Sign in to follow this  
downscc

PMDG SIDSTARS Update for KMDW Chicago Midway Intl

New upload to the AVSIM FS2004-Flight Plans library: Cycle 0603 PMDG SIDSTAR file by Terry Yingling revised 3/27/2006 by Dan Downs for KMDW Chicago-Midway Intl. All SID, STAR and ILS procedures edited as required to comply with current charts. Added I55 Visual Approach Rwy 13C to supplement poor default scenery in area with approach fixes; however, a right 90-deg turn to a short 2.2nm final adds a touch of difficulty. Missing DPs CISRO2 & MDW4 added with all enroute transitions. Minor updates to STARS and ILS approaches done to ensure compliance with current charts. All procedures originally distributed in Cycle 0603, including those not modified, are included in this file.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,I've just learned of your SIDSTAR updates and trying to figure out your update process. Are these indivudual SIDSTARS eventually being included in Terry's releases or do we to have always reinstall your specific SIDSTAR airport files after updating each month with Terry's procedure files? I am assuming your updates are probably being overwritten? Thanks...AL | KCHS - Charleston, AFB | Home of the 437AW (53 C-17's)

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Correct.. each new update overwrites the previous files. My solution has been to set aside customized or files from others in a separate directory... I use /PMDG/Archive. Then each update cycle has one more step... copy the file (not move) from the Archive to the SIDSTARS directory. I've just done my 10th procedure update upload, so I also keep information regarding revision dates.All my update procedures within the ???.txt file each have an Amdt or date for the procedure that is the same as shown on the chart. I review my updates each cycle to ensure that the information is still current. I intend to upload changes to my updates as required. Sometimes, a chart will get a change, but it doesn't impact the procedure data (it might be a new obstacle or something very minor), which in this case I note the update in my records but I don't intend to upload new files for such things. If a route, constraint, ect., is changed then I intend to upload those.I've been asked to post my updates to NAVData as well as AVSIM, I notice a lot more hits at AVSIM, but I intend to continue to upload to both locations.Note: I've got many intentions. I actually enjoy this stuff.How's CAFB?? Passed through there once on the way to Germany.USAF (RET)

Dan Downs KCRP

Roger that and thanks for the explanation. I'll do the same with archive directory. BTW, have you considered submitting these updates to Terry Yuengling's SIDSTARS packages? That would definitly help with the versioning. As for CAFB, it's still here and the metro area is growing exponentially. The new Cooper River Bridge (longest mainstay in the US) is now complete and they're blowing up sections of the old twin bridges monthly.AL | KCHS - Charleston, AFB | Home of the 437AW (53 C-17's)USN ET (6yo)

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Terry is providing a valuable service by parsing the government data, which creates a global product, whereas what I and a few others are doing is taking the parsed data and modifying it to work smoothly with a specific product (PMDG). These processes are complimentary but separate. For example, my modifications are intended for turbojets so where the global data may inlcude MEA contraints for obstruction I have replaced with procedural constraints. However, folks that are flying the PMDG B1900 would require turboprop constraints and would not be able to use my updates without minor tweaking.I sure am happy to find someone who has an interest is this subject. I notice that KCHS has neither DPs nor STARS, nor does SWA service your location, yet. My motivation has been to develop a suite of procedures for use flying the SWA system in the -700 aircraft.I found a beautiful Mercedes 190-SL in Sumpter SC, bought it from the original owner and shipped it to Germany from CHS. Then got on a stretched DC-9 (it was a long time ago) and stopped at Gander for fuel to make it to Frankfort. That was a great assignment! I sold that car to another American in Germany before rotating back, and have often wished I still had it.

Dan Downs KCRP