values in your flight simulator before set the conditional point.Note: The coordinates only affect the display on ND, there

Terry,I have done some tests with manually created SIDs. For conditional waypoints you can indeed set any coordinate (also 91/181). The route is flown correctly. But there is one showstopper: The distance is calculated in a wrong way and therefore fuel prediction won't work. So a workaround for your problem might be, that you use the coordinates of the last fixed waypoint as coordinates for the conditional waypoints. Then the fuel calculation isn't that wrong and also the depiction of the route on the ND is not absolutely wrong at such points. Let's give it a try with this - of course not very elegant - solution.RegardsReinhard

Guest stang

Hello Reinhard,>that you use the coordinates of the last fixed waypoint>as coordinates for the conditional waypoints.I am not sure that is a good way to go either as it would make a zero distance between two and sometimes three waypoints. I will go another step though. I have written to the iFly team to get their take on the problem. I will proceed or not depending on what they come up with, if there is a practical solution. I did ask them though if they could patch the FMC to remove the conditional lat/long requirement. We will see.RegardsTerry

Terry,I know, this would be only a workaround and your solution to check this with the iFly team is quite better. So let's see, what they answer.ThanksReinhard

Guest stang

Hi AllThe iFly team is agreeable with my requests. They are in the process of creating a patch that will do away with the need to provide a lat/long for conditional waypoints. So, I have started writing my conversion program. No guarantee on when I'll get the beta cycle out though as I have some personal things coming up that will take up my time but I think by cycle 0608.RegardsTerry